ST-44 / Volvo D4 - Fresh Water Flush

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nhislander

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
No Regrets
Vessel Make
Swift Trawler 44
Does anyone fresh-water flush their cooling system on the Volvo D4?

If so, how? Has anyone found (or made...) replacement sea strainer cap (for the Volvo d4...) with a hose fitting? Note, I have seen some products (Trac Flushcap) but they don't look compatible with the Volvo Sea Strainer cap?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts/help...

Dave

I just take off the strainer cap and use a hose with a valve to control the fresh water flow. When close to being done, I add Salt Away. Easy location to turn the engine off

But I wish there was an easier way!!!!

Maybe just replace the strainer with a Groco strainer and then use the ready made caps with a hose fitting. I have 2 of them for my strainers. Or you could use a Sea Flush fitting to introduce the water into the strainer. I use it on my main engines for winterizing.

I just take off the strainer cap and use a hose with a valve to control the fresh water flow. When close to being done, I add Salt Away. Easy location to turn the engine off

Wow that actually seems simple... I just assumed that water would spill out everywhere... Do you do this with the raw water through hull open or closed? Also, I assume the engine is running at idle? Could you explain the sequence of what you do?

Wow that actually seems simple... I just assumed that water would spill out everywhere... Do you do this with the raw water through hull open or closed? Also, I assume the engine is running at idle? Could you explain the sequence of what you do?

It depends on how the strainer is mounted. On my boat taking the top off is a sure way to test the bilge pumps...

A couple folks have installed fresh water flush for their engines and generator on the ST44. I think one was posted here and one was posted on the FB group. I dont see the point really, at least based on our past few years of usage of our ST44. We cruise for months some times, hop from place to place, I think it would be very annoying to flush after every engine use, and we use the generator when at anchor so would only be able to flush when back at the dock. How much life does that really add? Probably not enough to warrant the cost to install, and annoyance of having to do it? Idk.. I also have outboard boats and dont flush them. I flushed one some times that was just a day boat but then said whats the point. I dont flush my dinghy engine.

Kind of a significant step worth mentioning.

1) Close the seacock
2) Remove the lid to the sea strainer
3) Insert hose into sea strainer

NOTE: I have an inline shut-off with another foot of cut off hose beyond that. This ensure I have control of the water flow AND prevents spraying everywhere (Like your finger over the open hose end) when you crack the shutoff part way. Otherwise, the water pressure from the spigot is typically significantly greater than the flow the engine requires. I dial in the water volume with the shutoff to prevent overflowing the sea strainer. If the water level in the strainer starts to go down, crack the valve a little more. If it starts to overflow, close it a little. You will eventually get it dialed in.

4) It's significantly easier if you have someone standing at the ignition who can start the engine as you turn on and tweek the water flow. They should be standing by to shut down the engine when yo holler as well.

This is how I flush the system in the fall when getting ready to winterize. It's also how I test the engine before launching in the spring.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom