Yanmar 6LY zincs, or lack of..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jefndeb

Guru
Vessel Name
Indigo Star
Vessel Make
2006 Mainship 400
I guess 7 months was too long.... 20201206_154715.jpeg

If your boat's external zincs were wasting at that rate, I would say you have a DC leak to the boat's bonding system that was eating up the zincs. But internal engine zincs wasting that fast, I don't know what to say. I do know it is not normal.

Could you have acid flushed the engine during that period without first removing the zincs. That would do it.

David

Actually 2 of these were broken off in the threaded shaft....I wish someone made pencil zincs that didn't break off and potentially block water flow....I guess they will eventually do what they are designed to do, erode away...:confused:

Actually 2 of these were broken off in the threaded shaft....I wish someone made pencil zincs that didn't break off and potentially block water flow....I guess they will eventually do what they are designed to do, erode away...:confused:
Take a look at Performance Metals anodes. They have a steel wire in the center of the zinc / alum pencil that significantly reduces breakage. I had several breaks before switching and now only rarely.

Just finished up my winterizing today and had a similar issue. I encountered zinc mush when the head came off deep on the front of the intercooler where I am sure the prior boat yard never changed (180hrs on motor). Anyway I used a small shop vac attachment and sucked out the debris.

I would agree that you should check your new zincs on a tighter schedule to see what the true rate of wear is.

Do you have a web site you order from?..link?

https://performancemetals.com/pages/navalloy-aluminum-anodes

Do you have a web site you order from?..link?
They sell through dealers. When I called them they said OK to order direct as no dealers in my immediate area.

Looks good...here is some info they sent...

Attachments

• Aluminum Anodes.pdf
    224.3 KB · Views: 12

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom