ST44 2014 Helm Door

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scott Barnard

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Laurel Sommers
Vessel Make
Beneteau ST44 (2014)
Our helm door is acting up, the top pin which slides down is not coming down enough to clear the catches at the top.

Beneteau maintenance in Charleston suggests we 'screw' the pin down (clockwise looking down) and they say this is not easy. They also say it is very difficult to remove the door if needed.

Curious if anyone has experience in fixing this?

Thanks, Scott & Nancy

Have you tried using dry lubricant (if there is even anywhere to insert nozzle)?

I wonder if it possible to take apart part of the door/mechanism without removing the entire door (which I agree is probably a total PITA).

My helm door is definitely stiffer than the salon door but a forceful depress seems to do the trick.

Possible good news from Jean Michel, maintenance manager of St. Barts in Charleston, and our Beneteau rep - he has seen this several times and has recently used the following fix:

using a small wire with 'plastic' casing (low voltage electrical or the like) pass a full loop over the top of the pin (clockwise looking down) and pull on the right end to spin the pin clockwise (looking down).

I look forward to trying this soon and will let y'all know if/how it works

Scott & Nancy

Possible good news from Jean Michel, maintenance manager of St. Barts in Charleston, and our Beneteau rep - he has seen this several times and has recently used the following fix:

using a small wire with 'plastic' casing (low voltage electrical or the like) pass a full loop over the top of the pin (clockwise looking down) and pull on the right end to spin the pin clockwise (looking down).

I look forward to trying this soon and will let y'all know if/how it works

Scott & Nancy

Thanks! Please do keep us posted. Pics/videos are helpful! :)

Worked like a 'charm' ... case closed (I hope)

Attachments

• IMG_5103.jpg
    IMG_5103.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5101.jpg
    IMG_5101.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 8

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom