Old 03-18-2020, 07:28 PM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Victoria, BC
Vessel Name: Sounder
Vessel Model: Mainship 34T
Ok so I have a new solenoid however that was not the issue as it’s doing the same thing (not shutting down). I did discover one thing however, if I disconnect the wire that supplies power to the fuel shutoff solenoid (purple one) on either of the switches (upper or lower helm) then the other switch works as it should shutting down the engine. Once I connect them both back neither of them work. I have attached a picture of the underside of the switch (both are exactly the same). The red wires are positive and always hot when the breaker is on. The yellow one goes to the starting solenoid and is only hot when you press the switch to start the engine. The purple one is hot all the time and supplies power to the fuel shutoff solenoid, this one is interrupted when you push the switch to the stop position cutting power to the solenoid. The relay sits in between the fuel shutoff solenoid and the switch and I assume will allow either the upper or lower helm to start or stop the engine (I have replaced it with a new one). If anyone can help me trouble shoot this I would appreciate it, thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
26A92FFA-9CDD-486F-9F11-2D7A5F1E5BD0.jpg   97DA5F6D-DC83-48B9-90CA-3385872BBA77.jpg  

Diverrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 08:57 PM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Victoria, BC
Vessel Name: Sounder
Vessel Model: Mainship 34T
So I figured it out finally 😎 apparently you need to start with both the upper and lower switches in the off position. Then chose which position you plan on using and flash up from that station. As long as the one of the switches are in the off position then the other one will work as it should. If this is the way it was designed it seems strange as you can only shut the engine down from the position you started from unless you run up and down a couple time moving the switches to that one is in the run position and the other is off. Does anyone know if there is a way to make this easier, possible install a diode on the switch??

Rob

Diverrob is offline   Reply With Quote