Old 02-26-2017, 10:52 AM   #21

City: La Paz, BCS
Vessel Name: Ansedonia
Vessel Model: Californian/Carver 52CPMY
Hi folks,

While I can certainly commiserate with the OPs problem (I've posted about it myself), I think that Art has hit the nail on the head. At least one person needs to sleep with all senses unimpaired. See my post about anchor dragging, it was hearing the waves breaking on shore that allowed us to avoid tragedy. My wife and guests can use ear plugs, and I carry them aboard for all to use. Just not me, as I am Captain and responsible for all onboard.

Good luck with finding a workable solution. Please let us know what you end up doing.

Cheers, Bill
Old 02-27-2017, 09:52 PM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Auckland
Chinese Slap

Hi Florence,

Sorry, auto correct on the title! Chine Slap us what it should say. (Since corrected)
We have met on the pontoon when you stopped by at Westhaven last year.
We have just sold our corsair and are looking at a Swift.

Chine slap is a common problem for the European boats. They don't anchor off all the time like we do.
The Salthouse was superb in this respect and was as silent as a yacht.
All that Bob Salthouse did was to fair the chines at the waterline. That's what we'll be doing if we get one.

A quiet night is a must and looking for a spot right by the beach is a pain.

Cheers
Clive
KiwiClive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:05 PM   #23
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Wearing ear plugs on boats while sleeping is not too different than wearing dark sunglasses at night while piloting the boat... you can bet your bum bum that you will miss something, probably more than one thing, and, maybe, eventually... something very important.
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:36 PM   #24
Guru

Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Hey, here's one solution to your problem. I sleep like a baby, after a wave of rhythmic slaps, I have listened to all my life so it does not bother me. Another tips, learn how to love your country, do not think of it as a negative thing.

NENTOA Wave slap preventer

P.S you have very cool hard top, you fly bridge! you've built it, or?
North Baltic sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 12:45 AM   #25
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Florence, may I suggest reading a chapter or two of "The Slap" by Australian author Christos Tsiolkas, or watching an episode or two of the film. About an annoying child at a party being slapped by someone not its parent, and what follows. Not sure if it will lull you to sleep but it will distract you from "the slap" currently bothering you.
BruceK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 07:22 PM   #26

City: Auckland
Vessel Name: Florence
Vessel Model: Beneteau ST 42
Many thanks to all who contributed on this. On balance I think that we will accept the situation as is and not carry out surgery on our pride and joy. Also I concur that earplugs are only a last resort as when anchored I tend to be aware of any extraneous sounds which may herald a problem. We have just completed a summer cruise and have taken extra care in selecting anchorages which are likely to cause problems due to the dreaded Slappers. Cheers
Florence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:58 PM   #27
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
Many thanks to all who contributed on this. On balance I think that we will accept the situation as is and not carry out surgery on our pride and joy. Also I concur that earplugs are only a last resort as when anchored I tend to be aware of any extraneous sounds which may herald a problem. We have just completed a summer cruise and have taken extra care in selecting anchorages which are likely to cause problems due to the dreaded Slappers. Cheers
Believe us, you will get so used to it, that on those very still nights when there is no wave action and no slap, it will seem eerie and too quiet, and you'll have to get up to check you have not anchored too shallow and sitting on the bottom. (It does happen).

We used to live one time when I was young in a house in the country where a railway cutting went past the house only about 70 feet away. For a while it was a novelty to jump up and watch them go past - quite a few were still steam back then. After a while we often barely noticed when a train went by, but visitors would comment about "how does that noise not bother you?" and "how do you sleep through that?" But we did - soundly - in no time at all. It was reassuring to have the familiar sound, as if it was confirming all was right with the world. Chine slap same thing. All good, no worries...
Old 03-05-2017, 12:08 AM   #28
Guru

You do get used to "an old slapper". And loud noises at night.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:24 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Swift trawlers have chine slap but those chines are important to stability. The 34 st is even worse than the larger trawlers. Yes you can fill them in at the waterline or just get used to it. We got used to it and i sleep better with than without it now!!!
Joebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 02:09 AM   #30

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Silver
Vessel Model: Helmsman 31
Dynamat
dw8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:33 AM   #31
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
As Ski mentioned in post #2 anchoring from the stern should put an end to it. The chines are most often submerged at that end of the boat. May even have a positive effect on "sailing". However the wind over the stern may fill your boat w BBQ smells.

Another thing to seriously consider w the surgery of the chine option is resale value. The modified boat would most likely be a very wet boat even w wind and seas from abeam. I definitely would not buy such a boat but there are others that would consider it a plus .... at least until they ran the boat some. However spray coming aboard in a lot of instances may be generated by the chines. Without the chine break water may not be broken up into spray fine enough for the wind to bring it aboard.

My Willard is a dry boat and has no cup shaped chine. But probably the main reason she runs quite to very dry is that Willards go so slow. And that's no doubt has a lot to do w why she has no cup shaped chines. I've been intending to try anchoring from the stern and still intend to do it mostly to see if sailing is less of a problem that way. Willy's rounded stern may cause slap noises but I doubt it.

In sympathy w those that are bothered by the noise I'm sure glad we are moored where there are no sailboats as the haylard banging on aluminum masts was a noise I never found acceptable. The windmills (generators) I've not found acceptable either. So the "just get used to it" solution may not apply to many. Come to think of it there are lots of noises I find very irritating. Football games turned way up in the marina, boom boxes in cars ect ect. I had a friend in college in the 70's that said the next troublesome form of pollution was going to be "noise pollution". Lot of truth in that.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 12:00 PM   #32
Guru

City: Owings, Md
Vessel Name: Graceland
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 MK1
This is really just thinking out loud, but with enough ballast you could submerge more area of the chines and reduce the noise. For a boat your size, it would take an incredible amount of weight but it is a possibility. Perhaps a soft tank on the bow plumbed to a salt water wash down. I've sailed and cruised a lot of J boats and the racier models can be very loud aft at anchor due to the light stern which presents a large surface area just above the actual water line, with enough coolers, sails and gear shifted aft, you can submerge it and quite things down dramatically.
Gdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:16 PM   #33
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdavid View Post
This is really just thinking out loud, but with enough ballast you could submerge more area of the chines and reduce the noise. For a boat your size, it would take an incredible amount of weight but it is a possibility. Perhaps a soft tank on the bow plumbed to a salt water wash down. I've sailed and cruised a lot of J boats and the racier models can be very loud aft at anchor due to the light stern which presents a large surface area just above the actual water line, with enough coolers, sails and gear shifted aft, you can submerge it and quite things down dramatically.
Unfortunately, it isn't JUST the water on the chines making noise. Water hitting the flat sides and the water that gets trapped under the bow rise makes a lot of noise too. I just don't think there is a viable solution. You just kinda gotta live wit-it.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:15 PM   #34
Guru

City: Marathon, Florida
Vessel Name: Walkabout
Vessel Model: 1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
For those of you that say you will get used to it, well maybe not. Not all boats are the same. We have a Wellcraft 2900 Express and a SeaRay 380 Aft Cabin. Both have chine slap but the noise is totally different. The Wellcraft sounds like there are at least five kids with ball peen hammers on the outside of the hull while the SeaRay has a much softer although still annoying slap. I could probably get used to the SeaRay, but there is no way in hell I could get used to the Wellcraft. Just saying each boat an each person has their own personality.

www.mikeandsharondunsworth.blogspot.com
READY2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:26 PM   #35
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by READY2GO View Post
For those of you that say you will get used to it, well maybe not. Not all boats are the same. We have a Wellcraft 2900 Express and a SeaRay 380 Aft Cabin. Both have chine slap but the noise is totally different. The Wellcraft sounds like there are at least five kids with ball peen hammers on the outside of the hull while the SeaRay has a much softer although still annoying slap. I could probably get used to the SeaRay, but there is no way in hell I could get used to the Wellcraft. Just saying each boat an each person has their own personality.
I've said it before and will say it again... Chine slap is one thing... trying to sleep in lapstrake [clinker] wood hull construction boat is a whole different ball game of too much noise. Man, that sounds like a kid with stick going past a picket fence... super annoying!!!
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:03 PM   #36
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
You do get used to "an old slapper". And loud noises at night.
That's true. I've spent many nights on rig sites with all kinds of racket. You just get used to it, especially if the noise is constant or repetitive. If the noise is intermittent, like a slapping halyard, I find it much more bothersome.

I normally look at my neighbouring sailboats before nightfall, and how the halyards are fixed. If it looks like it will slap in a breeze and the boat is unattended , I climb on and re-fix the halyards.

Most people are fairly appreciative if I tell them and just are unaware of how to avoid it.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:12 PM   #37
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
We love our vessel very dearly and spend a great deal of time aboard cruising around the North East coastline of New Zealand from our home base in Auckland.
When anchoring overnight we do go to some trouble to tuck well in to the weather shore if there is any breeze. We find that even a small chop generates what we call the Arrival of the Slappers. Sadly these are not fast young ladies but slapping noises from the chines. These are amplified by the hull acting as a sounding box and can result in a disturbed night's sleep.
I believe that this is a common problem on semi-displacement vessels and have observed some Mickey Mouse attempts to overcome this by attaching floating Noodles and other objects when at anchor.
I am looking for a more professional solution such as a partial infill along the chines. I understand that the main function of the chines is to deflect spray rather than to have a hydro-dynamic effect.
Any comments or advice from other owners would be most welcome.
Found this, says made it go away
SENTOA.org
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 12:05 AM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
As Ski mentioned in post #2 anchoring from the stern should put an end to it. The chines are most often submerged at that end of the boat. May even have a positive effect on "sailing". However the wind over the stern may fill your boat w BBQ smells....
. I've been intending to try anchoring from the stern and still intend to do it mostly to see if sailing is less of a problem that way. Willy's rounded stern may cause slap noises but I doubt it....
Eric, I see people anchor or moor by the stern, usually I think to catch the sun into the cockpit on cooler days.Your Willard perhaps excepted, boats are not designed to do that,in a severe case you could get a lot more than bbq smells coming over the transom.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:42 AM   #39
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
That's true. I've spent many nights on rig sites with all kinds of racket. You just get used to it, especially if the noise is constant or repetitive. If the noise is intermittent, like a slapping halyard, I find it much more bothersome.

I normally look at my neighbouring sailboats before nightfall, and how the halyards are fixed. If it looks like it will slap in a breeze and the boat is unattended , I climb on and re-fix the halyards.

Most people are fairly appreciative if I tell them and just are unaware of how to avoid it.
Yes, that always amazed me how often even quite experienced yachties didn't automatically flick their halyards and topping lift out over the end of the spreader one side or the other before tensioning. If they just haul them straight down the mast then tie off, not matter how well tensioned, they are going to slap in a wind..!
Old 03-31-2017, 07:35 AM   #40
Veteran Member

City: River Trent
Vessel Model: Profile 33
PeterB had the best answer to the problem in post #10.

Accept that you can't stop the noise, but you can reduce the volume with a bit of effort behind the scenes.
Insulate the affected area of the hull on the inside with sound absorbing material, so that the volume is diminished enough that the residual noise isn't enough to keep you awake.

I'm lucky enough to have a round bilged hull which is completely silent in all but the worst conditions.
Trundlebug is offline   Reply With Quote