Old 12-04-2021, 06:43 PM   #1
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Yanmar 315 HP crank case vent oil catch can

Thinking the AirSep filter was getting dirty at what I considered to be short intervals, I added this 350 ml bottle (Coke can size) to the vent line before the newly cleaned AirSep. To orient yourself, top is to left, and the red hoses lead to and from the bottle. I especially like the sight gauge to enable me to monitor the collection. Then I ran the engine for seven straight hours about half of which was at 2800-2900 RPM and the other half slowly maneuvering over fish havens in the Gulf. Running up to 3800 at WOT just because was included in the trip. I was please to drain one DROP of oil out of the bottom drain of the bottle and got a slight smear of oil on my finger at exit of the hose attachment point on the AirSep. Running a white paper towel over the AirSep filter media right at the point the vent line terminates over it revealed no trace of any oil or sootiness. I really had no idea of the amount of blow by I was getting on this 859-hour engine, but I was anticipating more. Not bad to get that knowledge and monitoring ability for a mere 28 bucks.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC03580.JPG  
rgano is online now   Reply With Quote