Beneteau Swift Trawler 44

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good luck with that, where from and to? I also had to replace my bimini, apparently the thread was not the gortex UV resistant needed in florida.

Good luck with that, where from and to? I also had to replace my bimini, apparently the thread was not the gortex UV resistant needed in florida.

Oooh interesting... seems there is a trend here regarding the bimini and caulking used... perhaps not being the right type... were you under warranty? if so, did Beneteau cover the cost? I have a feeling that if I ask they won't cover it but will try. Seems to me that a bimini should last more than two years... my old boat still had its original bimini that was 15+ years old and only needed a patch of two!

I never asked about warranty although I was under warranty. I assumed it wouldn't be covered, probably should have asked. Where do you live and where is your boat?

As on non involved observer, owning no Beneteau and not in the market for one, two things I've observed:

1-They seem to be very good in honoring their warranty and even going beyond what many builders in their price market would.

2-They very much need to strengthen their service network. Probably their dealer network as well, but that's a separate issue to me. I think they need to treat it as a second issue. They need to expand their service network far beyond their sales network. Most areas of the country have excellent boatyards that don't sell boats. I'll use Ferretti (including Pershing, Riva, Itama, Mochi and others. They do all their sales in Fort Lauderdale and have their own service center in Fort Lauderdale. However, here are their other authorized service centers in Florida-Apex in Fort Lauderdale, Galvez in Dania, Lamb''s in Jacksonville, Molly's in Naples, New River in Fort Lauderdale, Rolly in Fort Lauderdale, Roscioli in Fort Lauderdale, Rybovich in West Palm. Now it's easy to say those are bigger boats or yachts or whatever, but nearly all those yards would be willing and capable of servicing Beneteau and they do service smaller boats too. We take our 44' Riva even to Rybovich. Beneteau depends strictly on their dealer network and it's not strong in many areas. I see several of you who have gotten permission to get service elsewhere. If those facilities do well for them, they should set them up as part of a service network.

As on non involved observer, owning no Beneteau and not in the market for one, two things I've observed:

1-They seem to be very good in honoring their warranty and even going beyond what many builders in their price market would.

2-They very much need to strengthen their service network. Probably their dealer network as well, but that's a separate issue to me. I think they need to treat it as a second issue. They need to expand their service network far beyond their sales network. Most areas of the country have excellent boatyards that don't sell boats. I'll use Ferretti (including Pershing, Riva, Itama, Mochi and others. They do all their sales in Fort Lauderdale and have their own service center in Fort Lauderdale. However, here are their other authorized service centers in Florida-Apex in Fort Lauderdale, Galvez in Dania, Lamb''s in Jacksonville, Molly's in Naples, New River in Fort Lauderdale, Rolly in Fort Lauderdale, Roscioli in Fort Lauderdale, Rybovich in West Palm. Now it's easy to say those are bigger boats or yachts or whatever, but nearly all those yards would be willing and capable of servicing Beneteau and they do service smaller boats too. We take our 44' Riva even to Rybovich. Beneteau depends strictly on their dealer network and it's not strong in many areas. I see several of you who have gotten permission to get service elsewhere. If those facilities do well for them, they should set them up as part of a service network.

And now they have no dealer between Texas and Florida. Huge gap!

The same can be said for many dozen boat lines. The first owner, hopefully near a selling "group" is the primary party to make things right during commissioning and a year or two of follow up.

Where we keep our boat there are two yards that have deals with builders and are authorized to do warranty and commissioning work. One notable builder yanked commissioning from a yard that was finding too many build errors, especially those that did not meet ABYC electrical guidelines.. Boat building is a tough business.

Honestly I wouldn't expect them to have a dealer between the two states. However, I would expect them to have authorized service centers. Having too many sales dealers can lead to what you've seen, dealer's too small or not committed enough to the product. Do they even have a list of their dealers on their website?

There are many other builders without formal service center arrangements, but most of those are much smaller than Beneteau. Anyone in Alabama, Mississippi, or Louisiana would travel to Texas or Florida to purchase a boat, but not routinely for service.

Honestly I wouldn't expect them to have a dealer between the two states. However, I would expect them to have authorized service centers. Having too many sales dealers can lead to what you've seen, dealer's too small or not committed enough to the product. Do they even have a list of their dealers on their website?

There are many other builders without formal service center arrangements, but most of those are much smaller than Beneteau. Anyone in Alabama, Mississippi, or Louisiana would travel to Texas or Florida to purchase a boat, but not routinely for service.

My understanding is there are no service centers between TX and FL either (including AL, MS, LA) but I will double-check. Thanks!

My understanding is there are no service centers between TX and FL either (including AL, MS, LA) but I will double-check. Thanks!

That's mine too. My point is that they should have service centers even where they don't have dealers.

Yes Michael and a few others have been tremendous in helping me!

Beneteau dropped the local dealer. The local dealer gave me the run around for weeks. I was having trouble reaching someone at Beneteau but Michael shared a contact. I now have a third party assessing the steering leak and Beneteau said they would reimburse me. Fingers crossed.

I have some other items that I will tackle next week. Hoping for the Jacksonville dealer to be able to help with any remaining items. If not, I will have the dealer up north help.

Going to start the 2,500 mile journey to bring the boat home next week. First 400 miles. Then another 1,000 miles in February and the rest in April.

Sorry I need to give a shout out to rclarke too! Thank you!

Alright, figured out most of the Onan parts:
Impeller 541-1519
Oil filter 185-5835
Fuel filter A026K278
Pressure cap 130-3572
Thermostat 185-6005
Thermostat gasket 185-6004
Bearings & Belt 185-6934
Anode 130-4434

Any recommendations on which oil and coolant to use? Rotella?

Anyone have Exide ER660 batteries for their House circuit? Do these need to be topped off with distilled water? I called Exide and they said no but I can open up the cap and see the metal plates and no water...

Thanks all!

I believe the Exide batteries are sealed and do not need to be topped. For what it's worth, I just replaced mine not too long ago. Be aware that most standard 4D batteries won't fit in the factory space. However, there are some slimmer 4D batteries out there such as the Mastervolt AGM that do fit (which is what I went with). Note that the ER660 are not AGM.

With AGM you can ditch the plastic tub, providing a bit more space.

I believe the Exide batteries are sealed and do not need to be topped. For what it's worth, I just replaced mine not too long ago. Be aware that most standard 4D batteries won't fit in the factory space. However, there are some slimmer 4D batteries out there such as the Mastervolt AGM that do fit (which is what I went with). Note that the ER660 are not AGM.

My Exide ER660 (are these considered 4D batteries?) house batteries have six vent or possibly fill ports at the top. I can open and see the cells. Do you happen to have a part number of the Mastervolt AGM? Any concerns using AGM versus wet cells for house bank?

Also, anyone think the house bank on these boats is a fraction of what it should be? I have to take a closer look when I am back at the boat but I am wondering if the engine starting batteries can be relocated and additional house added in their place or possibly remove (the correct amount of) ballast and put batteries there?

Last edited:
Anyone know the part # for the windshield wiper blades? Are they all the same? I want to grab a spare or two before embarking on my trip next week..

Thank you!

I believe that mine were replaced with standard auto blades but I'll check my records.

BTW, I think that Rain-X would be great for boat windshields, but regular reapplication would likely be required.

I believe that mine were replaced with standard auto blades but I'll check my records.

BTW, I think that Rain-X would be great for boat windshields, but regular reapplication would likely be required.

Thank you. Can Plexus be used on these windshields? Any idea what material they are?

Here are photos of:
1) An audible high-water alarm to the fly
2) My replacement batteries

Attachments

• IMG_5624.jpg
    IMG_5624.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_5625.jpg
    IMG_5625.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_5626.jpg
    IMG_5626.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_5627.jpg
    IMG_5627.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 80
IMG_9500.jpg
For reference, here are my new batteries.

I believe the Mastervolt part number is 62001600.

And yes, the boat could use more house battery power if you are going to anchor out for more than a night or two. Others have put additional batteries in the space outside of each engine.

View attachment 71886
For reference, here are my new batteries.

I believe the Mastervolt part number is 62001600.

And yes, the boat could use more house battery power if you are going to anchor out for more than a night or two. Others have put additional batteries in the space outside of each engine.

Thank you guys for posting your batteries.

I am wondering how much each of the ballast blocks weighs? They look like they are glued in. I don't know if it would be feasible to put additional house batteries there. I dont know how people even move the normal house batteries from where they are?

BTW, did you reprogram your battery charger? My understanding is there are different settings for AGM.

Thank you guys for posting your batteries.

I am wondering how much each of the ballast blocks weighs? They look like they are glued in. I don't know if it would be feasible to put additional house batteries there. I dont know how people even move the normal house batteries from where they are?

BTW, did you reprogram your battery charger? My understanding is there are different settings for AGM.

Not sure on the ballast. I may have some pics of batteries placed there. Will check.

Yes, I did reprogram the charger. Just need to flip a few DIP switches.

I also added the Balmar SmartGauge, which has worked well.

Anyone have issues with their trim tabs? The LEDs were flickering, then they werre scrolling, then every other LED was lit, and finally both controls at each helm went dark. I checked connections near the "brain" unit in the starboard after bilge and reset all DC breakers. I don't see a fuse to check but maybe there is somewhere..

Also the showers seem to have issue draining. As soon as I crack the sump lid it starts pumping. Perhaps an air lock?

Thank you as always!

Are the tabs working?
Check out the web site and there is a troubleshooting guide to override the switch if I recall. My master control took a dump last year and was replaced under warranty - easy replacement.

Have you cleaned the float switch? I had a similar issue and adjusted the hoses and all worked fine. Also check the wire connectors

Good luck

I had a problem with my trim tabs. I think 1 side went dead. I contacted Lenco and they quickly sent me a new control module. under warranty.
My lower sinks both drain very slowly. Yes, it seems like an air lock situation, which I’m just living with as it’s not a big deal for me.

Mystery

I have recently had something similar with my trim tabs. Everything works fine but the upper helm lights sometimes show a couple of bars when the tabs are up. When I put them down and up the lights correct themselves.

I have had problems with the shower draining. Took out the strainer and cleaned it. Then used a plunger, cleared it up.

After my 1,800 mile journey I have a punch list of items... dropped the boat at a Beneteau dealer I've heard good things about so hoping they can take care of most of the issues under warranty over the next month before I complete the last 1,000 miles.

I could not figure out the trim tabs. I tried reseating all cables. I also cleaned the sump box to no avail. I dont think its an issue with the pump/float switch but rather something between the sump box and drain, like an air lock or not enough angle. Once it starts draining into the sump the sump kicks on. The problem only started once someone started using the guest shower. I had showered in the Master without issue many times before.

The dealer is working on the autopilot power pack steering system leak and electrical issue (only HVAC panel working off of the genset) today and will tackle the trim tabs next. I asked them to work on the HVAC thru-hull corrosion and fresh water system after that.

Does anyone have issues with the fridge under the lower helm seat? The freezer keeps frosting, does not hit 0 degrees, hovers around 20-30 degrees, and looks like there is a small leak/drop in the cabinet behind the unit. I have a Vitrifrigo unit. Looks like it is only DC powered whereas my previous boat was DC/AC. I think I am going to have to expand the house battery bank because one fridge will eat up the power in a day I think.

Also, how are all of your cushions? Mine seem to be like sponges and when they get wet, soaking up all of the water and never fully dry. On my Sea Ray, the cushions do not absorb water, and on my previous boat to that, I think the foam was wrapped in plastic which kept the water out. How do you guys clean the cushions and covers for everything? Looks like they are going to need some elbow grease...

Thank you as always for your insights!

My lower refrigerator, Vitrifrigo, works fine. I never measured the freezer temperature but it keeps ice fine. I can see how both friges might drain the house batteries if you're not running or on shore or generator power, but I rarely am not

I stow my cushions in the small stateroom and never leave them out. I simply pass them up/down via the lower helm door when I have help. They still look new.

Congrats on your journey, so far!

We have owned LINDALEE a 2005 42 for 2 years-have put on 800 hours on her Yanmar 370s-traveled R/T Florida to Maine,from Miami into the Bahamas twice and am now at Andros Island.
The winds held us in Coconut Grove for 5 days -until 3-1-18 then a easy run across the Bank to CHUB for customs.
This has been a fine boat for coastal cruising even in 3-5ft seas up in the Chesapeake or in the Gulf Stream.
Bob Nordstrom
978-852-4844 cell

Good to hear! We almost named our vessel "Chicken of the Sea"! A line that I believe originated in an I Love Lucy episode.

My lower refrigerator, Vitrifrigo, works fine. I never measured the freezer temperature but it keeps ice fine. I can see how both friges might drain the house batteries if you're not running or on shore or generator power, but I rarely am not

I stow my cushions in the small stateroom and never leave them out. I simply pass them up/down via the lower helm door when I have help. They still look new.

Congrats on your journey, so far!

Thanks. My freezer sections on my Dometics on my other boat hold temps without issue but they are AC/DC, may play a part.

I dont think its feasible for me to store my cushions inside. They all are covered. Just trying to figure out proper cleaning and how to keep them from soaking up water like a sponge. I may try to get the foam wrapped in plastic (after they fully dry).

I added grommets to the bottom of the cushions and to the compartments that have no way to drain. Not sure how much it will help, I just did it a few weeks ago.

Back
Top Bottom