Would you buy a boat with engines like this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
First I though you color coated circuits (like cooling circuit, oil circuit), but that doesn't seem to be the case here, one too many colors for me, actually like the chrome valve cover that I've seen on this from time to time.

First I though you color coated circuits (like cooling circuit, oil circuit), but that doesn't seem to be the case here, one too many colors for me, actually like the chrome valve cover that I've seen on this from time to time.

I do like the chrome as well. Unfortunately, the chrome flakes off and it gets rusty (almost immediately according to American Diesel). The only thing to do is either re-chrome it or paint it; better than the rust!

You dont need to turn the ER lights on.
Go for it

When buying a boat, I'm concerned about everything that's going on beneath the engine paint. Personally, I prefer white engines, makes it easier to see leaks and seeps. But ultimately it's far from being anywhere near a deal killer.

I like the multi-color look. Jazzes things up downstairs a bit. Steyr does some color coding on their engines and it looks good to my eyes.:thumb:

Me too at first sight I was thinking that the color matched the different circuits which would have been clever ! Maybe a thought for next time :)

L

Me too at first sight I was thinking that the color matched the different circuits which would have been clever ! Maybe a thought for next time :)

L

may there never be a next time...

. Everything that's not red was removed and serviced, valve cover means new seal and valve clearances, heat exchangers repaired and pressure tested, new oil coolers, new freshwater pump, rebuilt harmonic balancer, ....
That dang gearbox, I should paint that sometime... Maybe bright yellow? Or stick to blues and reds?

What was involved in rebuilding the harmonic balancer?

So all painting was by brush? No spraying at all?

And yes, now do the gearbox. If I had a vote, it would be for white.....that would be a great contrast.

My thoughts except I’d go with a crinkle cut black instead of chrome.

What was involved in rebuilding the harmonic balancer?

So all painting was by brush? No spraying at all?

And yes, now do the gearbox. If I had a vote, it would be for white.....that would be a great contrast.

I sprayed everything that's not red. Everything that I had taken off the engine.
Harmonic balancer was some **** to remove, but once I got it off, did USPS priority to Dale Manufacturing. They just popped it in the mail today (2 days after they got it). I guess they get rid of all the old rubber, clean it up, pour in brand new rubber, let it set, then paint the thing. I'll get back to you on Monday how they look, but I'm optimistic. $130 bucks per balancer - not too bad.

I sprayed everything that's not red. Everything that I had taken off the engine.
Harmonic balancer was some **** to remove, but once I got it off, did USPS priority to Dale Manufacturing. They just popped it in the mail today (2 days after they got it). I guess they get rid of all the old rubber, clean it up, pour in brand new rubber, let it set, then paint the thing. I'll get back to you on Monday how they look, but I'm optimistic. $130 bucks per balancer - not too bad.

Did they rebuild yours or take a rebuild from the shelf?

I think it looks good. Sounds like you put a bunch of time in to it - is your entire boat given this much care? Would like to see the engines...

You could put something like this VW Golf Harlequin on-deck to match those motors:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    64.3 KB · Views: 47
“Would you buy a boat with engines like this?”

Co.ors don’t scare me, but gravity defying exhaust risers do!
Go to sbmar.com, and look for articles involving exhaust system design and configuration.
If, or should I say when, the exhaust pipe within the water jacket fails, it will feed raw water back into the exhaust manifold, any any open exhaust valves will flood those cylinders.
You need a “dry riser” to take the exhaust over the hump, so to speak, before the water injection point.

I like it a lot.:thumb:
Makes me think you care about the engine.:dance:
I'm feeling jealous:eek:, but not enough to get off my ass and do the work.:nonono:

On my green engines, the water injection point bears no relation to the nipple location. The exhaust elbow is a sleeve. The water comes into the sleeve at the nipple, surrounds the exhaust pipe as a cooling jacket for the length of the elbow, over the hump and down to the lower end, then is sprayed into the pipe in a circular pattern and exits down the hose. When mine were replaced, recently, I inspected them. The potential failure at 36 years and 6100 hours, was the circular exits rusting out. Had the rusting progressed, potentially holing to the outside, so failure would fill the bilge with hot water, not backflood the engine, had it occurred (which didn't happen).

I expect the Lehman design is similar.

Good answer, and hopefully in time to save the OP heart wobbles. Here's how my Lehman is set up, and this exchanger and exhaust knuckle and injection point are all pretty new, as is the fibreglass (replacing galvanised steel) muffler.

Attachments

• Image020.jpg
    Image020.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 42
Thanks for the exhaust elbow input. Mine is also a sleeve that takes the water over the riser (I had a look in there when working on the exhaust previously). It's also the 'newer' stainless steel model (I guess it used to be black iron or something). I am confident that it will do it's job until the death of the boat.

Did they rebuild yours or take a rebuild from the shelf?

Not sure, but I think they rebuilt mine. They were a small-ish operation, and he said he had only done a handful of Lehman balancers before.

Not sure, but I think they rebuilt mine. They were a small-ish operation, and he said he had only done a handful of Lehman balancers before.

Unless your housing was damaged, IMO, it is best to get your own back.
In this and most cases, I am speaking from total ignorance. Just expanding my knowledge

The problem with the OPs wet elbow configuration is that it traps raw water in the jacket, potentially accelerating corrosion in the elbow, as opposed to Pete’s, where the raw water all drains downhill into the exhaust hose upon shutdown.

Back
Top Bottom