Yanmar 6LYA-STP 2nd 'ry Fuel Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cartouche

Vessel Name
On The EdJ
Vessel Make
Former 390 owner now Sundancer 380
Looking for confirmation of my thoughts on changing the Yanmar Cartridge filter. The Raycor is fine I change every 50 Hours no problem. I am looking for confirmation on my thoughts, before trying myself
1/ Turn off fuel flow at tanks
2/ Remove Drain plug at bottom of Cannister, (Catch fuel in a Drip pan)
3/ Remove retaining bolt at bottom of filter canister
4/ Remove Cannister and old filter
5/ Ensure O ring is gone from old filter
6/ Clean cannister re install spring with New filter new gasket and drain bolt
7/ Bolt with new washer canister to fuel pump
8/ Open the fuel flow at tanks
9/ Open priming pump
10/ Pump until i hear fuel flowing inro cartridge, wait 10 minuets
11/ Close pump
12/ Fingers crossed start engine.

Sounds like you have an electric priming pump. That and your procedure above should work. If for some reason it doesn't, then crack each injector while cranking to clear the injector line of air. Once a few cylinders start firing the others should follow.

David

Sounds like you have an electric priming pump. That and your procedure above should work. If for some reason it doesn't, then crack each injector while cranking to clear the injector line of air. Once a few cylinders start firing the others should follow.

David
Many thanks

50 hours on the primary Racor is kind of short interval unless you have dirty tanks. With clean tanks I have no problem going two years or 500 hours. But that’s with vacuum gauges. Maybe go 100 and see how the elements look.

Are the Racor filter elements dirty at 50 hours? If so then you probably need to have your tanks cleaned. They should go way longer than 50 hours. On our last boat they would go for years and not be dirty.

50 hours on the primary Racor is kind of short interval unless you have dirty tanks. With clean tanks I have no problem going two years or 500 hours. But that’s with vacuum gauges. Maybe go 100 and see how the elements look.
Have vacuum gauge I am just a bit annul i guess

That's the procedure I use on my secondary filters. I pump the primer until I can hear fuel returning back to the tank.

Ed
I havevsame eng but I'm off the boat and Yanmar Oper Manual not available so going from memory. I basically agree with your steps w following clarifications

I leave a top of canister fitting lose after replacing cartridge & reassembling
Pump requires activation by rotating knurled to CCW
I pump until first sign of fuel coming out of loose fitting.
Tighten "bleed" fitting, tighten pump CW to seal
Start engine.

My thinking is eliminating air at the canister is preferable to pushing further in the system. That may / may not be an issue and have not tried pumping w/o an open bleed. Very little fuel is spelled if careful as canister fills and an absorbent pad put in place.
I seem to recall the Yanmar manual covers filter replacement procedure and was what I followed but its on the boat and I'm not.

[EDIT] Found manual online... here is the page w fuel bleed reference.
View attachment 130378

Last edited:
Ed
I havevsame eng but I'm off the boat and Yanmar Oper Manual not available so going from memory. I basically agree with your steps w following clarifications

I leave a top of canister fitting lose after replacing cartridge & reassembling
Pump requires activation by rotating knurled to CCW
I pump until first sign of fuel coming out of loose fitting.
Tighten "bleed" fitting, tighten pump CW to seal
Start engine.

My thinking is eliminating air at the canister is preferable to pushing further in the system. That may / may not be an issue and have not tried pumping w/o an open bleed. Very little fuel is spelled if careful as canister fills and an absorbent pad put in place.
I seem to recall the Yanmar manual covers filter replacement procedure and was what I followed but its on the boat and I'm not.

[EDIT] Found manual online... here is the page w fuel bleed reference.
View attachment 130378
Many Thanks I Could not follow link but will re read my Manual I must have missed it. Great tip for bleeding Will let you know how I make out

The link was supposed to be a screen shot of page 20 of the manual.
It spells the procedure out and provides a picture.

10/ Pump until i hear fuel flowing inro cartridge, wait 10 minuets

I pump till I hear fuel squinting back into tank not cartridge.

I seeing anyone doing it the way I do.

Going from memory and have not done this since last fall. But right on the top of the can is the fuel feed/out. I leave that off and than prime/pump the fuel into the can. Once the fuel start to spill out. I reinstall the fuel line.

I have only done this 3 time and each time the engine started right up

You’re lucky if just bleeding the filter housing is good enough. I just did my secondary filter yesterday and I have to bleed the housing, then the line at the injector pump inlet, then crack the two highest injector lines and crank till it starts to fire.
Not horribly complicated, but have to place oil pads all over the place to keep the mess down.
Not a yanmar btw.

You’re lucky if just bleeding the filter housing is good enough. I just did my secondary filter yesterday and I have to bleed the housing, then the line at the injector pump inlet, then crack the two highest injector lines and crank till it starts to fire.
Not horribly complicated, but have to place oil pads all over the place to keep the mess down.
Not a yanmar btw.

I bought my boat 2 years ago knowing nothing about diesels. Gas engines I know. Anyways, I had a mechanic come down and show me what I should know and on my Northern Lights genset.

Thats the way he should me and so far so good. BUT, now I know better if it does not restart after a filter change.:thumb:

I was hoping that some one would make a mod with a spin on filter or a drop in like Racor. But I have not found one yet. Changing is not hard to do, just a pain in the @#$.

Last edited:
I seeing anyone doing it the way I do.

Going from memory and have not done this since last fall. But right on the top of the can is the fuel feed/out. I leave that off and than prime/pump the fuel into the can. Once the fuel start to spill out. I reinstall the fuel line.

I have only done this 3 time and each time the engine started right up
That is all I have ever had to do on my 6LYA.
I normally do the primary first and make sure that is full of fuel before moving to the secondary.

Back
Top Bottom