Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-21-2021, 04:24 AM   #1
Veteran Member
 
silverback's Avatar
 
City: Airlie beach
Vessel Name: Tui
Vessel Model: Integrity 350
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 37
Yanmar 6lpa-stp oil change interval

The owners manual for this lovely motor has conflicting advice as to oil change hours. In the text it recommends every 250 hours but in the schedule for maintenance it says every 125 hours. Helluva discrepancy. I reckon 200 hours as the engine is too powerful for my waterline so i cruise at modest revs. Any thoughts would be welcome. Thanks
__________________
Advertisement

silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 06:33 AM   #2
Guru
 
backinblue's Avatar
 
City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 1,140
How many hours do you do in a season, or do you boat all year? 200 hours is likely a fine amount especially if you are putting on hours frequently.
__________________

backinblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 07:30 AM   #3
Technical Guru
 
Ski in NC's Avatar
 
City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 6,176
Take an oil sample at 150hrs and post the results. Interval can be based on that.
Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 08:36 AM   #4
FF
Guru
 
FF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 21,923
The boats use pattern would be key, lots of cold starts and short operation, 150 might be right.


Cruising with a cold start and a day of motoring, 250 should be fine.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 08:45 AM   #5
Guru
 
Cigatoo's Avatar
 
City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,206
I second the oil sample. Most of us drain perfectly good oil.
__________________
Charlie0
Cigatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 10:04 AM   #6
Guru
 
backinblue's Avatar
 
City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback View Post
The owners manual for this lovely motor has conflicting advice as to oil change hours. In the text it recommends every 250 hours but in the schedule for maintenance it says every 125 hours. Helluva discrepancy. I reckon 200 hours as the engine is too powerful for my waterline so i cruise at modest revs. Any thoughts would be welcome. Thanks
I see 125 hrs in the maintenance schedule, where did you see 250? Anyway, if you are using your boat often and cruising fair distances at hull speed, 125 is likely a conservative number, however Yanmar has to cover all circumstances in their recommendation.
backinblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 10:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member
 
silverback's Avatar
 
City: Airlie beach
Vessel Name: Tui
Vessel Model: Integrity 350
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 37
Thank you all. I mostly cruise around the lovely Whitsunday islands on the Great Barrier Reef and except for a couple of longer cruises each year do mostly 2/5 hours a day at about 60/70% of available revs. So cruising at about 2500 of the 3800 rpm available. About 7 knots i calculate hull speed at about 7.5 knots. So nothing is under stress.
silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 10:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member
 
silverback's Avatar
 
City: Airlie beach
Vessel Name: Tui
Vessel Model: Integrity 350
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 37
On page 30 of the owners manual it states that 250 hours is recommended time. Sorry should have included ghat in my reply.
silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 04:12 PM   #9
TF Site Team
 
Bacchus's Avatar
 
City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 5,116
My manual for that Yanmar doesn't have anything re oil change on Pg 30. Maintenance chart is on Pg 34- 35 and lists 250 hrs. Not even a column for 125 hrs?
__________________
Don
2008 MS 34 HT Trawler
"Bacchus"
Bacchus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 04:28 PM   #10
Guru
 
backinblue's Avatar
 
City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
My manual for that Yanmar doesn't have anything re oil change on Pg 30. Maintenance chart is on Pg 34- 35 and lists 250 hrs. Not even a column for 125 hrs?
The manual is here and does say 250 on pg 30 but the chart on pg 54 says every 125 or 6 mos.

https://www.yanmar.com/media/global/...6LP-G00103.pdf

Personally I change oil every fall before winter storage. My hours per season are in the 100-125 range so never give it a second thought.
backinblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 05:02 PM   #11
TF Site Team
 
Bacchus's Avatar
 
City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 5,116
Just noticed mine is a different engine. 6LYA STP
370 HP but lower WOT and significantly larger oil capacity... almost 2X 20l
__________________
Don
2008 MS 34 HT Trawler
"Bacchus"
Bacchus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 05:14 PM   #12
Guru
 
backinblue's Avatar
 
City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Just noticed mine is a different engine. 6LYA STP
370 HP but lower WOT and significantly larger oil capacity... almost 2X 20l
That could explain it, but still a contradiction within the Yanmar manual. I have found Yanmar to be pretty responsive and suggest contacting them directly if anyone is concerned about this discrepancy.
backinblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 05:22 PM   #13
TF Site Team
 
Bacchus's Avatar
 
City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 5,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by backinblue View Post
That could explain it, but still a contradiction within the Yanmar manual. I have found Yanmar to be pretty responsive and suggest contacting them directly if anyone is concerned about this discrepancy.
Agree
I'll bet it was a copy paste from another manual to create that one and didn't catch the discrepancy.
__________________
Don
2008 MS 34 HT Trawler
"Bacchus"
Bacchus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 05:27 PM   #14
TF Site Team
 
City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,012
I'd be more apt to assume someone put a triangle in the wrong column, than they misprinted 235, when they meant 125. 125hrs seems like a short oil change routine.

I do mine once per year, because I don't even make it to 100 hrs in a season.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 05:31 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
City: Winthrop
Vessel Model: Pacific Trawler 40
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
I'd be more apt to assume someone put a triangle in the wrong column, than they misprinted 235, when they meant 125. 125hrs seems like a short oil change routine.

I do mine once per year, because I don't even make it to 100 hrs in a season.

Yep!
__________________
Iggy
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 05:47 PM   #16
Guru
 
backinblue's Avatar
 
City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
I'd be more apt to assume someone put a triangle in the wrong column, than they misprinted 235, when they meant 125. 125hrs seems like a short oil change routine.

I do mine once per year, because I don't even make it to 100 hrs in a season.
I disagree, but that's just my opinion. I say that because the scheduled maintenance chart is the bible when it comes to maintenance more so than some text elsewhere in the manual. I would assume someone proof-reading the text would miss the mistake easier than an engineer checking over the scheduled maintenance chart before publishing it. Reading through my Mainship manual, I can find a few errors that I chalk up to typos or mistakes, but I assume when it comes to specifications they are more likely to be accurate. Again, if anyone really cares, I'm sure Yanmar would supply the answer. Anyone know how it compares to other engine brands?
backinblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 05:57 PM   #17
TF Site Team
 
Comodave's Avatar
 
City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 11,747
We are looking at a boat that has 2 or the 370 hp Yanmars. So I downloaded a manual for it. The matrix shows an oil change at 50 hours and then every 250 hours.
__________________
Boat Nut:
If you are one there is no explanation necessary.
If you aren’t one, there is no explanation possible.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 06:06 PM   #18
Guru
 
backinblue's Avatar
 
City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
We are looking at a boat that has 2 or the 370 hp Yanmars. So I downloaded a manual for it. The matrix shows an oil change at 50 hours and then every 250 hours.
I would follow the matrix
backinblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 07:49 AM   #19
FF
Guru
 
FF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 21,923
I have never heard of an engine that failed from too fresh oil..
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:32 AM   #20
Guru
 
catalinajack's Avatar
 
City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,431
Of course not. Better yet, change your oil every 50 hours. Oil is inexpensive. Cheap insurance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
I have never heard of an engine that failed from too fresh oil..
__________________

catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×