Old 12-21-2018, 12:14 PM   #1

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Lady Di
Vessel Model: 2012 Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
A/C Maintenance

I've had issues with with the condensate pumps and drain lines on the 4 A/C units on my 2012 ST44.

Here are my comments:

1) Keep these lines clean by adding a water/bleach solution to the pan every 6 (?) months.

2) Plugged lines can be blown out with a simple bike pump w/ nozzle.

3) I've had fewer problems with the Aspen Maxi Orange than the Refco Sahara brand.

I'm not in love with the way these units drain into the sump but have no better design.
rclarke246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 12:41 PM   #2
Guru

City: Mississippi
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
Thanks. As I learn more about our 'new to us' boat, the more I like her. I recently went poking around the ER (while swapping out gennie's) and found the two pans under my condensing units are plumbed to drain overboard just above waterline
FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 07:42 AM   #3
Guru

City: Z
Vessel Model: tbd
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclarke246 View Post
I've had issues with with the condensate pumps and drain lines on the 4 A/C units on my 2012 ST44.

Here are my comments:

1) Keep these lines clean by adding a water/bleach solution to the pan every 6 (?) months.

2) Plugged lines can be blown out with a simple bike pump w/ nozzle.

3) I've had fewer problems with the Aspen Maxi Orange than the Refco Sahara brand.

I'm not in love with the way these units drain into the sump but have no better design.
Beneteau could use a lesson in routing drain and vent lines. I spent a day re-configuring my water tank lines because they had low points accumulating water and blocking venting along with unnecessary twists and turns. I have never had a boat before that had to have mini sump pumps for HVAC draining. I still haven't worked out all the re-routing around the sump box as the HVAC manifold angle needs to be adjusted and some other lines there.

I have always been advised against using bleach. Someone recommended dropping something into the pan occasionally but cannot remember what it is called now but it was maybe something "pan tablet". I open the mini sumps when I clean the air filters and clean them out. The metal screens have already had to be replaced. When I winterized, I added antifreeze directly into them. I do not like the Orange Minis, they are loud, and wake up people sleeping with a buzzing sound. I am planning to have them swapped next year. I am hoping to try the Orange Maxi.

Other maintenance I now do is Barnacle Buster through the raw water system on the HVAC. I posted in the other thread with how I did that. I plan to do it every other year as of right now.
boater3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 07:45 AM   #4
Guru

City: Z
Vessel Model: tbd
PS. Has anyone had issues with the HVAC pan in the master stateroom under the bed not draining? Beneteau plumbed the drain on the side facing the bow versus the side facing the stern. Most boats have a small incline with the bow up and my ST44 is no different. That means some water pools/stands in the HVAC drain pan on that unit. The other three units seem to drain without issue. I am looking into having the drain moved to the other side. Pic attached.
Attached Thumbnails
HVAC drain.jpg  
boater3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 09:09 AM   #5

Had the same issue with the one in the master so I had an A/C service vendor relocate the drain out toward the stern.
Old 12-22-2018, 02:51 PM   #6

I think the loud buzzing from the pump may be due to:1) clogged hose or 2) anti-freeze fouling up the switch. I’ve only heard this buzzing from the Refco’s, never from the Maxi Orange pumps.