ST44 AC Seawater Filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scott Barnard

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Laurel Sommers
Vessel Make
Beneteau ST44 (2014)
Just replace one of two with a larger capacity filter. In our Georgia waters we have a lot of 'debris' which requires frequent cleaning. Had two pumps go 'out' from lack of water flow (we think). Replaced the hose from thru-hull to filter and from filter to pump with 1" vs 3/4" originally installed with the very small filters. So far so good. I believe Beneteau sized this system for only one AC per filter/pump in Europe, and added the second for USA, which may have caused the system to starve the pumps. Also nice to have a 'glass' bowl to see condition of the filter. Comments and feedback welcome, Scott

I am curious as to what you installed. I was debating on doing the same. A picture or two would be great if you have them.

Please share all parts, model #s, links, so other owners can contemplate updating theirs

New filters are Groco ARG-750-P 3/4" STR, Non-Metallic Basket. I love the 'glass' bowl which makes it hard to not check the filter for debris / easy to keep her clean. Photo of the Stbd installation attached, note the short run from filter to pump (which Marsh Pumps recommends in their installation lit, with no curves (which is not how the ST44 comes)). Also note the mounting board for the filter, which as a PVC board cut to wedge shape to allow mounting the filter vertical. Lastly, note we have replaced all 3/4" hoses with 1" to allow for greater flow to the pump.

It is my belief that many European versions have little (one per pump) or no AC. When Beneteau ships to the US with two ACs pulling off one pump - the pump can be stressed by having to work too hard to pull intake water thru the smaller hoses and filter. We had two pumps go bad on us in a year - with these replacements we hope to not see that again.

Port is a little more difficult as the pump exits want to lead forward, so we kept the pump mounting on the rear bulkhead and mounted the filter inboard of the pump on the same bulkhead. This created a longer intake hose with two 90d fittings (all in 1") and kept the shorter run from filter to pump as Marsh Pumps wants.

Third photo is the 'original' smaller filter unit. Note that the barbed exit fitting which was ~7 years old was so thin it almost broke. Imagine what a problem that would be if un-attended! So - I highly recommend everyone check these fittings if you don't replace the whole thing.

So far working fine ... will let y'all know if that changes.

Thanks all, hope this helps.

Scott & Nancy Barnard

Attachments

• AC Seawater Filter Starboard 2021-10.jpg
    AC Seawater Filter Starboard 2021-10.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 2021-10 AC Seawater Filter Port.jpg
    2021-10 AC Seawater Filter Port.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 2021-09 Old Seawater Filter.jpg
    2021-09 Old Seawater Filter.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 5
Very nice install. Looks Great

Looks like a great upgrade. Just a word of caution though. If those elbows are brass, keep an eye on them with the contact with salt water.

Thanks for sharing. Some thoughts...

I like the clear bowls.

The starboard side strainer is mounted too high IMO. Perhaps needs to be lowered and pump raised?

Also if the strainer is 3/4" I don't see the benefit to switching to 1" hose...?

Finally, did your entire pumps really burn up or just the impeller? I run the pumps for 7-8 months 24x7 per year and on average have one impeller failure per year (for two pumps, so usually only one impeller goes). I have attributed it to a blockage or debris that is floating by, always happens in heat mode, and per dometic, the units don't auto shutdown when there is a water flow issue on heat mode, only cooling mode. It doesn't take too long to swap the impeller. The motor in the pumps are heavy duty and it would take a lot to kill one, but the plastic in the impeller housing isn't the best (they do sell upgraded housing/impellers but doing a CBA its not cost effective and could actually lead to the motor being damaged if not caught quick).

Last edited:
Did the same mod a few years ago

Also went with Groco's, them OEM strainers didn't work to well and were undersized for the large pump circuit. Works like a champ, the OEMs would pass things like pine needles, saw some hanging out the discharge, WT???? moment:banghead::).

That hose barb in your original setup appears to be brass which violates pretty much every boat building guideline/standard because it leads to exactly the sort of failure that you narrowly avoided. I'd suggest confirming that those ball valves are bronze, and not brass. It looks like your new fittings are bronze, but I can't tell for sure from the pictures, and even then it's often hard to tell.

That hose barb in your original setup appears to be brass which violates pretty much every boat building guideline/standard because it leads to exactly the sort of failure that you narrowly avoided. I'd suggest confirming that those ball valves are bronze, and not brass. It looks like your new fittings are bronze, but I can't tell for sure from the pictures, and even then it's often hard to tell.

Very true...

https://www.proboat.com/2012/07/beware-the-brass/

Back
Top Bottom