Old 12-22-2014, 03:07 PM   #1

City: Milford, CT
Perkins T6.354M

I have a Perkins T6.354M in an 83 34 trawler. Has anyone rerouted the seawater flow so it doesn't go through the multicooler . I would be willing to add a sacrificial heat exchanger rather than corrode the multicooler ?

Jim W.
Minnion's
Jim W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 05:17 PM   #2

City: South Puget Sound, WA
As an alternative, is there anyway to install a zinc in the saltwater side?
Budds Outlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 05:18 PM   #3
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Hmm! By multicooler I assume that you mean what some call a manicooler- a combination exhaust manifold with a salt water heat exchanger bundle inside.

My understanding is that these can fail both on the glycol side as well as on the sea water side. So installing a separate heat exchanger would only remove the seawater side failure mode.

The glycol side flow path would have to be rerouted through an external seawater cooled heat exchanger. From my vague memory, the glycol path through the manicooler is set by the engine block casting and the manicooler casting. So it does not seem possible to reroute it.

I may have a faulty memory however.

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 06:00 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies I do like the idea of adding more anode material. The mani cooler and multi cooler are 2 very different assemblies this is a multi cooler if there are more ideas floating around.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:18 PM   #5

City: South Puget Sound, WA
My understanding of what failed and began leaking in my situation was the glycol side of something referred to as the heat exchanger on the Perkins Range 4 200. I suppose a zinc on this part would not have helped.
Budds Outlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 06:44 AM   #6
Guru

When is the last time you had it apart?
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 07:19 AM   #7
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
When is the last time you had it apart?
Jay has certainly touched on maintenance 101. Whether a HX, mani cooler, after cooler, exhaust elbow or RW pump - all these items require servicing or replacement after X years. In the case of Perkins mani coolers best you be ready for a very expensive repair if you elect to run them to failure. And failure will occur.

The notion of adding a zinc to a 30 year old seawater item to keep it from failing is wishful thinking at best. After 30 years likely on last legs in any event.

For those of us ignorant souls, what does the multi cooler cool and describe associated plumbing. Is this different than an after cooler designed to cool charge air?
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:15 AM   #8

This multi cooler is 5 years old.I take the tube stack out at the end of each season so far so good it just seems like the multi cooler would last longer by keeping the seawater from circulating through it .
Old 12-23-2014, 09:49 AM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
For those of us ignorant souls, what does the multi cooler cool and describe associated plumbing. Is this different than an after cooler designed to cool charge air?
The multi cooler cools the air charge (after-cooler), engine oil and tranny oil.
Unfortunately I just deleted some photos a few days ago of one that I was selling for a friend.

Sounds like it is in fairly good shape if it comes apart. For tips on keeping it that way Tony Athens has an article on the boatdiesel website that might help you out.

I'm thinking you might have a good idea by re-plumbing it for antifreeze but you'll lose some power because you won't be cooling the air charge as much.
I think the engine oil and tranny oil would still get cooled adequately, but I would want to check it to make sure of that. A few experiments with an IR temp gun will tell you that.
You also might want to add a pyrometer to monitor EGT esp if you use any of the upper end of the HP range because the compressed air will be hotter. Black smoke will be a clue there.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote