Old 01-25-2021, 05:11 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: punta gorda
Vessel Name: Angel Sea
Vessel Model: 2018 Beneteau 44ST
Deploying and lifting a dinghy on the 44ST

Looking for advice and tips on how to utilize the mast and boom system on the 44ST.I attempted to lift my dinghy on he boat today and some how snapped the black lifting line using the winch. I checked all the rollers and they are turning freely. I will replace the and try again. Any tips on how to retrieve and deploy will be greatly appreciated
caseclosed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 07:34 AM   #2
Guru

City: Z
Vessel Model: tbd
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseclosed View Post
Looking for advice and tips on how to utilize the mast and boom system on the 44ST.I attempted to lift my dinghy on he boat today and some how snapped the black lifting line using the winch. I checked all the rollers and they are turning freely. I will replace the and try again. Any tips on how to retrieve and deploy will be greatly appreciated
It gets easier with practice. It used to take me a few swaps between the white and black line but now I can pretty much handle the dinghy in one motion of each. Of course factors that might play a role are wind, dinghy weight, etc. Never ever stand under the dinghy or boom.

How heavy is the dinghy? I would not feel comfortable going past 50% of the lifting limit using the OEM setup. Many make some simple upgrades to feel comfortable lifting >50% or more of the full capacity. I had a part fail on mine and my dinghy and engine are 110 pounds TOTAL (IIRC limit is 260 pounds).

I might have some pics of what some other ST44 owners have done to upgrade. It involved changing both lifting lines to 2:1 and 3:1 instead of the 1:1, using some additional pulleys, and some rollers to redirect the angle of the line at the winch. Also, many have reinforced the fly bridge bench seating where the winch is mounted to the fly bridge deck as a couple people had it pull out or come loose.
boater3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 05:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystery View Post
It gets easier with practice. It used to take me a few swaps between the white and black line but now I can pretty much handle the dinghy in one motion of each. Of course factors that might play a role are wind, dinghy weight, etc. Never ever stand under the dinghy or boom.

How heavy is the dinghy? I would not feel comfortable going past 50% of the lifting limit using the OEM setup. Many make some simple upgrades to feel comfortable lifting >50% or more of the full capacity. I had a part fail on mine and my dinghy and engine are 110 pounds TOTAL (IIRC limit is 260 pounds).

I might have some pics of what some other ST44 owners have done to upgrade. It involved changing both lifting lines to 2:1 and 3:1 instead of the 1:1, using some additional pulleys, and some rollers to redirect the angle of the line at the winch. Also, many have reinforced the fly bridge bench seating where the winch is mounted to the fly bridge deck as a couple people had it pull out or come loose.
Thank you for the information. my dingy and motor weigh 170 lbs I lifted the dinghy today and all went fairly well. Took a few attempts to adjust the bridle but all in all we got the boat up on the deck. If you have the information regarding upgrading the lifting gear I would appreciate seeing what others have done to improve the system.
Old 02-15-2021, 04:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

City: Montreal
Following this thread, my dingy and engine will be 205 pounds from what I read the load limit on the boom of an SW34 2016 is 275 pounds. Heading down to the Bahamas next year. So my system really needs to work. One suggestion I have come across is to change the lines and cheek blocks. I would have to verify but I think my lines are 1:1 and 2:1. Looks like changing them to 2:1 and 3:1 is a good idea. Amy other suggestion would really be appreciated,
Tigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 10:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigs View Post
Following this thread, my dingy and engine will be 205 pounds from what I read the load limit on the boom of an SW34 2016 is 275 pounds. Heading down to the Bahamas next year. So my system really needs to work. One suggestion I have come across is to change the lines and cheek blocks. I would have to verify but I think my lines are 1:1 and 2:1. Looks like changing them to 2:1 and 3:1 is a good idea. Amy other suggestion would really be appreciated,
I have contacted a sailboat rigger to add two double pulley blocks one on the boom lift and another on the lifting line. This will make the lifting system 2x1 and reduce the lifting lode by 50%.This will make the system safer and more efficient.
Old 02-16-2021, 11:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Montreal
Quote:
I have contacted a sailboat rigger to add two double pulley blocks one on the boom lift and another on the lifting line. This will make the lifting system 2x1 and reduce the lifting lode by 50%.This will make the system safer and more efficient.
thank you for the advice
Tigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 11:26 AM   #7
Guru

for those replacing their lines, what are you using? Dyneema? Spectra? What is good in UV/sun?
Old 02-16-2021, 11:43 AM   #8
Guru

here are some upgrades that another ST44 owner did..
Attached Thumbnails
proposed1.jpg   proposed3.jpg   proposed4.jpg   proposed5.jpg  
Old 02-17-2021, 04:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I was supplied this drawing by a 44ST owner and description of how he improved on his lifting system his rigger added two Harkin double blocks which reduced the lifting load by 50%.I have contacted a rigger to install these upgrades to my boat.
Attached Thumbnails
boom picture.jpg  
Old 04-09-2021, 04:17 PM   #10
Veteran Member

dinghy lift

Hi all I want to share an update regarding my dingy lift improvement. I contracted a local sailboat rigging company to improve the original 1-1 lifting set up. The rigger installed 4 additional blocks creating a 3-1 lifting ratio. He also increased the line diameter on the boom lift to 3/8.The new set up is smooth and reduces the lifting load from 1-1 to 3-1 thus reducing the load to a third of what it was originally.Please see attached photos.Thanks to all who responded with suggestions on this issue
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1899.JPG   IMG_1898.JPG   IMG_1896.JPG  
Old 04-10-2021, 12:01 AM   #11
Guru

How is the line connected to the boom (the lifting line)? I can tell you from experience my factory setup there was not safe/sufficient. I had a sailboat rigger drill holes into the boom and insert a heavy duty stainless fitting that wouldn't pull out.

