boat lift for ST 44

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seawinder

i am about to purchase a 44 swift trawler and am considering putting the boat on a boat lift. I am wondering if anyone else has done this and how it worked out. what size lift? make model of lift?

So, a ST 44 is around 24,000 pounds in light condition plus another 8,100 pounds of fuel and water when full plus, say another 1,000 pounds of "stuff." 33,100 pounds all up. The weight seems doable for a lift. The support needs to be well thought out with pilings deep enough and stout enough. My 20,000-pound capacity DECCO boat lift supports my 12,000-pound plus boat lift using six 40-foot pilings sunk about 20 feet into the sandy bottom here in NWFL. For a ST44, I might want a 40,000-pound lift, but the lift maker would be a better place to check.

Attachments

• DSC03143.jpg
    DSC03143.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC02926.jpg
    DSC02926.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 21
The light displacement of the 44 is supposedly 24,000 lbs, but I bet the fully loaded weight is at least 30,000 lbs. I have seen lifts like that but very few. Won’t be cheap either.

How about the pile sliding systems. Except for bottom growth, I think they are superior to lifts.

David

Last edited:
I did some calculations way back and was over 30k pounds with fuel, gear, water, etc. Waterline can easily change several inches.

Concerns I'd have about a lift include how do you keep HVAC running to keep humidity at bay? Will you put in standalone dehumidifiers?

If you have bottom paint, you will need to make sure to use a type that can "survive" out of water and be "re-activated" when in water.

thanks for the thoughts and ideas. I have some problems with boat wakes and north winds creating chop at my location, which is why I am considering a lift.

One of the considerations if I do this is to identify the center of gravity of the boat, to properly locate the lift. Engines are aft, fuel tanks about midship.
I wonder where the center of gravity is on the 44 with about 100 gallons of fuel. Anyone know where to find this info?

I have a friend who did something similar. Center of Gravity is not your first challenge.

First, you will need an 8-post lift. This means you are essentially buying two boat lifts that are synchronized.

Second, some builders advertise up to a 200k# lift. Most recreational builders max-out around 40k#

Third, the cost difference between a 30k# lift and a 40k# lift is negligible.

Fourth, these puppies are expensive. He received 3 quotes for three different lift builders and all were around $60k for the lift and a single 4'x40' finger. That did not include electrical work which was another $5k or so. Because he was on the ICW and was reconfiguring a slip slightly, he needed to involve the Florida Dept Environmental Protection, the 'owners' of the land beneath the ICW slips. That process involved a new submerged lease survey, and another $4k by the time it was done.

It can be done, and maybe cheaper in your neck of the woods wherever Chestertown is located. But if you're thinking $10k-$20k, well, it ain't happening.

Peter

So I ended up finding a used 2 year old Neptune lift rated at 30000 lbs. then had to have 8 pilings driven. The rest of the installation I was able to do with some help from a friend to rig a device to lift the motor assemblies up on those pilings. Electrical work was fairly simple as I was able to reuse cable that was in good shape. My work barge( a 10 by 20 foot section of old floating dock was essential as a work platform. All done and it works great! As soon as I figure out how to post photos I will add some

Back
Top Bottom