Anodes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Speedy Charlotte
Vessel Make
Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
I'm looking to install fresh aluminum anodes on my ST44. Boat will be shipped to the Bay Area soon but wanted to buy the anodes online prior to the arrival of the boat.

Does anyone happen to have a list of all the anodes required on the ST44?

Thanks!
Mike

looking for the same, thanks

Here you go. Note that all of the following are part numbers for the Aluminum anodes, not Zinc.

You'll need:

• (2) Prop nut anodes
  • (4) shaft anodes (I have 2 per shaft on my boat)
  • (4) thruster anodes (one for each side of the bow thruster, and one for each side of the stern thruster -- if you have a stern thruster)
  • (2) rudder anodes that attach to the trim tabs, not to the rudders (my boat does not have rudder anodes)
  • (1) big anode for the transom

Here are the items to order.

NOTE: You won't find the 50mm prop and shaft anode parts on their website. Just send them an email and they can add them to the order for you.

(2) CMAN250A Martyr Aluminum 50mm Prop Nut Anodes
(4) CMX50AL Martyr Aluminum Streamlined Shaft Anode to fit 50mm shaft
(4) TQ18500AL Aluminum Anode Quick BTQ/BTR Thruster w/ 185mm Tunnel
(2) R-3A Rudder Aluminum Anode - 3-3/4" Dia. (for trim tabs)
(1) DP-612A Aluminum Anode (for transom)

On my ST44, the rudders do not have any anodes as they are wired to the transom anode I believe. If your ST44 has rudder anodes, you can just order 2 more of the R-3A's for the rudders.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Here you go. Note that all of the following are part numbers for the Aluminum anodes, not Zinc.

You'll need:

• (2) Prop nut anodes
  • (4) shaft anodes (I have 2 per shaft on my boat)
  • (4) thruster anodes (one for each side of the bow thruster, and one for each side of the stern thruster -- if you have a stern thruster)
  • (2) rudder anodes that attach to the trim tabs, not to the rudders (my boat does not have rudder anodes)
  • (1) big anode for the transom

Here are the items to order.

NOTE: You won't find the 50mm prop and shaft anode parts on their website. Just send them an email and they can add them to the order for you.

(2) CMAN250A Martyr Aluminum 50mm Prop Nut Anodes
(4) CMX50AL Martyr Aluminum Streamlined Shaft Anode to fit 50mm shaft
(4) TQ18500AL Aluminum Anode Quick BTQ/BTR Thruster w/ 185mm Tunnel
(2) R-3A Rudder Aluminum Anode - 3-3/4" Dia. (for trim tabs)
(1) DP-612A Aluminum Anode (for transom)

On my ST44, the rudders do not have any anodes as they are wired to the transom anode I believe. If your ST44 has rudder anodes, you can just order 2 more of the R-3A's for the rudders.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Thank you!!

Hi Mike,

By any chance do you have the part #s for aluminum anodes for the D4 and Onan genset? Did anyone say anything against switching those to aluminum?

Thank you!

Last edited:
PS. Does anyone's ST44 have rudder anodes installed from the factory?

Hi Mike,

By any chance do you have the part #s for aluminum anodes for the D4 and Onan genset? Did anyone say anything against switching those to aluminum?

Thank you!

Just call Bob at Boatzincs and he can special order. If you give him the part# for the zinc version he can order the aluminum for you.

Bob Olsen

BoatZincs.com

Tel: 978-841-9978 Fax: 866-763-2628
bob@BoatZincs.com www.BoatZincs.com

Interesting. A local company to me! I'll use them this spring, thanks.

Why do you want aluminium anodes in stead of zinc anodes? The diference in electrical potential between aluminium and other metal sorts is larger than the difference between zinc and other metal sorts. This is important to know because the electrical resistance in fresh water is higher than in salt water. Aluminium anodes are for fresh water. When you are on salt water the zinc anodes are preferable.

Why do you want aluminium anodes in stead of zinc anodes? The diference in electrical potential between aluminium and other metal sorts is larger than the difference between zinc and other metal sorts. This is important to know because the electrical resistance in fresh water is higher than in salt water. Aluminium anodes are for fresh water. When you are on salt water the zinc anodes are preferable.

Boat will be in brack-ish water this summer. I figured I'd switch to aluminum as the andoes need replacing.

No rudder zincs on our ST44
Boat Zincs is the place and they do carry the zincs for the thrusters.

I also order a few tubes of thread lock when I install the prop zincs

Good Luck

Based on the research I've done, Aluminum provides the following advantages:

1. Lasts longer than Zinc
2. Better for the environment
3. Protects in any type of water

You might choose Zinc if either of the following are true:

1. Boat is in tropical (very warm) waters, as Zinc will actually last longer than Aluminum in such environments
2. Boat will sit at anchor or in a slip for extended periods, as Zinc "sloughs" better than Aluminum, which can form a "crust" that inactivates the anode.

Zinc anodes have historically been cheaper than Aluminum anodes, which is likely why they have been much more popular. More recently, Aluminum prices have come down and in some cases Aluminum anodes are less expensive, which is driving up their popularity.

They say they do not carry pencil anodes in aluminum.. any chance you have a part # or copy of your receipt from them? Thank you

Did you speak to Bob directly?

As an update, even though I usually dock on a fresh water river that meets a saltwater sound, according to the USCAE, the salt content is high. I decided that I am going to stick with Zincs on this boat. I probably did not need to change from zinc to aluminum on my last two boats :/

I'm using aluminum on my aluminum boat and they work great. I'm in salt water only. Any other information trashing aluminum anodes is simply uninformed.

Why do you need aluminium anodes anyway? Your whole boat is an anode? Or not? Or should I not believe what I think?

I'm using aluminum on my aluminum boat and they work great. I'm in salt water only. Any other information trashing aluminum anodes is simply uninformed.

I’m confused. With an aluminum boat wouldn’t you want to use an anode that is more electrically active than the aluminum of your hull?

I’m confused. With an aluminum boat wouldn’t you want to use an anode that is more electrically active than the aluminum of your hull?

aluminum anode is likely different aluminum composition than an aluminum hull..

Mr. Blu, neither my boat nor the anode are pure aluminium, the alloys are different and the aluminium alloy choice for anodes is right next to zinc on the activity chart yet up to now they are cheaper and last 30 - 50% longer. And no, don't believe everything you think.

:)Awesome this Trawler Forum, I am learning every day.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom