Old 07-10-2019, 09:13 PM   #61

City: Fort Lauderdale
psneeld, your quote is right to the point...

""A diesel is overloaded when the load imposed limits the rpm demanded by the governor. This is seen as the point where the governor calls for more fuel delivery but the [engine] speed can not increase" [my addition]

Backing off on the throttle of an engine that is NOT over-propped will generally allow the engine to operate below its max rated power curve which will, as long as it operates within the right temperature range, help prolong its MTBO. But using the prop load to limit the engine to that same RPM will do exactly the opposite. And if you run at that load-limited RPM continuously, you will be running at or above max rated load 100% of the time. I can't for the life of me understand why someone would intentionally do that.
philfriedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:35 PM   #62
Guru

City: Anacortes
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Ok....but a huge number here are not under engine warranty and know better than rookie info.

If you don't want to overprop, your choice.

If you do want to overprop for reasons discussed, fine if you know the dangers...not the usual drivel spouted by amatuers.

Read the second sentence of para 3 in post 30.

Why don’t you have the courage and honor to just call me out directly?

I think we both know why.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:58 AM   #63
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost View Post
Why don’t you have the courage and honor to just call me out directly?

I think we both know why.
Wasn't thinking particularly if you in general, could care less...but as the old expression says. .. if you think the words apply to you.....

Well actually, your partial post IS discussed by another poster as "no one is saying" .....and I pointed them in that direction. Post #57.

You want honor and courage...I have plenty to back me up and you don't have a clue about who I am..... Let it go. Every day TF is just a round robin where readers have to guess who actually knows anything.....and when those posts are challenged.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:49 AM   #64
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
psneeld wrote;
“and you don't have a clue about who I am..... Let it go.”
You show us every day who you are. Ghost and all the rest of us know who you are.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:07 AM   #65
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
psneeld wrote;
“and you don't have a clue about who I am..... Let it go.”
You show us every day who you are. Ghost and all the rest of us know who you are.
You really think forum posts make the whole person?

There is good info on this thread, let's not get it shut down because it's becoming personal.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:35 AM   #66
Guru

I will let others decide what they want to believe.

Believe me, if I thought an apology was warranted I would post it...I have before.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:34 AM   #67
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
You really think forum posts make the whole person?

You obviously think so. 19,000 posts in 8 years?
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:46 AM   #68
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Engineers get in a bar fight over engine loading curves....
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:47 AM   #69
Guru

City: Anacortes
I think we should shut down any thread where everyone is not welcome to post. Calling people amateurs should get you booted immediately.

Moderators?

Moderators?

<crickets>
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:04 AM   #70
Guru

syjos,
We all advertise who we are by what we say, to whom and our use of words ect ect. Guys like me who basically let it all hang out are better known but of those that post quite a bit and often are quite well known. Sometimes I’ll be reading a post and try to guess who the poster is. And we can leave well known trails. If a new post starts out with quarter beam buttock lines more than dozens will know who the poster is. What we post comes out of our brains (consider the source they say) and who we are is mostly what’s in our brains.

psneeld says “I will let others decide what they want to believe.”
Hmmm we all know him well enough to know that’s farthest from the truth. But parts of hundreds of posts show that he essentially says that. Wants us to believe it I suppose. But the vast majority of us are trying to get others to believe what we believe. Or at least think about what we are thinking about.

Old 07-11-2019, 11:08 AM   #71
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost View Post
I think we should shut down any thread where everyone is not welcome to post. Calling people amateurs should get you booted immediately.

Moderators?

Moderators?

<crickets>
Why shut down the thread? It’s not the thread that is the problem. And that’s what we’re here for is threads and conversation.

Old 07-11-2019, 11:48 AM   #72
FF
Guru

Unless its something specific like a part number , most folks post their OPINION.

Frequently based on decades of boating , but still simply, their opinion.

Good , bad or insane is for the reader to decide.

With multiple responses most really strange concepts are weaned out rapidly..
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:47 PM   #73
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
My thread, my call. Please don't bring machismo issues into a thread about over propping. I can guarantee you most don't care about how many posts you have, how large your d... is, how bright or dumb you are, how brave you are, or how wise or not you are.

Most of us are looking to improve our knowledge, some one's bravery (or questioning it) does not add to that. I posted this thread because I genuinely didn't know why people over prop. I did not post this thread to learn about how many posts some one has, I too can look under your name for that, or how brave some one is, generally not a requirement for trawler cruising, though that might make an interesting thread - when did bravery enter your cruising experience? I'm sure it would get at least two posts.