Also, what do you mean increase to 3/8? I believe the factory size is 8mm which is bigger than 3/8. 3/8 would be a downgrade. But perhaps the 3-1 allows a smaller line to be used? Not my forte so I dont know.

I decided to put my modifications on hold. I just got new lines to replace my original lines that were very worn at 5 years of age. My dinghy + motor + gear only weights 120-130 pounds so half the Beneteau "limit". If it were any heavier or I was upgrading my dinghy, I'd definitely improve to 2-1 or 3-1.
Old 04-10-2021, 01:55 AM   #12
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
8mm = 5/16
10mm =3/8
Not exact,but close. 8mm is definitely not bigger than 3/8.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 11:24 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
8mm = 5/16
10mm =3/8
Not exact,but close. 8mm is definitely not bigger than 3/8.
Sorry, its been a long week...

3/8 = .375
8mm = .315

so yes 3/8 is larger !
Old 04-10-2021, 12:11 PM   #14
Guru

City: Everett
Vessel Name: LIBERTY
Vessel Model: TOLLY 48
There is a lot of chatter in this thread regarding increasing the mechanical advantage of your lifting gear to ease dinghy handling. But be careful. What has NOT been discussed is the HUGE increase in compression loading at the mast base, should an overweight dinghy be hoisted aboard. Or a surge load caused by being waked while dinghy hoisting, or simple boat roll caused by wave action.

I'm not familiar with Beneteau's safe working load for the OEM mast rigging. But it is safe to assume that exceeding this working load, no matter how much reduction in hoisting force results from increasing the mechanical advantage of the lifting gear, may well result in failure of some other part of the standing rigging, or the mast base, or the cabin top, or the fittings, or...etc.

Remember, your mast, boom, cabin top, mast base, fittings, standing rigging, etc. are all part of the dinghy handling "system". Simply beefing up one part of your "system" may cause another to fail, with possible catastrophic results. My daddy used to say, "what you make on the potatoes, you lose on the tomatoes." Wise words for machine design.

Regards,

Pete
jungpeter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 02:14 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungpeter View Post
There is a lot of chatter in this thread regarding increasing the mechanical advantage of your lifting gear to ease dinghy handling. But be careful. What has NOT been discussed is the HUGE increase in compression loading at the mast base, should an overweight dinghy be hoisted aboard. Or a surge load caused by being waked while dinghy hoisting, or simple boat roll caused by wave action.

I'm not familiar with Beneteau's safe working load for the OEM mast rigging. But it is safe to assume that exceeding this working load, no matter how much reduction in hoisting force results from increasing the mechanical advantage of the lifting gear, may well result in failure of some other part of the standing rigging, or the mast base, or the cabin top, or the fittings, or...etc.

Remember, your mast, boom, cabin top, mast base, fittings, standing rigging, etc. are all part of the dinghy handling "system". Simply beefing up one part of your "system" may cause another to fail, with possible catastrophic results. My daddy used to say, "what you make on the potatoes, you lose on the tomatoes." Wise words for machine design.

Regards,

Pete
Totally agree. From my perspective though, I am only comfortable at about 50% of the OEM limit, to go to 100%, I'd want to beef things up. I would not exceed it.
Old 04-10-2021, 07:53 PM   #16

City: FL
Vessel Model: Benneteau Swift 42
It's not the line diameter it's it's breaking strength.

You can find 3/16" with over 5,000 lbs breaking strenth

There's no concern with compression on the mast base it can handle alot more than a dink

The 2-1 or 3-1 is simply compensating for a undersized winch making it easier to turn
lipets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 01:04 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystery View Post
How is the line connected to the boom (the lifting line)? I can tell you from experience my factory setup there was not safe/sufficient. I had a sailboat rigger drill holes into the boom and insert a heavy duty stainless fitting that wouldn't pull out.

Also, what do you mean increase to 3/8? I believe the factory size is 8mm which is bigger than 3/8. 3/8 would be a downgrade. But perhaps the 3-1 allows a smaller line to be used? Not my forte so I dont know.

I decided to put my modifications on hold. I just got new lines to replace my original lines that were very worn at 5 years of age. My dinghy + motor + gear only weights 120-130 pounds so half the Beneteau "limit". If it were any heavier or I was upgrading my dinghy, I'd definitely improve to 2-1 or 3-1.
The rigger drilled a hole in the mast and through bolted a stainless choler to attach block
Old 04-11-2021, 01:16 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
The rigger drilled a hole in the mast and through bolted a stainless choler to attach block
Cool. thats what our rigger did.

We had a very scary situation where the slug plugged out of the boom, lifting only 110-120 pounds, and the dinghy fell. Thankfully it was over the water and no one was injured.
Old 04-13-2021, 04:42 PM   #19

City: FL
Vessel Model: Benneteau Swift 42
try this link

https://www.facebook.com/10002817780...3243527291567/
lipets is offline   Reply With Quote