Yamaha OEM portable tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maerin

Guru
Vessel Name
M/V Maerin (Sold)
Vessel Make
Solo 4303
My 6 gal. OEM portable tank for the dinghy has developed some strange splits in the surface of the tank along the edges of molded in shapes. The cracks appear to be only "skin deep", just the top skin of the surface seems to be separating. No leakage. The tank is 4 yrs. old.

Anyone experience this sort of problem? I've seen them fading, but not the cracking. For a relatively pricey OEM tank, it seems like a pretty short life span. Our dinghy is covered about a 3rd of the time, and the tank lives under the seat. Not sure if it should be replaced or if the problem will remain cosmetic.

Purchased from Defender, in reviewing my order history to determine the time frame, I'm thinking it's not too much to ask about any warranty on the tank. The $115 I spent on the tank is but a drop in the bucket in the orders I've placed. :)

Attachments

• IMG_3068.jpg
    IMG_3068.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_3069.jpg
    IMG_3069.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3071.jpg
    IMG_3071.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 52
The assistance tower I worked for had a large batch of 5 gallon plastic jerry jugs do the same. They were from about 8 years ago.

New ones not doing it. I probably had the peeling ones 3 years with no leaks before they just got too scary looking for even the boss.

The outer layer of fuel tanks is a hard plastic that resists dings, but is not fuel tight. The middle membrane is fuel tight. But sun degrades the outer layer and after time it cracks and in the case of mine, big sections peeled off.

Although it might still hold fuel a cracked outer layer degrades the strength of the tank and I would replace it. Save the fuel hose and fittings and just buy a new tank.

David

My Yamaha tank is 8 years old and still fine. It sits out all summer in the dink.

Just a follow up on the resolution of the portable tank issue.

I contacted Defender since I purchased the tank from them. I received a reply from Stephan Lance. The short version is that the tank at 4 yrs. out, is beyond the warranty period, and unfortunately for today's tanks, 4 yrs. is about the expected lifetime. Their past experience has been that Yamaha won't be much help, but they're more responsive to the end user in these cases, so I should give them a call. If Yamaha won't help, I can purchase a replacement at a reduced cost.

Yamaha did respond, asked for photos of the tank and sent a $50 voucher toward the purchase of a new tank. They also advised that the tank should be stored in a cool location and not in direct sunlight.

Huh?? This is a portable tank, it's used on an inflatable dinghy that by virtue of its intended use spends the bulk of its life in the heat of the sun in the south. Was that not considered in designing a tank for that application?? Well, it should at the least have a cover, they reply. Evidently it's difficult to engineer a product that will hold up. Perhaps there's a niche market for portable tank covers.

So Defender applied the voucher, I paid the difference, and the new tank is on its way! I suppose we'll have a cover made for the new tank!

Last edited:
I guess they want the tank to sit on the shelf at west marine ,at a high price and not outside. If their engine is not in the water, it wont break either. Glad they gave you something for your trouble.

My tank is under the seat so it gets partial protection perhaps that is what is saving it.

Portable tank covers?

Don't laugh. After I had three or four gasoline tanks split at the seam, in as many years, I bugged my wife into making a cover to keep the sun off. It helps as the current tank is now about four years old.
Pain yes, but better than the leakers and guess when they leak, either in a marina or you are out at anchor in the middle of nowhere.
What got me was when stored on the swimgrid the sun never got them because the dingbat covered them but there was enough exposure when the dinghy was down to ruin them.

Gasoline develops quite a high vapour pressure and substantially swells the tanks when exposed to the sun.

I also don't think they tanks are as well made as they used to be as the originals got to over ten years before I had a problem with no covers.
Thinner walls or poorer quality resin maybe, don't know.

Hmmm, my 3 year old Tohatsu portable tank also sits out in the sun all the time (well, 5 months a year in NE) on the floor of the dink. I didn't notice any particular degradation, but I didn't really look. Guess I should keep an eye on it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom