Wix filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

diver dave

Guru
Vessel Name
Coquina
Vessel Make
Lagoon 380
Any positive or negative experiences? I’m doing my first oil change on small Perkins/Volvo diesels. Trying to avoid the $$ Volvo parts.

wix always made a respectable filter. I’ve used them on Volvo’s in the past without reservation.

Don’t know about Wix, but I just had a bad experience with Napa fuel filters. Had to change the secondaries on our Lehmans. I used the Napa filters the PO left aboard. Couldn’t keep the engine bled. Wouldn’t start the next day. Spoke to Brian at American Diesel. He said they were the worst filters made. He sent me some Delphi filters and the problem went away immediately. I don’t plan to ever use a Napa again.

I did some searching when I first changed my oil filter and from what I see Wix are some of the best filters out there.

I had a Cummins mechanic recommend WIX oil filters for our Cummins QSC engine so I've been using them for a couple years. In checking around, they seem to have a very good reputation.

Without lab analysis, define good or bad.

I've used them a lot and they are good filters.
My son used to use them all the time at his automotive shop as "Car Quest" filters are re branded Wix.

Without lab analysis, define good or bad.

good question. A user can only determine leaks, deformation, and rust!

But, I had a lab analysis, and although there were ppm reports of various elements and compounds, there was no analysis of SIZE of particles, the actual job of a filter to keep small.
So, a total trust me on the filter manufacturer.

A more basic question: why won't a $6 "car" filter work for me? 30hp diesels.
I have a 50 year successful history with car filters. Even the Wix filter is over $20 each.

Engine oil lab analyses generally don't do particle counts. Will do for gear and transmission fluid, not sure why not. Probably could contact the lab and for a cost they could run a particle count, and that would include size.

Over 25yrs in the business, I have found Wix filters to be good quality. In fact they make lots of filters for OEM's and paint them what ever color they want. Some Napa filters are Wix, some are not.

If you get on the Wix website, they have a cross-reference feature that is quite handy. In the specs there is often the micron rating of the media. I think usually oil filters are around 20mic, but without an explanation as to the type of rating that is (can read all day about that!!).

With the thousands of cycles the oil makes through the filter, the oil will stay pretty dang clean with regards to particles.

What degrades the oil is not really the particle count nor size, but chemical degradation and gunk in solution. Filter won't do anything about that.

Back
Top Bottom