Old 11-19-2022, 08:06 AM   #21
Guru

City: Z
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
OK thanks. Anyone seen a ST52 on the East coast of the USA? I am mainly curious to actually look at one in person, even if its just the exterior. I know there are very few in the USA to begin with. I will consider buying from other locales but we were just hoping to get eyes on one in real life.
boater3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 09:53 AM   #22
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
If the Volvos pass a mechanical survey I wouldn't let them scare you away from an otherwise beautiful boat.

The consensus around here regarding Volvos seems to be parts availability and long delays in getting them. I am not sure if they are referring to common "consumable" parts like impellers, starters, alternators and misc. bolt on accessories but I would order a few of the most common replacement parts right away and have them in your parts locker.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 10:56 AM   #23
Guru

City: Z
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Meisinger View Post
If the Volvos pass a mechanical survey I wouldn't let them scare you away from an otherwise beautiful boat.

The consensus around here regarding Volvos seems to be parts availability and long delays in getting them. I am not sure if they are referring to common "consumable" parts like impellers, starters, alternators and misc. bolt on accessories but I would order a few of the most common replacement parts right away and have them in your parts locker.

pete
Thanks. I had volvos in my last boat, smaller version of this boat. I am well versed in Volvo. I think they stink as a company. They make it very difficult on the end user to get basic information or support. Their dealer networks are weak. My question is not about whether Volvos are OK but really if this particular Cummins is a good engine.
boater3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 12:11 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I have not seen any Cummins engine to be a bad engine. And IMO any Cummins is better than a Volvo due to the lack of support.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote