Old 11-30-2017, 09:52 AM   #21

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Lady Di
Vessel Model: 2012 Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
I'm told that this vessel sunk. My guess is that it was electrical.
If the Key West boat out of Ft. Meyers got there at 10:00 AM I guessing that this happened somewhere off of Naples, FL.
rclarke246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:39 PM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Anacortes, WA
Vessel Name: Little Fish
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSF View Post

When cruising, especially at higher RPM for longer periods, I pop into the engine room every couple of hours with a temperature gun and do some cross checking just for peace of mind. When I took my "Ask Captain Chris" boat systems class, he suggested doing this and I found that my temp gauge at the helm is off by about 5 degrees low on port.

I take readings from both engines: Transmission, Exhaust Manifold, Turbo, Top of Engine, Middle near the injectors, Oil Pan. I can also read the starboard alternator without going down between the engines so I check that as well. The two engines typically only vary by about 3-4 degrees point to point.

My base temps on the top of the engines, injectors, and exhaust manifold run around 145 - 150 degrees, alternators 130, oil pan runs 150 - 160 degrees, and top of the turbo runs 170 - 180 degrees. So the turbo is the hottest item on the engine.

I did this a few times on a couple of day trips to get the averages at both high and low rpm for extended periods. Interestingly I found only about a 5 degree difference running at 1200 RPM for two hours and running at 2800 RPM for two hours. I keep a little cheat sheet on the engine room hatch so that when I read, I can quickly compare.

Note: If you are going to check your temps underway, I suggest spending a little extra and getting a good quality infrared temperature gun that has a high optical resolution like 10:1 or 12:1. This will give you a small reading area so you can shoot from the engine room hatch at a distance, rather than climbing into the engine room while underway.

I use an Etekcity Lasergrip 630 that has a 12:1 or 8:1 adjustable. Very happy with it. Got it from Amazon for $26.00. This replaced the Harbor Freight $8 gun that I wanted to chuck overboard (but just put in the trash to follow my garbage plan).

A couple of other interesting experiments with your temp gun are:

Confirm fuel level in the tanks. My fuel gauges were not working for a while, so after running for an hour or two I could shoot the side of the tanks (visible in my engine room) and see where the fuel level was. The hot diesel re-circulating back into the tanks was measurably warmer when reading the tank walls so I could get a good eyeball on the fuel level.

Also, check the temps about 5 minutes after you turn off the engines. They spike for a few minutes after cooling water stops circulating. The block on mine get's up to about 180 degrees. Not sure it this has any meaning, but I found it intresting. It feeds my inner Geek!
Great post!
Old 01-05-2018, 03:00 PM   #23
Veteran Member

City: Vero Beach
Vessel Name: Hanks Dream
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joebad View Post
First order of the day, put davits on your swim deck and mount the dinghy there or get a life raft. Those people were lucky! Also get an epirb!

This was close to home. The picture attached was my boat 2015 ST 44 Hanks Dream next to the grey 2015 ST44 which caught on fire. The picture was taken the day before the fire when docked at Conch Harbor Marina. The Captain, wife and son were heading back up toward Ft. Myers as we were returning to Vero beach. Interesting we talked about his tender which was upside down on the upper deck. I mentioned I had changed out my blocks to be able to lift it properly. He said they rarely take it down. Not sure if he has a life raft, we have one as well as the tender.

About 2 hours into our trip down Hawks Channel we heard the Pan Pan relating to a 44 foot trawler on fire NE of key West. Sad Day!

[IMG]http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=71859&stc=1&d=15151856 40
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1068.jpg  
Ole Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 03:47 PM   #24
Guru

City: Z
Vessel Model: tbd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Hank View Post
This was close to home. The picture attached was my boat 2015 ST 44 Hanks Dream next to the grey 2015 ST44 which caught on fire. The picture was taken the day before the fire when docked at Conch Harbor Marina. The Captain, wife and son were heading back up toward Ft. Myers as we were returning to Vero beach. Interesting we talked about his tender which was upside down on the upper deck. I mentioned I had changed out my blocks to be able to lift it properly. He said they rarely take it down. Not sure if he has a life raft, we have one as well as the tender.

About 2 hours into our trip down Hawks Channel we heard the Pan Pan relating to a 44 foot trawler on fire NE of key West. Sad Day!

[IMG]http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=71859&stc=1&d=15151856 40
Have you spoken since? Would be great to get some further information on what happened..
boater3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 04:12 PM   #25

Yes, I've not heard a word about the cause of this fire. Any info will be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:24 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystery View Post
Have you spoken since? Would be great to get some further information on what happened..
no just talked the one time
Old 01-05-2018, 05:17 PM   #27
Guru

City: Z
Vessel Model: tbd
Know the boat name? Perhaps we can look up contact info.
boater3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 06:50 PM   #28
Veteran Member

sorry
Old 01-05-2018, 08:20 PM   #29
Guru

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Speedy Charlotte
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
The Beneteau execs said it's likely the cause will remain a mystery.
MichaelB1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 10:37 PM   #30
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB1969 View Post
The Beneteau execs said it's likely the cause will remain a mystery.
Likely it will remain a secret and I'm not suggesting that Beneteau is the one holding the secret.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 10:18 AM   #31

Well, if the fire was due to unsafe behavior by someone on board I would think that Beneteau would want that news out there to quell any critics. On the other hand, if it was some problem within the boat I'm sure that it will be a "long investigation".

It worries me that there has been NO NEWS whatsoever. Also, there must be more video than the one featured on the TV news segment.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:56 AM   #32
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclarke246 View Post
Well, if the fire was due to unsafe behavior by someone on board I would think that Beneteau would want that news out there to quell any critics. On the other hand, if it was some problem within the boat I'm sure that it will be a "long investigation".

It worries me that there has been NO NEWS whatsoever. Also, there must be more video than the one featured on the TV news segment.
If it's something like that, it would still be without 100% proof and Beneteau not about to speak about it. There may also be litigation of any number of types, such as owner vs. insurer and insurer vs. Beneteau for not anticipating an idiot owner. Not saying this one is, just the type suits that transpire.

There is seldom more news on fires of this type. To the world at large it's not a huge event. We normally never know what is found in the investigation by law enforcement or insurer. Insurer's investigation is the only one generally to get into cause unless it was some form of crime and often they won't spend much time unless they somehow believe they wouldn't be responsible. However, unless it was intentional or the builder can be blamed, then they really don't care too much beyond that.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 11:12 AM   #33
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
There probably will not be much of an investigation as the boat is lost and somewhere on the bottom of the GOM. Not much return on finding it, floating it and doing an investigation.

There are three parties that know the most: Owner/operator on board at the time, insurer and manufacturer. There is little gain for any to put what they know out to the public. Hashing it out among themselves, quietly.

Coasties probably knows very little aside from 1. there was a fire, 2. boat was lost, 3. no casualties.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 02:31 AM   #34
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Scot Free
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 53' Efficient
Its likely that the cause is unknown, even to the persons on board. They might know the rough area where it started but if was already well engaged before it was discovered then everything would be just conjecture without an expert analysis. And that’s unlikely with the boat on the bottom of the Gulf.
McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote