Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-23-2020, 07:58 AM   #1
Guru
 
catalinajack's Avatar
 
City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,844
Why Separate Fuel Filters for My Generators?

I am considering replacing my Davco (Davco is used extensively on trucks) fuel filter heads with Tony Athens Cummins sequential filtering heads with vacuum gauges. But, I am running into a mounting location problem. I have two generators each with its own Racor 500 filter. I am thinking about mounting the Athens filter head where the Racors are but what to do about filtration for the generators. Is there any reason why I should not tee off the Athens heads to supply filtered fuel to the generators. I rarely run a generator while underway. Even so, my Lehman 120s draw only 2 GPH so I don't see a problem running both on occasion. Thoughts?

The other option is to use one of the Racors to supply both generators as both are never run at the same time.
__________________
Advertisement

catalinajack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 08:05 AM   #2
Guru
 
OldDan1943's Avatar
 
City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 6,330
What size are your generators? I suspect one gen is a back up for the other.
Synchronizing the output and placing the on the same buss? How do you accomplish that?
I dont know why but Racor seems to be the standard for American boats. Easy to find filters.
__________________

__________________
The meek will inherit the earth but, the brave will inherit the seas.
OldDan1943 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 08:29 AM   #3
Guru
 
City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 8,915
CJ
Nice move in getting Tony's setup for your mains. My first thought would be one filter split between the two gensets. If per chance the running genset sucks the fuel from the non running genset, install an isolating valve between filter and each genset.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 08:32 AM   #4
Guru
 
catalinajack's Avatar
 
City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
What size are your generators? I suspect one gen is a back up for the other.
Synchronizing the output and placing the on the same buss? How do you accomplish that?
I dont know why but Racor seems to be the standard for American boats. Easy to find filters.
No, no, not running both generators at the same time! The question is whether I can use one filter head to supply a propulsion engine AND a generator. Two generators came with the boat and appear to be the original build. One is a 7.7kw Westerbeke. The other is a Perkins-powered Kohler 12.5kw. I use the Westerbeke for smaller demand loads.

As for the Racors, I do not like them. I prefer the sequential filtering of a Tony Athens setup. I see little utility in a clear sight bowl. If I want to know what is going on, I open the bottom drain and take a look. No guesswork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
What size are your generators? I suspect one gen is a back up for the other.
Synchronizing the output and placing the on the same buss? How do you accomplish that?
I dont know why but Racor seems to be the standard for American boats. Easy to find filters.
catalinajack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 08:34 AM   #5
Guru
 
catalinajack's Avatar
 
City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,844
Ah, I wouldn't have thought about an isolating valve! That would work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
CJ
Nice move in getting Tony's setup for your mains. My first thought would be one filter split between the two gensets. If per chance the running genset sucks the fuel from the non running genset, install an isolating valve between filter and each genset.
catalinajack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 09:20 AM   #6
Guru
 
OldDan1943's Avatar
 
City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 6,330
Good engineering practices.... at least one filter for each engine.
2 on the main engine to make it VERY easy to change filters while underway.
__________________
The meek will inherit the earth but, the brave will inherit the seas.
OldDan1943 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 09:27 AM   #7
Guru
 
rgano's Avatar
 
City: Southport north of Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
I am considering replacing my Davco (Davco is used extensively on trucks) fuel filter heads with Tony Athens Cummins sequential filtering heads with vacuum gauges. But, I am running into a mounting location problem. I have two generators each with its own Racor 500 filter. I am thinking about mounting the Athens filter head where the Racors are but what to do about filtration for the generators. Is there any reason why I should not tee off the Athens heads to supply filtered fuel to the generators. I rarely run a generator while underway. Even so, my Lehman 120s draw only 2 GPH so I don't see a problem running both on occasion. Thoughts?

The other option is to use one of the Racors to supply both generators as both are never run at the same time.
Other than the possibility of some clog or even filter body related casualty which would render both engine and gen OOC, there is no flow rate restriction on teeing off.
__________________
Rich Gano
FROLIC (2005 MainShip 30 Pilot II)
Panama City area
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 12:10 PM   #8
Guru
 
catalinajack's Avatar
 
City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
Other than the possibility of some clog or even filter body related casualty which would render both engine and gen OOC, there is no flow rate restriction on teeing off.
I did some exploring. Turns out that the feed to the generators is already a tee. The valves I found hidden underneath a shelf, in the dark. I always knew there were two valves there but never traced them out to see what they do. One valve is the supply, the other is the return to the manifold. There is also a valve on the manifold that supplies the tee valve. Way too hokey for my taste plus too may hoses, excess length, old hoses. I will be re-configuring the entire setup including removing one of the Racor 500s and installing all new hose. Only one generator will be running at any one time so the second Racor is just in the way.

I will not be supplying both a generator and drive engine from the new filter assembly as I will be eliminating one Racor anyway. Thanks guys for your insights.
catalinajack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 08:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member
 
Propnut's Avatar
 
City: Goldsboro NC
Vessel Name: Wave Walker
Vessel Model: 41' PT Europa
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 86
Iíve got Tonyís filter setup on my single engine 6BT-210 and run my generator from the same filter. I have a cutoff valve for the generator so if thereís a problem with the generator I can isolate it from the main engine. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0840.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	109219
__________________

Propnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×