Swift Trawler 44 - Emily B

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CeeBee

Vessel Name
Emily B
Vessel Make
Beneteau Swift Trawler 44'
Hi,

Just got turned onto this forum by RClarke.(Thanks Richard)!
Our home port is in San Francisco although she's currently in Marina Del Rey as we scored a slip there after our last trip down the California coast from SF to San Diego and we're loving discovering the cruising grounds there.

We've owned our Beneteau ST44 since May 2013. Since purchasing her she has gone up and down the California coast twice, with numerous coastal trips to Half Moon Bay, Santa Cruz, Monterrey and many day trips out and inside of "The Gate". We LOVE her! We can say that with at least 2000 miles of offshore cruising under her keel and probably 100 day trips in the SF Bay which as you probably know is not the kindest body of water in the world.

I have started a list of upgrades and findings that we have made during our adventures with her and will publish them at some point. You can find some of them in our previous posts. My wife also did a blog on our first trip down the coast. (Link below)

As you can imagine we have seen a lot of different sea states offshore, many strong ebbs across the SF Bar and through the Golden Gate and she has taken them in style and safely. I would not hesitate to recommend the boat. Our biggest complaint is the dealer we purchased her from which I would not recommend. (You can PM me for info)

The design, comfort, power plant, electronics, gen set, are all top shelf. Yes Beneteau is the largest boat manufacturer in the world but with that also comes deep pockets for R&D that frankly other builders can't afford.

Yes there are some items where they cut corners but none that effect the seaworthiness or safety. If you look at the way the wiring and electronics are installed, the way the engines and Gen Set are mounted, the way the Lazerettes are constructed and the drainage, Lewmar anchor windlass and mounting, all solid.

The little **** is the fact they use automation to make the woodwork (which we had a couple of cabinet doors replaced), the latches on the drawers and cabinets could be from Ikea. The gray water system is cheap. The stock anchor is a joke. The system using the boom rather than a real hoist for getting the dingy down is a drama.

Overall; solid, fun, reliable boat that has taken us on some amazing adventures with very little mechanical issues. (Knock on Teak)

Here is a link to our comments from our most recent trip down the California coast (SF to San Diego via Catalina)

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s36/sf-la-30-hours-21565.html

And my wifes blog from our first trip down.

Alameda to Catalina- A Coastal Journey: Gettin' Ship Shaped

Hope this info helps.

CB

Welcome to TF CB! Good reading, thanks for posting.

Hi CB,

Great posts! We also live in the SF Bay and just picked up a ST 44'. I'm curious about your choice of dinghy. Did you stick with the manufactures specs of 4'11" beam and if so what boat did you select?

Hey Aron, awesome you'll love her.
Glad the posts have been helpful.
Where do you have her docked?We've had the Emily B down South in Marina Del Rey since August but looks like a sweet weather window starting next Friday to bring her back uphill.
We got an Archilles Rib HB280DX with a 15HP short shaft Yamaha from Sals in Alameda. He also ordered the Swivel chocks stand. Sals is awesome. I'm sure you know You'll need a Bridal, we had ours custom designed after the purchase to make sure it was balanced with the weight of the engine.
Holla back if you have any other questions .
CB

CB,

We're in Alameda at OYC, would love to see how you have modified your boat when you're back in the bay.

CB,

We're in Alameda at OYC, would love to see how you have modified your boat when you're back in the bay.

Hey Aron, then we're neighbors! We keep her at Marina Village.
Happy to host you for a visit once we get her back up to the bay area.

CB

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom