Old 06-21-2017, 07:40 PM   #21
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Wiping down a relatively new, rust free engine does the same without the harmful effects of washing it.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 07:54 PM   #22
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Wiping down a relatively new, rust free engine does the same without the harmful effects of washing it.
you are so predictable Paul...
Sigh,
Bruce

Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 07:54 PM   #23
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
I've only washed down my starboard engine once, after I managed to make a hash of a fuel filter change. So, lots of those fuel spill sponge sheets, some degreaser, wiping and finally a hose down.

Afterwards the 'water in fuel' alarm (sensor at filter) drove me nuts. From now on a wipe down will be the limit!
Old 06-21-2017, 08:00 PM   #24

City: Anchor Pointe, Ohio
Vessel Name: Sea Moose
Vessel Model: 1976 34' D/C Taiwanese Trawler
A little dishwasher soap mixed in water makes an excellent degreaser, especially for diesel. Discovered this when I cut my 35 year old tanks out, making a ferocious mess...
SeaMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:07 PM   #25
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Fortunately, I inherited two great 30 year old Perkins 4.236 engines. When I bought the boat, they already had the Perkins patina. Today, they are great 40 year old engines...with a little more patina.

I also clean up after oil changes and I know just about every drip of my engines. As a responsible Perkins owner/operator, I have drip pans and oil diapers to catch and indicate the current oil "flow" patterns.

Early on, I was told that if my Perkins stopped leaking oil then it means they're low on oil. I once removed a start solenoid bracket bolt from the case and oil emerged from the threaded hole. I knew at that moment that there was really no need to chase leaks. In my case, better to catch, observe and address the changes. It works for me, anyway.

Nice to have a modern, new boat, though! I love the everything about it except the price. Until I hit the lottery (which I don't play), I'll enjoy my "comfortably imperfect" trawler, but KUDOS to you for an impeccable ER! I love seeing boats like this and Codger's and so many others here on TF. It helps me keep the dream alive and be thankful for what I have!

Cheers!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:20 PM   #26
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Well, I'm a bit anal with machinery. A clean (and properly lubricated) piece of equipment is a joy to behold IMO. I admit to having degreased and hosed down the non electrical bits in our ER at least once in the past, primarily to remove built up grime but use of water to flush has been VERY limited since. Subsequent clean-ups have been accomplished with, as mentioned, WD-40 which I agree is a great general maintenance/cleaning item as opposed to a lubricant. I have the advantage of a small air compressor on board which is great for blowing oil seeps or excess WD to an area where it is more easily and readily wiped off. The ER gets a regular vacuuming as well.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:20 PM   #27
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
All of my engines are always clean and rust free in our boats and autos. I never paint engines either.

Bruce

So Bruce, since you have an engine that is painted Cummins White, will you touch up the paint as needed? I never really thought about it, but my boat came with a can of Cummins White spray paint that I have used on spots as needed.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:27 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Fortunately, I inherited two great 30 year old Perkins 4.236 engines. When I bought the boat, they already had the Perkins patina. Today, they are great 40 year old engines...with a little more patina.

I also clean up after oil changes and I know just about every drip of my engines. As a responsible Perkins owner/operator, I have drip pans and oil diapers to catch and indicate the current oil "flow" patterns.

Early on, I was told that if my Perkins stopped leaking oil then it means they're low on oil. I once removed a start solenoid bracket bolt into the case and oil emerged from the threaded hole. I knew at that moment that there was really no need to chase leaks. In my case, better to catch, observe and address the changes. It works for me, anyway.

Nice to have a modern, new boat, though! I love the everything about it except the price. Until I hit the lottery (which I don't play), I'll enjoy my "comfortably imperfect" trawler, but KUDOS to you for an impeccable ER! I love seeing boats like this and Codger's and so many others here on TF. It helps me keep the dream alive and be thankful for what I have!

Cheers!
Some engines just leak! I've tangled with a few in my life...
Somewhere early in my career I learned to pick my battles but I like the challenge. I remember my first Corvair engine rebuild, done for a customer with some guidance from a friend who was the master of Corvair repair. This was an unusual vehicle for my shop as we specialized in European makes. It was an interesting enough job that I took it.
Those engines just poured oil from a number of places as delivered from the factory and this customer didn't believe we could stop the leaking. I serviced that car for years afterward and it didn't leak a drop after the rebuild. It can be done sometimes!
Thankfully, my boat diesel have all previously been of Japanese manufacture and these were pretty tight in terms of leakage. I expect the Cummins in our Tug to be every bit the modern design it is and not leak. If it does, I will see it immediately and fix it.
Bruce
Old 06-21-2017, 08:34 PM   #29
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
you are so predictable Paul...
Sigh,
Bruce
and why might tbat be?
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:05 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
So Bruce, since you have an engine that is painted Cummins White, will you touch up the paint as needed? I never really thought about it, but my boat came with a can of Cummins White spray paint that I have used on spots as needed.
Dave,
I am referring to the engines you see where people just let rip with a spray can and cover up the underlying mess of rust and neglect.
If I had need of repainting a part, of course I'd paint it.

I have learned that it is typically far easier to maintain something than it is to restore it. I wash and use my WD-40 not only to clean and then preserve but to rid the engine of any salt that has entered the engine room.
That salt is the reason you get rust and rust makes life more difficult later. I find that the time I spend cleaning my engine and engine room is easy time that I enjoy. I get my hands on every inch of everything that I can reach. I inspect, I see and if necessary I repair.
When I am done, I have an engine that looks better than new and that makes me happy.

In spite of some of the dire warnings of doom, my experience is exactly the opposite. When our saildrive input shaft seal began leaking at year 9 of the last boat, it was easy to see where the problem was and everything came apart like the engine was new. The repair was finished in no time. I am sure that most of the engines I have seen in similar year boats that have been treated to more typical oil and filter services would have been more difficult to deal with. Just because of the rust.

I am not suggesting that everyone go out and wash their engine right away either. Before hitting the Cummins with my soap and hose I first called Cummins and then communicated with Tony Athens just to be sure there were no "issues" with harnesses I needed to be aware of on the common rail QSB. Both gave a thumbs up.

The Northern Lights generator in Esmeralde has a new injection pump and injectors under warranty. The new parts are not painted and the original Awlgrip paint used chipped and left hundreds of tiny pieces behind when the parts were changed. When I spoke to the people at a Northern Lights about washing things to clean up the mess, they were concerned about certain parts getting wet. I was very careful to avoid those areas and still got everything cleaned up.
I may paint the new parts in or I may just leave them. As long as they are clean and free of rust (and working properly) I am happy...
Bruce
Old 06-21-2017, 10:24 PM   #31
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
I like having a clean engine and engine room, but can't bring myself to turn a hose on it. When I clean, it's more of a sponge bath.

I agree. There are way too many electrical connections and related equipment in my ER to turn a hose loose. Scary in fact.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 11:23 PM   #32

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Mary A
Vessel Model: Chris-Craft Speedster
Quote:
If you want a clean engine, just wipe it down. These things are not furniture. More important that the machine is in good condition and less that it is spotless.
Padeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 05:56 AM   #33
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Part of my long standing engine maintenance routine is to wash the engine and entire engine room after an oil change. I always clean up any spilled oil first.

Oil spill during oil change?

-Chris
Old 06-22-2017, 08:56 AM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Oil spill during oil change?

-Chris
Inevitably!
Usually it is a side mounted oil filter that gets me. I use a baggie but it isn't a perfect solution...
Bruce
Old 06-22-2017, 09:10 AM   #35
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Inevitably!

Usually it is a side mounted oil filter that gets me. I use a baggie but it isn't a perfect solution...

Bruce

That is one thing that you will love, not having to change a horizontally mounted oil filter that is in a hard to reach, awkward position.

My sailboat has a 56hp diesel with relatively easy access for a sailboat. It is so much easier and faster to change the oil and filters on my 380hp Cummins!

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 10:07 AM   #36
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Wash your dog or car but not your boat engine.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 10:59 AM   #37

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Name: Wataworld
Vessel Model: Defever 44+5
Engine cleanup

Bruce I commend your efforts and success in cleaning the exterior of your engine and room! But what about the interior do you fresh water wash the exhaust system? Do you use some kind of injector cleaner? ETC
Gregg
Wataworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 11:31 AM   #38
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Bruce - So SHINEY...

Had to put sunglasses on!!

Boats and girlfriends have similarities... i.e., we like to spend time shining both when new!

After that we just help em stay fairly clean... making sure both they and we can function well together - lol.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 11:50 AM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wataworld View Post
Bruce I commend your efforts and success in cleaning the exterior of your engine and room! But what about the interior do you fresh water wash the exhaust system? Do you use some kind of injector cleaner? ETC
Gregg
I am not an additive kind of guy typically. I did use a biocide on the sailboat. Not sure if I will on this boat or not.
I will perform the service suggested by Seaboard Marine on my aftercooler next as it makes perfect sense but while we are using the boat, no fresh water flush.
I certainly will flush if the boat is going to sit though.
Bruce