Old 09-10-2018, 02:26 PM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Whidbey
I have run into this kind of wandering particularly on catamarans. Catamarans tend to wander at anchor a considerable amount. On them, a bridal from both sides of the bow to the rode helps a considerable amount. This initiates the correction earlier in the swing. A similar solution may help you reduce the Tacking". I have also left a reefed mizzen up on a ketch to minimize this issue too. The tarp on the tug mentioned above serves to similarly create a weather helm scenario while at anchor reducing the wandering.
BYNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 03:21 PM   #22
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I am currently testing out using unequal leg lengths on my bridle. It seems to help keep the bow from swinging both ways and just keep it swinging one way.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 07:56 PM   #23

City: port orchard, wa
Vessel Name: skybird
Vessel Model: skookum/one off
had a westsail 32 that like to do that! so, after some thinking, i connected a line to the thru hull eyebolt at the water line, that the bowsprit wqs attached to, and when anchoring, i had a way to tie it to my anchor line, so when the boat was pulling on the anchor line at the water line, not up on the bowsprit! it worked for about 90% of the swimming! one thing, i had 100 feet chain, and 300 feet of line! now eveyone has a bridle, connected to the chain, my thinking is to stop the chain rattle at nite!...another thing i do when tieing to a moorage bouy, if there is any wind/tide, i tie what i call, 'side sadle!" so the wind holds me away from the bouy!...clyde
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 12:47 PM   #24
Guru

City: Z
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
had a westsail 32 that like to do that! so, after some thinking, i connected a line to the thru hull eyebolt at the water line, that the bowsprit wqs attached to, and when anchoring, i had a way to tie it to my anchor line, so when the boat was pulling on the anchor line at the water line, not up on the bowsprit! it worked for about 90% of the swimming! one thing, i had 100 feet chain, and 300 feet of line! now eveyone has a bridle, connected to the chain, my thinking is to stop the chain rattle at nite!...another thing i do when tieing to a moorage bouy, if there is any wind/tide, i tie what i call, 'side sadle!" so the wind holds me away from the bouy!...clyde
can you please elaborate on "side sadle" ? thanks
mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 01:57 PM   #25
Guru

Any updates? Since switching to all chain, bridle, and using rocker stoppers we have had good experience, but it could be luck. We get to anchor when possible, and backup is mooring.
Old 08-28-2021, 10:13 PM   #26
Veteran Member

City: Camden, TN
Vessel Name: Toscana
Vessel Model: Island Gypsy 44 Flushdeck
A made for purpose mast is required, attached is mine.Click image for larger version

Name:	101_0171.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	120575
jgtrucking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 11:19 AM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtrucking View Post
A made for purpose mast is required, attached is mine.Attachment 120575
Is that a Trump flag?
Old 08-29-2021, 06:45 PM   #28
Veteran Member

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Shady Grove
Vessel Model: TMC Custom 41 Trawler & S-2 10.3 Sail
Last month we took a mooring from Safe Harbor Beaufort SC to ride out TS Danny. Winds were probably a steady 35kt maybe gusting to 40kt . My boat was tacking back and forth 60 degrees in each direction . Every time the boat tacked back in the other direction the approx 3 or maybe 4 diameter tether from the 36 diameter mooring ball would snap tight and completely submerge the mooring ball. No way my anchor could endure such force and stay set. I am going to work on a riding sail, fortunately I have a mast that can handle it.
BigTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 10:27 PM   #29
Veteran Member

City: Camden, TN
Vessel Name: Toscana
Vessel Model: Island Gypsy 44 Flushdeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystery View Post
Is that a Trump flag?
Yes
jgtrucking is offline   Reply With Quote