Purchase 2018 44 Swfit trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anchor washdown. Has anyone added a anchor washdown to the 44T.

We thought about it. What we did was convert the salt water wash down to fresh water (very easy) and just run a hose from that port to the anchor. Only issue is some times we stay in very muddy areas and wish it was salt water, not fresh water we were wasting, so I might put in a selection valve or convert it back to saltwater.

My original thought was some times we would go to a mooring or anchorage for a week and I wanted to rinse the boat from the trip before salt baked in the sun.

Last edited:
We thought about it. What we did was convert the salt water wash down to fresh water (very easy) and just run a hose from that port to the anchor. Only issue is some times we stay in very muddy areas and wish it was salt water, not fresh water we were wasting, so I might put in a selection valve or convert it back to saltwater.

My original thought was some times we would go to a mooring or anchorage for a week and I wanted to rinse the boat from the trip before salt baked in the sun.

Where did you connect the tee in to the freshwater system.Thanks

Where did you connect the tee in to the freshwater system.Thanks

where the hose connected from the tank to the fresh water pump. i put in a T, it just split between the fresh water pump and wash down pump, which was right above the fresh water pump. i dont have a picture.

where the hose connected from the tank to the fresh water pump. i put in a T, it just split between the fresh water pump and wash down pump, which was right above the fresh water pump. i dont have a picture.

You could add a second spigot, one salt, the other fresh.

Thats a major project and I dont know where I'd add it.
To me, the difficult part is running the supply hose to the chain lock. Then, it a short trip up through the deck and putting a fitting on deck opposite side of the bow pulpit.

To me, the difficult part is running the supply hose to the chain lock. Then, it a short trip up through the deck and putting a fitting on deck opposite side of the bow pulpit.

Yeah, so my five minute project would become way more involved. I'd rather connect a hose at the existing fixture. Not to say its not impossible, as there are large gauge wires for the windlass, a hose could possibly follow the same/similar path...

Yeah, so my five minute project would become way more involved. I'd rather connect a hose at the existing fixture. Not to say its not impossible, as there are large gauge wires for the windlass, a hose could possibly follow the same/similar path...

or along the same run as the current hose.
Just a thought.

With a spigot only 15 feet away why not use a coiled water hose? We've done that since our vessel was new.

Mystery
Thanks for the input. I may just run a hose up to the bow when necessary. I feel what you have is a good set up. Hard to believe Beneteau would build a boat at this price point with no anchor wash down. Thanks

Steve

Hi all
I want to share an issue that my surveyor discovered during the survey of my 2018 44ST.
He observed a battery cable for the generator improperly installed under the generator that had the insulation rubbed through and would have led to a fire.Please check your cables for this issue.View attachment 111824

Thanks again for sharing this. I inspected my setup today. Nothing better to do when its 25 degrees out...

Mine is about .5-1" away from the corner of the generator. Its held down / in-place by a couple zip tie downs.

Nonetheless, this presents a good reason to inspect cables, hoses, etc.

Thanks again for sharing this. I inspected my setup today. Nothing better to do when its 25 degrees out...

Mine is about .5-1" away from the corner of the generator. Its held down / in-place by a couple zip tie downs.

Nonetheless, this presents a good reason to inspect cables, hoses, etc.

Glad to hear your cable is good shape.

Hi all

What rpm do you typically maintain at cruise.

Hi all

What rpm do you typically maintain at cruise.

depends. there is hull speed cruise. i think thats 9.7mph for our 39'9" hull? please check my math.

then there are faster cruises. highly depend on conditions, wind, currents, propeller pitch/tuning, load (fuel, water, gear, persons), etc.

typically on longer trips we hover around 3000 rpm and if conditions and load arent bad, maybe push to 3250 if we are trying to make a deadline and aren't heavily loaded. some times we start at 3000 rpm until we are down to half fuel and then push a little harder. at 3000 rpm we see between 17-22mph, average 20mph, depending on the variables. at 3250 we see 20-25mph, average 23mph, again depending on the variables. i was on a river with strong current, 3250 rpm, barely making 16mph, river had a current of 7+mph against me.

i think volvo says technically you can do 1 hour WOT for every 8 hours. we only do WOT to exercise, up to 5 minutes at a time, and to check WOT RPM. higher rpm/load on an engine usually equates to lower engine life but lower rpm, especially with a turbo, also isn't good for it, so best to find a happy medium. they also recommend a cruising speed 10% below the maximum rpm at WOT (which again can vary depending on conditions, load, etc).

We usually see what WOT RPM we can get when starting each trip. Some times its 3650, some times 3590. Tides, wind, fuel level, changing during a trip can also cause it to change during a trip. some times one engine will vary from the other too, usually depending on which direction the wind, current is coming from, and some times where people/gear is on the boat. we will take the lower RPM WOT and consider that the RPM WOT even if the other engine is higher RPM WOT. they match pretty identically in neutral conditions and moderate load.

generally with turbos you want to exercise them and have some turbo psi to dry out condensation and at the same time you want to allow them to spool down and cool down after a longer trip.

you'll also see your fuel burn vary wildly depending on conditions, load, etc. some times we see 3250 rpm giving us 23mph and 23gph, so 1mpg, other times that could be 25-26+ gph at same rpm. we aim for 1mpg or better but some times conditions and time lines just dont allow it.

Last edited:
On our trip home from Ft Myers I ran at 2800 RPM 16,5 Knot average 18 gal per hour. I am very pleased the way the boat performed. I ran out in the Gulf 3-4 ft. seas very comfortable ride. Planning to be out this weekend. I will run the boat through the RPM range and get better acquainted with the boat.At 2800 RPM I was seeing 15 lbs of boost.What is boost pressure at wide open. Thanks for your input.

On our trip home from Ft Myers I ran at 2800 RPM 16,5 Knot average 18 gal per hour. I am very pleased the way the boat performed. I ran out in the Gulf 3-4 ft. seas very comfortable ride. Planning to be out this weekend. I will run the boat through the RPM range and get better acquainted with the boat.At 2800 RPM I was seeing 15 lbs of boost.What is boost pressure at wide open. Thanks for your input.

3-4 foot beam seas will be a different story (also period depends)

i dont remember WOT turbo boost off-hand

Hi all want to share an issue that was found during survey. Rusted and corroded steering lines located under upper helm. All replaced under warranty. See pics before and after.

Attachments

• K0wNFprg steering lines.jpeg
    K0wNFprg steering lines.jpeg
    9 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_1848 new.JPG
    IMG_1848 new.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 27
I will have to put that on my list to check.

I will have to put that on my list to check.

Yes make sure you check your fittings. Hard to believe the fittings corroded to this extent in 3 yrs.

Yes, something to check! Thanks for the warning.

Hi all want to share an issue that was found during survey. Rusted and corroded steering lines located under upper helm. All replaced under warranty. See pics before and after.

wow, going to go take a look, i've poked my head in that area before and nothing caught my eye but worth a second look

what fittings were used? were they supplied by Beneteau or sourced locally/through another distributor?

wow, going to go take a look, i've poked my head in that area before and nothing caught my eye but worth a second look

what fittings were used? were they supplied by Beneteau or sourced locally/through another distributor?

The new fittings are copper the old were some sort of white metal. My dealer contracted a local hydraulic repair company who crimped on new fittings. They really should be stainless. The tech recommended wrapping the fittings with grease tape commonly used on commercial fishing boat hydraulic systems I ordered a roll on Amazon.

Last edited:
This may sound like a dumb question. How do you access the area behind the master stateroom bathroom mirror.Is there storage behind the mirror.

The new fittings are copper the old were some sort of white metal. My dealer contracted a local hydraulic repair company who crimped on new fittings. They really should be stainless. The tech recommended wrapping the fittings with grease tape commonly used on commercial fishing boat hydraulic systems I ordered a roll on Amazon.

yes, was going to say they should be stainless.

This may sound like a dumb question. How do you access the area behind the master stateroom bathroom mirror.Is there storage behind the mirror.

unfortunately i dont think there is any storage behind the mirror. we got organization bins and put everything up on the wood area, in front of the window, looks pretty cluttered though.

Checked mine out, thankfully they look fine, I don't know that I would've been too happy with yet another boat project, added to my annual checklist, thanks again for the heads up!

Checked mine out, thankfully they look fine, I don't know that I would've been too happy with yet another boat project, added to my annual checklist, thanks again for the heads up!

Glad to hear that your fittings are in good shape.What year is your boat

glad to hear that your fittings are in good shape.what year is your boat

i kinda wonder if someone sprayed cleaner in your compartment and that caused it? i have never cleaned the inside of the compartment there. at most some fresh water gets in from rain and washing outside the compartment.

other possibilities are different (inferior) materials were used or some how salt water got in there, perhaps the hydraulic cables were laying on the floor and not suspended in the air (which mine are)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom