Yanmar 4LV 230hp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

darkside

Vessel Name
Ahi
Vessel Make
Roger Hill Powercat
I'm building a new boat and the NA recommends the Yanmar 4LV 230hp engines.
Any one here have any experience with them?
They rev pretty high at 3800 and I think they are based on the Toyota Landcruiser Prado engine?

IF Yanmar publishes engine power tables see what the work boat 24/7 rating is , not the small pleasure boat 1 hour rating.

I am pretty sure that Yanmar does not sell that engine to the workboat crowd.

I don't have any real knowledge of that engine. I do know it has a very small displacement for its power output- 2.8 liters vs the 3.5 liters of its predecessor the 4LH, a very solid engine. Hp per liter is generally inversely proportional to engine life.

But small highly turbocharged engines are in vogue now. I would have never thought that Ford's small Ecoboost engines would work on the F150 pickup but apparently they do.

David

Not that the recommendation is bad but, does he have a backup recommendation?

I remember the good old days when you could get all the parts you desire from the shop that sold you the engines.

The only other marine engine that might work is the Volvo D4 series. It is a 3.7 liter engine, so might be too big. They have versions of 170 to 320 hp. The 230 hp one would match the Yanmar but with almost 1 liter more displacement. And it gets that 230 hp at a more reasonable 3.400 rpm.

I know that Volvos get bad press here due to high parts prices, but Yanmar's are pretty high too. I would seriously consider the D4 if the builder can do it.

David

DavidM, remember you have to get around the engine to perform the proper maintenance.

Once you get the Yanmar, star.t stocking up on parts. TEASE
Oil filters, impellers, belts etc.
It has been said, "dont go to sea without an extra starter." That's a pretty good advice and while you are at it, pick up a starter for my Cummins 5.9 too. LOL
I would recommend a spare alternator and a pump to get fresh water out of your tank.

Back
Top Bottom