44 Swift trawler prop specs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caseclosed

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Angel Sea
Vessel Make
2018 Beneteau 44ST
Hi All I have owned my boat for about 6 months and now I would like to dial in my boats performance by adjusting my prop specs. I am reaching 3490 -3500 on my port motor and 3530 on my starboard motor. Full fuel and full water plus all the stuff my wife has loaded the boat with. LOL. With a light fuel and water load I am seeing full RPM 3540 and 3560. Can anyone provide what propeller specs that you have and performance data you are seeing.Thanks

Hi All I have owned my boat for about 6 months and now I would like to dial in my boats performance by adjusting my prop specs. I am reaching 3490 -3500 on my port motor and 3530 on my starboard motor. Full fuel and full water plus all the stuff my wife has loaded the boat with. LOL. With a light fuel and water load I am seeing full RPM 3540 and 3560. Can anyone provide what propeller specs that you have and performance data you are seeing.Thanks

I get 3650 light load and 3550-3590 under heavier loads. Sea conditions can impact too (strong winds/currents).

Best to use a place that will computer scan the props before AND after any work is done and give you both printouts.

Let us know if you find the specific specs. If you cant find them I can try to dig out my last computer scan. You always want to have both props done at the same time and matched to one another.

There are all sorts of pros and cons to adjusting propellers in certain directions. Really depends on your application, intended use, etc. Some may opt to have props adjusted for better slow cruising/fuel efficiency while others may want higher cruising speeds.

I get 3650 light load and 3550-3590 under heavier loads. Sea conditions can impact too (strong winds/currents).

Best to use a place that will computer scan the props before AND after any work is done and give you both printouts.

Let us know if you find the specific specs. If you cant find them I can try to dig out my last computer scan. You always want to have both props done at the same time and matched to one another.

There are all sorts of pros and cons to adjusting propellers in certain directions. Really depends on your application, intended use, etc. Some may opt to have props adjusted for better slow cruising/fuel efficiency while others may want higher cruising speeds.

Mystery .Thanks my main goal is to reduce engine load and add longevity and less wear on the motors. I purchased a brand new set of props from the previous owner. Before I install them on the boat I was hoping to see what other owners have installed on their boats with real world rpm numbers. You appear to have your props specked out properly. It would be Greatly appreciated if you can share your prop scan data that I can apply to my new set of props.Thank you for all your advice. Steve

what do you think of these?

the before was after one prop shop touched it and then i had it scanned by a more reputable shop. they adjusted and scanned again after.

my props are matched pretty close but not identical. i forget which one was better performing, i have a second set of print outs for the other prop.

Attachments

• prop scan1.jpg
    prop scan1.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 25
  • prop scan2.jpg
    prop scan2.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 27
what do you think of these?

the before was after one prop shop touched it and then i had it scanned by a more reputable shop. they adjusted and scanned again after.

my props are matched pretty close but not identical. i forget which one was better performing, i have a second set of print outs for the other prop.

Mystery
Thank you for taking the time to help me out .These scans are very much appreciated.

I am curious what is best and others have as well. I am due to have my props removed and checked so could be an opportunity to make some small tweaks.

I am curious what is best and others have as well. I am due to have my props removed and checked so could be an opportunity to make some small tweaks.

I just delivered my props to the shop I will share results when I get them back.

Sorry to jump in here, but aren’t you supposed to adjust your prop to make sure your boat reaches maximum RPM for your engines?

Thinking of adding a backup set of props for travel (especially to the Bahamas) and 'just in case' we fowl one or two. Reading this post, I'm confused (learning) ... Beneteau says my Hull No should use "072186 x 4-bladed prop 24x25 LH (RH) 50 75 S8" at a cost of $2,875 ea plus shipping from France.

Do I have options?

Thinking of adding a backup set of props for travel (especially to the Bahamas) and 'just in case' we fowl one or two. Reading this post, I'm confused (learning) ... Beneteau says my Hull No should use "072186 x 4-bladed prop 24x25 LH (RH) 50 75 S8" at a cost of $2,875 ea plus shipping from France.

Do I have options?

can anyone make the prop locally?

and what exactly are you confused about?

Confused about the 'tweeking' of props. Thought we'd just buy the props which Beneteau suggests are right for the ST44. Do I need to have a 'computer scan' done to determine the right, or a better prop?

thanks, Scott

Confused about the 'tweeking' of props. Thought we'd just buy the props which Beneteau suggests are right for the ST44. Do I need to have a 'computer scan' done to determine the right, or a better prop?

thanks, Scott

you should always have shafts, props, couplers, etc, checked by machine shop upon receipt, and before installation. even brand new, things may not be tuned properly, and if they are, they may get messed up during shipping.

you adjust your prop for how you plan to use it.

Not sure I am following your answer. To ensure your diesel engines are not over or under loaded, I have been told to always make sure the engines are properly propped to ensure it performs to spec and lasts a long time. How would you tune your props based on your usage? I know with faster gas boats, folks tune for quicker acceleration, hole shot, and other characteristics depending on boat usage.

thanks, Scott

I purchased a pair of new props from the previous owner of my boat. The props are currently in the propeller shop being evaluated and tuned to provide me with better performance. The initial scan revealed the propeller camber was an inch larger on the portside prop. The shop will adjust the camber to make both props equal. Even though purchased new and never used the propellers where not matched equally. Please see info on the props and manufacture. These propellers are expensive perhaps there is a company in the states that has similar props.Hope this helps you. Steve

Attachments

• IMG_1755 prop 1.JPG
    IMG_1755 prop 1.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1756  2.JPG
    IMG_1756 2.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1758 3.JPG
    IMG_1758 3.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1759 4.JPG
    IMG_1759 4.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 5
Not sure I am following your answer. To ensure your diesel engines are not over or under loaded, I have been told to always make sure the engines are properly propped to ensure it performs to spec and lasts a long time. How would you tune your props based on your usage? I know with faster gas boats, folks tune for quicker acceleration, hole shot, and other characteristics depending on boat usage.

Hi my goal is to reduce engine load. With the boat heavy. full fuel ,water etc. Currently my top rpm with full load is just at 3500 RPM. By tuning the props I am hoping to be around 3560-3580 with a full load thus reducing the engine load.

Hi my goal is to reduce engine load. With the boat heavy. full fuel ,water etc. Currently my top rpm with full load is just at 3500 RPM. By tuning the props I am hoping to be around 3560-3580 with a full load thus reducing the engine load.

please keep us posted. once you get it figured out, sharing the computer scan sheet and the result would be great. i think i need to bring my props in again as its been a few years. how often do people get their propellers reconditioned? is one material more susceptible to falling out of balance than another? thanks!

btw fjprop.com can acquire eliche radiche products in the USA apparently. curious what their price would be compared to beneteaus.

also has anyone tried contacting eliche radiche directly and asking them their thoughts for how the propellers should be tuned (or what to experiment with)?

Are the props and bottom of the boat clean? You are chasing fewer than 80 rpms so some marine growth may be skewing your testing.

Back
Top Bottom