I was a moderator in one of my many interests and it has always fascinated and depressed me at the same time - no hope for humanity - how insignificant an issue could bring grown men to thump their chest and bring general emotional pollution to a thread.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:03 PM   #74
Guru

City: Northport
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48 View Post
I run into this frequently with boaters, they brag about how their boat is over propped not realizing the damage that can be done to a motor that functions at lower RPM pushing more weight.

So why do people over prop?
"So why do people over prop?"
A vast majority over prop because they have no idea about the reason for propping correctly and/or the affects and repercussions that over propping can bring. I am sure there are many other reasons but this would be the most common by far.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:05 PM   #75
Guru

City: .
Vessel Name: GOTCHA
Vessel Model: Hatteras 58 LRC
"This has been beat to death for 100 years. It is not rocket science guys" flg

This has strayed so far off the subject it should have been answered a week ago. OH YES it was answered.

Old 07-11-2019, 01:24 PM   #76
Guru

when I bought my boat it was over propped by 6 inches of propeller pitch. I replaced the props with the correct ones and was able to achieve the rated engine RPM. Running my at trawler speed. which is where I am most comfortable oh, my engine will not achieve (well what I think is sufficient temperature) so now I see the value of being over propped. I never attempt to run my boat act maximum rpm and speed. Honestly it is loud and not comfortable for me
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:39 PM   #77
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
So why do people over prop?"

Because it works.
For the knowledgeable owner / operator with an understanding of the limiting parameters, it can reduce RPM, noise, and slightly improve fuel consumption without effecting engine life expectancy.

Now if you don't know what your doing, it can cost you dearly. But that's true of most things in boating.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 05:55 PM   #78
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Probably most that are overpropped are because the boat came that way.

Then when they haul out and perhaps think about prop load they notice many here on TF are overpropped and most seem experienced or even old salts. Then they recall hearing one will burn less fuel and of course the’ve had the experience of going to the fuel float (of barge) and getting shocked at the cost. And that’s it. They just keep on keep’in on thereafter.

Then a few come along every now and then w a bunch of numbers and theories that are very overwhelming and it’s rejected because even the experts on TF continue to argue about whether it’s good or bad. Then they think of fuel again. So the motive to change is very small so they chime in w the others claiming it’s the smart thing to do. So if it’s the smart thing to do it would be dumb to do any different and they get to talk about how smart it is to do w the big boys on TF too. And it goes on and on.

But another thing goes on and on. That’s the fact that no engine manufacturer recommends overpropping.
Then there’s hull speed. All the old salts talk about hull speed. So many attempt to or do run their boat at hull speed. May be the perfect speed for SD boats not close to FD but for those close to hull speed it’s not the speed to go. And for FD it’s the speed to never ever go unless the boat is overpowered (most are) and you’re doing a spring check on systems engine wise.

But if you’re at all concerned about fuel consumption most SD and all FD boats should be run 1/2 to one knot below hull speed. But the average TF guy is confused again and hears many run at a “sweet spot” and then we have license to find a speed he feels is nice. Almost always the speed that is run at the rpm where there is the least vibration and hence noise as well and almost absolutely everybody like that. Hard not to like smooth and relatively quiet. And the old salts on TF are frequently talk’in about it so it must be the thing to do.

But re overpropping is not recommended by any engine manufacturer.
This is my post on page two and one of the big reasons many overprop.
You could say it’s cool. When the subject is brought up the newbies are overwhelmed w theories and numbers. And they see many old salts on the forum do it. So many just do it because it makes them look good ... like they understand it and are in the know. More of a copy cat thing than anything else. But saving fuel gets a lot of attention. I think it’s usually 3-5% but one chap here speaks of 10%. ??

Old 07-11-2019, 06:07 PM   #79
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Yes, this subject has been beaten to death. However, there are some of us (me) who are a bit slow. I learn a lot by reading what more knowledgeable folks have to say on the topic. In this thread, I have learned more about how diesel engines work, their power output, and how that relates to the loads imposed by a prop. It takes me an inordinate amount of time to learn some concepts so the back and forth discussion is helpful.

Sure there are times when folks may get a bit too emotionally involved in the discussion, but that is easily handled by de-escalation.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:11 PM   #80
Guru

Thanks Dave for your non-combative, objective and good natured posting.