Old 07-27-2020, 09:50 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: ri
Looking at ST 44 2016 - 2019, good/bad/ugly...

Wondering if those with one of these could give some general impressions.

Coming from a sailing cat, can't do that anymore. But am looking for a boat that can faster than 8kts if needed. I would like something that if I want to do 50mi I can get there at lunch, not dinner. The ST44 hits that.

Q1. Would you buy this boat again? That says alot.
Q2. I had a Bene sailboat, and Lagoon, so I know the family. But I know nothing about their powerboats. I always thought that if you compared to the GM Chevy/Olds/Caddy , the Benes were the olds. Upscale, but not top of the line.
Q3. Anything I should be looking for in those years?
Q4. Anything I should know about in general?
Q5. Dealer is pushing the new 41, I like the galley placement better, but there are a few used boats in the 400hr range, which I assume is close to new like that are about 20% less than new. Does the 41 have anything else major in the running of the boat over the 44?

Thanks!

jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 08:29 PM   #2

City: FL
Vessel Model: Benneteau Swift 42
Similar background, had a Bene 36.7 great sailboat a sister-ship won the Newport to Burmuda, the swift42 has much the same quality,

Don't spend $$ on new if U find the right boat used.

lipets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:30 PM   #3
Guru

City: Z
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
Wondering if those with one of these could give some general impressions.

Coming from a sailing cat, can't do that anymore. But am looking for a boat that can faster than 8kts if needed. I would like something that if I want to do 50mi I can get there at lunch, not dinner. The ST44 hits that.

Q2. I had a Bene sailboat, and Lagoon, so I know the family. But I know nothing about their powerboats. I always thought that if you compared to the GM Chevy/Olds/Caddy , the Benes were the olds. Upscale, but not top of the line.
Q5. Dealer is pushing the new 41, I like the galley placement better, but there are a few used boats in the 400hr range, which I assume is close to new like that are about 20% less than new. Does the 41 have anything else major in the running of the boat over the 44?

Thanks!
Spend some hours (or days) reading this forum and join the swift trawler group on facebook. Tons and tons of info from owners. I dont have the energy or time to summarize it all for you. I have probably fixed/tweaked/adjusted 100+ things on my ST44. Beneteau is not known for perfect or close to perfect boats...

Many of the issues carried over through each year, i dont think 2016-2019 is much (if any) different than prior model years. Luckily I purchased the boat when it was just turning two years old, the original buyer took the initial depreciation hit, and it was still under warranty, so most of the repairs have been done at Beneteau's expense. I bonded with a few ST44 owners who knew their stuff and we all basically figured out every single issue, how to adjust, and fix, on our own boats.

I am thinking of moving up in size, so mine might be for sale soon, its currently near RI, but really was trying to enjoy the boat for a year or two since I spent so much time, energy, money, blood, and sweat.

I do not like the new styles. I dont know what Beneteau was thinking. Some are not functional with couch in way of door, poor seating layouts, etc. They really could've perfected the ST44 with a little effort.
mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 03:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

City: Auckland

Yes

They are good but not a Flemming 55

shafts! Engine wobble. Get an engineer to come on the sea trial.

We've had a few problems with voids but all been fixed.

The 44 is a great boat for us, we live on it for 3+ months in the summer up in the Bay of Islands, New Zealand. A water maker and lithium batteries help with that. I have an RS Aero sailing dinghy on the roof so I also get my sailing fix.
KiwiClive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 05:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

City: ri
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystery View Post
Spend some hours (or days) reading this forum and join the swift trawler group on facebook. Tons and tons of info from owners. I dont have the energy or time to summarize it all for you. I have probably fixed/tweaked/adjusted 100+ things on my ST44. Beneteau is not known for perfect or close to perfect boats...

Many of the issues carried over through each year, i dont think 2016-2019 is much (if any) different than prior model years. Luckily I purchased the boat when it was just turning two years old, the original buyer took the initial depreciation hit, and it was still under warranty, so most of the repairs have been done at Beneteau's expense. I bonded with a few ST44 owners who knew their stuff and we all basically figured out every single issue, how to adjust, and fix, on our own boats.

I am thinking of moving up in size, so mine might be for sale soon, its currently near RI, but really was trying to enjoy the boat for a year or two since I spent so much time, energy, money, blood, and sweat.

I do not like the new styles. I dont know what Beneteau was thinking. Some are not functional with couch in way of door, poor seating layouts, etc. They really could've perfected the ST44 with a little effort.
Thanks. Didn't know about the FB group. Will check it out. I keep my boat in RI. Also looking at Greenline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiClive View Post

Yes

They are good but not a Flemming 55

shafts! Engine wobble. Get an engineer to come on the sea trial.

We've had a few problems with voids but all been fixed.

The 44 is a great boat for us, we live on it for 3+ months in the summer up in the Bay of Islands, New Zealand. A water maker and lithium batteries help with that. I have an RS Aero sailing dinghy on the roof so I also get my sailing fix.
Appreciate the detailed answers. Just looked up RS Aero. I had Laser #74, but that was I think also 73/74? Couldn't imagine sailing that now ;-)
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote