Zincs have melted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RickyD

Guru
Vessel Name
Aquarius
Vessel Make
Californian 55 CPMY
Ok I know I ignored this for too long. Finally got around to replacing zincs and they have melted but are partially clogging the holes. So my question is - do I try to dig out what I can and go on? Or do I pressurize the system and try to blow it out? Or do I dismantle everything and try to clean it out that way? What do you think?

I’d say it depends on where they are. If it’s on the raw water cooler end bells best bet and what I would do is pull the end bells to ensure you get everything and prevent clogging your cooler

You don’t say what type of heat exchangers you have, but if they’re cylindrical take off the ends if possible or if not, take off the hose near the zinc and fish them out from there.

Ken

I have Cat 3208s. There are two zincs on one end and one on the other.

Mine are round pipes with end caps. When I can’t get the old anode out I have to remove the end cap and grab it with needle nose pliers. Not to hard but just a pain.

Greetings,
Mr. RD. IF you get to poking around in your heat exchangers, DO NOT use anything hard (putty knives, nails, scrapers etc.). Use plastic or wood tools. You might damage the tubes or housing if you use steel or metal tools.
You might try an acid flush. I can't remember the proper solution but some will dissolve any remnants of your anodes.

Take the end caps off, put a light on one end and look down the tubes toward the light. If any of the tubes are plugged, use a coat hanger or thin rod to carefully clear them out, or try pressurized dock water. That doesn't address the problem of pieces of zinc possibly leaving the heat exchanger and moving elsewhere in your cooling system but it will get you started troubleshooting.

You may need to flush the system using something like Barnacle Buster or Redlyme.(sp?) They will dissolve those pieces of anode. Do a search on Google or YouTube. There are videos on how to do it.

Back
Top Bottom