Swift Trawler 44 hull construction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
dumb question

Have you contacted the manufacturer?

I would guess they could give you a detailed account of the boats build. I would also guess this is not the first time they have heard from someone on this issue. If the white surface was in fact "shiny" when painted over, you are going to have more of this to deal with I would guess. Neither Gel coat nor paint will properly bond with a smooth surface unless there is a "dissolving' of the base coat. I have a hard time believing that Benneteau does not have a solid grasp of surface treatment. They could tell you if they applied the blue. If they did they should get involved.
Osmotic blistering on the blue gel, but not the white? Also unusual.
The cynic in me envisions something like this " hey boss, Daddy Warbucks wants that 44 we have been stuck with. Only problem is he wants it in blue". Boss says "so tell him the blue one will be here in two weeks, get a deposit and send it to the paint shop".
On the other hand, maybe Benneteau will tell you (when you call them) that they finish all their boats in white and paint them the color required by each order. In order to keep a level production run, or possibly to switch model production they may "build ahead".
It sounds as though you have a real find. I would not back away from it . I would dig in harder and get some answers. They are there. Good luck! Nice find! Bill

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom