Old 09-06-2015, 09:56 AM   #1
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Yanmar heat exchanger service

I'm finally going to do the HE service on my 4jh4-hte. I found this parts diagram on the Internet. Which gaskets do I need? I assume I will just remove the core and clean it? Also there is a bulletin that states some engines like mine had an internal deflector that may have been installed incorrectly so I want to check that out as well.

Any other special instructions I should know about? Any tricks to make this job easier?

This engine also has an oil cooler and trans oil cooler I think but couldn't find a parts picture for those. Do I need to clean those also?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1441551311.850816.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	44187
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 10:59 AM   #2
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Bill, check the end caps of the HEs really good for rust and erosion. Some Yanmars have a lille piece in the center of the end cap that seems to have something to do with directing the water flow. I have replaced two end caps. Also remember that zincs are extremely important in Yanmar engines. Replace them at least annually if not before.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 12:43 PM   #3
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Yes, you need to tackle the gear and engine oil coolers too. In fact, the clogginess in the two little ones is often the culprit due to their small size. Do all coolers in the sea water path.

Regarding coolant HX seals, the rings at each end of the bundle are usually all that need to be replaced.

Pay particular attention to surface conditions where those rings seat. Gots to be smooth to be leak free. Corrosion damage on the ends of the Al manifold is a common problem.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:14 AM   #4
FF
Guru

On some heat exchangers a 22 rifle cleaning brush is a great tool.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 09:58 AM   #5
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
You'd be better off flushing it while leaving it on the engine if you can. You could flush the whole raw water cooling system at once that way.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 12:39 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
You'd be better off flushing it while leaving it on the engine if you can. You could flush the whole raw water cooling system at once that way.

I flushed it with Bbuster and it didn't seem to help. I must have a big blockage somewhere.

David on TF turned me on to this bulletin. I'm going to see if it's the problem.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1441647493.162719.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	44226

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1441647523.100532.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	44227

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1441647541.200450.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	44228
Old 09-12-2015, 12:53 PM   #7
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, fl
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
I am not sure why most folks talk about using Barnical Buster when it comes to HE problems when you can visually see if there is a problem by just removing the HE end caps. What you can't see and what BB is worthless to clean is the "Coolant" side of your heat exchanger tubes. After time antifreeze scales the HE tubes with a clay like coating. Using NAPA's Diesel engine flush cleans off all the scale without any disassembly. My 54hp Yanmar was scaled badly after five years of annually flushing the old antifreeze out and putting in new. NAPA's Diesel flush took care of the over heating problem. A friend of mine used it on his 175hp Yanmar, which was running fine, and it dropped his engine temp 5 degrees in Florida summer waters.
It's the easiest and cheapest fix for a hot engine you will ever try.
Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 01:34 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgitug View Post
I am not sure why most folks talk about using Barnical Buster when it comes to HE problems when you can visually see if there is a problem by just removing the HE end caps. What you can't see and what BB is worthless to clean is the "Coolant" side of your heat exchanger tubes. After time antifreeze scales the HE tubes with a clay like coating. Using NAPA's Diesel engine flush cleans off all the scale without any disassembly. My 54hp Yanmar was scaled badly after five years of annually flushing the old antifreeze out and putting in new. NAPA's Diesel flush took care of the over heating problem. A friend of mine used it on his 175hp Yanmar, which was running fine, and it dropped his engine temp 5 degrees in Florida summer waters.

That's interesting. Thanks. I'll flush the coolant side before I take it apart I think.
Old 09-12-2015, 02:22 PM   #9
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Heard some good things about ultrasonic cleaning of HXers. Any experience going this route from TFites?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 05:58 PM   #10
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
That's a good point. And a good think to do unless you know your coolant system is in good shape. But I've seen far more over heating or running hot issues due to issues with the raw water side than the fresh water side of a marine engine.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 06:48 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
That's interesting. Thanks. I'll flush the coolant side before I take it apart I think.

The process is easy. Drain the coolant. Fill with water and drain again until the water is clear. Add the NAPA Diesel Cooling System Flush per instructions. Then use your boat like normal for about ten engine running hours. Drain coolant and flush until clear. Fill with your PREMIXED antifreeze. Never add the antifreeze and then water and expect the engine to do the mixing. That will scale the tubes faster than you can say Oops. When you drain the flush, if your heat exchange was scaled, it will come out the color of coffee. Good luck and happy travels.
Old 09-12-2015, 11:12 PM   #12
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
The process is easy. Drain the coolant. Fill with water and drain again until the water is clear. Add the NAPA Diesel Cooling System Flush per instructions. Then use your boat like normal for about ten engine running hours. Drain coolant and flush until clear. Fill with your PREMIXED antifreeze. Never add the antifreeze and then water and expect the engine to do the mixing. That will scale the tubes faster than you can say Oops. When you drain the flush, if your heat exchange was scaled, it will come out the color of coffee. Good luck and happy travels.
Is the Napa stuff OK with Yanmar?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 05:54 AM   #13
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Do not use generic antifreeze in an aluminum manifold Yanmar- 4LH, 6LP or 6LY. Use Havoline Dexcool extended life antifreeze also sold by Napa stores.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:53 AM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
Do not use generic antifreeze in an aluminum manifold Yanmar- 4LH, 6LP or 6LY. Use Havoline Dexcool extended life antifreeze also sold by Napa stores.

David

Ok. Thanks for all the tips.

I have the O rings for the HE ready to go. Hope I can slide out that bundle without taking everything off the engine. Does the HE slide out from the front or back?
Old 09-13-2015, 08:04 AM   #15
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Been a while since I was in one, but as I remember, it will slide out either end. But you need clearance ahead or aft for the whole thing to slide its entire length out. On some Yanmars, things are in the way and exhaust manifold has to come off to pull bundle.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 08:21 AM   #16
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
It looks like Yanmar has expanded their list of approved coolants somewhat, but it is still quite specific. I received this memorandum from Mac Boring last year:

TO: MARINE DISTRIBUTERS
COOLANT ADDITIVES

After testing some popular coolant/anti-freeze solutions, we have reached the following recommendations. It was not possible to test all brands on the market, so there may be some solutions that are acceptable but have not been tested. However, caution is advised if using other than approved brands.

Regardless of the recommendation of the coolant/antifreeze manufacturers it is YANMAR'S requirement that the solution is changed every 500 hours (On the YANMAR Model 6LP 250 hours) or once a year whichever comes first. We do not recommend any other additives be added to the cooling system. Purified or distilled water mixed with the approved coolant/anti-freeze is the only protection approved by YANMAR. Concentrations of the Enix-ture should follow the recommendations of the manufacturer. The coolant/anti-freeze must be compatible with aluminum.

Advantages of this type of coolant:
  • Improved water pump life due to reduced water pump seal wear resulting from fewer abrasive dissolved solids.
  • Reduces hard water scale.
  • Offers excellent protection against pitting corrosion caused by cylinder liner cavitation.
  • Better heat transfer than conventional coolants with regular SCALE additions.
  • No silicate gel formation during use or storage.
  • Outstanding hot surface aluminum protection.
  • Superior protection in high operating temperature conditions.
  • Effective, long-term corrosion protection for aluminum, brass, cast iron, steel, solder and copper alloys.
The coolant/anti-freezes that have been tested and approved are shown below:
  • Texaco Long Life Coolant Anti-Freeze both regular and pre-mixed Product codes 7991 and 7998. This product is available in gallon containers, drums and bulk. It is recommended that the cooling system be drained and flushed before filling. Only Texaco Long Life Coolant should be used for top-off. This product has a much longer shelf life than conventional coolants provided the integrity of the container is maintained. For additional information and availability contact Texaco at 1-800-782-7852.
  • Havoline Extended Life Anti-Freeze/Coolant. Product code 7994. This product is available through Texaco gas stations, Procedures are the same as with Texaco Long Life Coolant Anti-Freeze.
  • Dex-Cool Long Life Coolant. This product is available through GM service centers worldwide.
  • Prestone Extended Life Coolant. Product code AF888. If the above coolants are not readily available, Prestone Extended life coolant is satisfactory.
Old 09-13-2015, 10:13 AM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Is the Napa stuff OK with Yanmar?

You have to remember that the Napa flush is only in the cooling system to clean it for 10 hours.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:52 AM   #18
Guru

Quote:
You have to remember that the Napa flush is only in the cooling system to clean it for 10 hours.

It might take me awhile to get 10 hours of running time. Can it sit in there for a fee days/weeks or do I need to get it out fairly quickly?
Old 09-13-2015, 01:10 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
It might take me awhile to get 10 hours of running time. Can it sit in there for a fee days/weeks or do I need to get it out fairly quickly?

That's a good question. Since the flush is designed to dissolve scale on your cooling tubes, if it were me, and it was, I put the flush in on Friday. Enjoyed boating around Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Then drained the cooling system on Monday. My 54hp Yanmar had gotten so bad that WOT was 3000. At 2500 I was over heating. After the flush I ran it at 2800 for over an hour and the temp never got above 178. Normal before was more like 190 @ 2300.
Old 09-13-2015, 01:18 PM   #20
Guru

Yanmar heat exchanger service

Ok. I didn't think it sounded good to let it sit in there.

My Yanmar heats up at anything over about 2400-2500 rpm. At WOT of 3200 it gets to 200 pretty quickly.

At under 2400 it runs about 180-185.