Old 09-10-2018, 02:12 PM   #1
Guru

City: Z
Vessel Model: tbd
Hurricane preparedness

What do you fellow ST 44 owners do to prepare for a hurricane, specific to the model? I have read you should plug exhaust ports. How do you do that?

Other items I was thinking of:
- Check your insurance policy to make sure in force, adequate coverage, storm deductible, and you are not in a geographic area not covered during certain months (i.e. hurricane season), there are no special storm requirements (i.e. some say you must haul)
- Off-load your fresh water tanks to reduce weight to keep boat higher
- Make sure all drains are clear and working
- Make sure bilge pumps are working
- Make sure windows and port holes are tight
- Remove all cushions/covers but what about covering upper helm electronics?
- Remove all canvas, bimini top, secure frame well
- Have an extra large fenders (i.e. buoy style) available and double-up fenders. Make sure you secure fenders so they will not pop up. Might need to weigh down with weight on rope dropped into water or attach securely to dock (with no metal hardware protruding)
- Have extra large diameter and set of dock lines available (at least 3/4") and double up dock lines
- Have snubbers on bow, stern, and spring lines to help absorb load
- Lower mast? If so, guessing block with a 2x4 and tie-down?
- Secure/remove anchor unless you plan on deploying it for added stability
- Remove any valuables/expensive gear
- Consider discussing with a dock neighbor, tying your boats together to keep both off dock?
- Dock in a protected area if possible, i.e. inner harbor, if you have a SAFE land haul option, consider that (but you will likely want something above flood zone which is rare)
- Survey docks/pilings to make sure they are high enough to keep the dock secure during storm surge. Walk docks and alert dock staff of any issues, i.e. rusted or missing parts of dock that might not hold up during hurricane
- Close all through-hulls (i.e. engines, generator, shaft, wash down, etc) except drains
- Survey area around and boat neighbors for things that may become airborne
- Ensure propane tanks secured/turned off
- Take pictures of your boat before and after in case you need to submit insurance claim and prove the storm did damage
- Make an inventory of all equipment/accessories/gear left aboard your yacht in case of loss/replacement is necessary
- Secure all drawers, kitchen items, glassware, other items that could cause damage if the boat is rocking and rolling
- Secure any TVs not permanently mounted to prevent their falling
- Consider adding adequate diesel should power be out for a long time after the storm and you do not have back up generator at your home but you can safely get to your boat and run its generator
- Store fresh bottled water aboard in case you retreat to your boat after the storm and need safe drinking water
- Activate any security cameras/systems in case looting takes place
- Ensure you have a plan in place to check on boat immediately after storm (i.e. to make sure not taking on water, boat is still secured to dock, neighboring boats are not too close, or other issue), if you are not near by have a buddy that can check
- If you have a dinghy on the fly bridge, consider removing, or securing extra well

Thoughts/comments/additions?
boater3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 01:19 PM   #2
Guru

so as a follow-up, someone suggested inflating a sports ball in the exhaust port.
Old 10-20-2018, 02:46 PM   #3
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystery View Post
so as a follow-up, someone suggested inflating a sports ball in the exhaust port.
I don't have your boat model.
But I have underwater exhaust extensions. They angle the exhaust 90 degrees down, then out at 45 degrees.
They attach on the outside of the hull and they do quiet the exhaust quite a bit too.
Made of a very hard rubber, and these are from mid 1960's. and in excellent condition.
When new, they had very long legs and could be cut to fit your boat.

I have tried with and without and they do not affect the power of the engine. Their tail end is even with the hull bottom, so can not catch on anything. And I have a swim platform, so they cannot be backed into anything and be damaged.

I have not seen very many boats with such a thing. But have seen a few.
Attached Thumbnails
HPIM0898.jpg  
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 05:35 AM   #4
Guru

Bumping this thread.

Would anyone cover their fuel vents to keep water out? If so, how?
Old 08-31-2019, 05:42 AM   #5

City: FL
Vessel Model: Benneteau Swift 42
I lowered the mast very easy one bolt, hinged on the lower bolt.

Was heavier than expected

Not sure about exhaust

Maybe better to fill water tanks, not sure
lipets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 06:29 AM   #6

City: Hervey Bay QLD
Vessel Name: Moana
Vessel Model: 1996 M40 Riviera aft cab
Interesting to read, empty water tanks to make boat lighter, I was advised to fill both fuel and water tanks to make boat heavier and more stable.
auskiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 02:05 PM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipets View Post
I lowered the mast very easy one bolt, hinged on the lower bolt.

Was heavier than expected

Not sure about exhaust

Maybe better to fill water tanks, not sure

Good thought on lowering the mast... I was debating whether that would help or not and I think it could if significant winds are expected. I'd also lower/remove the bimini frame.
Old 09-03-2019, 02:05 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by auskiwi View Post
Interesting to read, empty water tanks to make boat lighter, I was advised to fill both fuel and water tanks to make boat heavier and more stable.
Agree that heavier could be better, dont know that I'd go to 100% full but at least 50-75% on both fuel and water.
Old 09-03-2019, 02:06 PM   #9
Guru

Other things that I have read recently:
- Shrink wrap tape / shrink wrap electronics on fly bridge
- Shrink wrap tape doors/frames and use wood to block the sliding doors
- Secure fly bridge hatch
- I'd also like to add securing grill station lid, any hatches, tape down with shrink tape

Does anyone recommend weighing down fenders to keep them down and from flipping up onto boat/dock? i.e. tie on some weights (have weights below water line though so they can't hit the boat)

Does anyone do anything with the salon windows on the ST44 or sliding windows, i.e. protecting them from flying objects / debris / wind / wind driven rain?