Depth Sounder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Because I don’t need 4 depth sounders in my boat. I need one. If it goes bad, I will fix or replace it.

So why eliminate the function entirely instead of repairing/replacing?
Besides a good sounder never becomes "outdated".

Definition of "a Good Sounder" must include "functioning properly".
I have a few protrusions for fairings with transducers, none of which are attached to "Functional" sounders. If I ever take the time, those will go away.
Until then, they cause me no angst whatsoever.
I also have a pair of "shoot through" transducers that are attached to functioning sounders.

I'd love to have 2 reliable sounders, especially one with "look forward" capability.

How far forward and how accurate will it be?

Not sure, but anything will be better than seeing a depth when it’s too late to do anything about it.

Because I don’t need 4 depth sounders in my boat. I need one. If it goes bad, I will fix or replace it.

Well, if you don't stray far from home and/or civilization, I suppose you could get away with that. But if one goes bad in the middle of nowhere, then what?

Plus I've found that having transducers on both sides of the boat to be helpful in narrow sketchy channels.

As for some other posts, I haven't seen a forward sounder that gives you an early enough warning, unless you are coming upon an unchartered seamount.

OP.....Sounds like the machine could be reading thermoclines or density changes.....pretty rare but high gain or an auto setting with any fuzz on the ducer can do strange things. Like another poster suggested, sometimes a factory reset helps. Often as a field tech, and the basics were checked, factory support would recommend a reset.

As far as shoot thrus... I have mounted dozens or more and worked on many, many more that have worked just fine. Some ultimately need relocation if the initial spot want a good one.

Last edited:
From what I've read the forward sensors are only useful at slow speeds. Nothing's going to warn you soon enough to do anything if you're running faster than 3-4kts. That and you'd likely be carrying too much momentum to be able to make effective course corrections anyway. That and there's not going to be a way to mount it at an effective angle that would be able to clearly obtain the necessary reflections. At least not on a recreational use boat.

I've always been interested in a 3-D sonar setup. Side-scan, etc. Ones that pair with the chartplotter to sample and store the bottom contours. And then let you see that data as 3D on the chartplotter. Those tend to be oriented more toward fishing and only map the bottom as you're passing over it. But I'm not (yet) in the market to replace all my chart plotters so I've set the idea aside for a while.

I haven't seen any of the newer models in the last 10 years or so...but will they tell you whether right or left is deeper?

If so that may be all you need in the ICW in many areas as the marked channel may not be very deep all the way across but you only need the deep spot to keep moving.

Areas near the inlets that have sand banks (bars) the change might be too steep for even the better forward lookers at any speed.

Back
Top Bottom