Old 07-30-2017, 11:33 AM   #1
Guru

City: Cowiche, WA
Tractor parts for Ford Lehmans

This past week we were out cruising in the San Juan Islands of Washington and our starboard engine failed to start. Pushing the start button elicited no sound whatsoever. So...problem solving began. I tested the battery for low voltage-12.4, not the problem, tested the starter switch, not the problem, checked the wiring for breaks-nada, removed the ground wires and cleaned all contacts-nope. Then I tried jumping the solenoid as per photo instructions in Nigel Calder's book, bad choice as I touched a wrong terminal and smoked the solenoid compounding my problem. Then I called a nearby marina on Lopez Island to see if they could said sure, come on in. So we motored on one engine after I locked down the starboard shaft. Spent the night and got up to go talk with the next morning and was told they really don't think they could help diagnose the problem. �� Went back to the boat and decided to motor back to Anacortes where there are more resources. I went to Cap Sante Marine to try and find a new solenoid and they located one out of Bellingham. A friend in Bellingham drove the part to us, I installed it and still nothing. Talking with Allan in parts at Cap Sante it seemed to point to the starter being bad. The engine was not seized because I could still turn it with a wrench easily. He was going to call around for a starter. I called Brian at American Diesel and he thought it might be the starter as well. I asked about using a Ford tractor starter and he said would be fine and did not need to worry about marinerization for that part. So I called a New Holland tractor dealer in Mt Vernon and lucked into talking with the regional parts manager who happened to be there. He was very knowledgeable about Lehman engines and thought they had a new starter in stock. Two calls later he said he was driving it out to me. The new one was $200.00, marine parts departments I called could source them for $485 to $505.00. Dave at Brim tractors in Mt Vernon was the best in service, price and knowledge. He arrived with the starter and 15 minutes later my engine was running again!

So the moral of this story is some parts for the Ford Lehman engines do not have to be marine parts. Careful consideration can save hundreds of dollars!
http://www.brimtractor.com

Tractor dealers make field deliveries all the time so coming to a boat was easy for them. I remember taking the FL class from Bob Smith and he recommended sourcing parts from tractor dealers to. New Holland bought out Ford tractors so that is why I called a New Holland dealer.
kolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 02:20 PM   #2
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Shalloway
Vessel Model: Defever 44, twin Perkins
This is great to know. My one question is how do I identify my engine to a tractor dealer? Ford Dover diesel?(I have a 135)

As an aside another resource would be an "Auto Electric" repair shop. I took one of my starters to one and a complete rebuild (solenoid, brushes, starter drive, bearings, cleaning and testing) was $150. To rebuild one of my alternators was $100.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:43 PM   #3
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Good to know Keith,
And there are lots of Perkins engines in trawlers. And those engines have lots of parts available at Massey Ferguson Tractor outlets. There's one near us in the Burlington/Mt Vernon area.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:55 PM   #4
Guru

kchace,

The man I spoke with, Dave, the regional parts guy knows the difference. We talked about the "English built" Lehman engines like Yours and another Dagemeister (sp) and my 120. He has 35 years experience in this business, so I think there are people out there that know how and where to cross reference these. Worth a call or stopping by to check.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:11 AM   #5

City: Anacortes
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: Shin Shing, Eagle 35'
I've dealt with the crew at Cap Sante Marine for several years, they are a great bunch of folks.
Jbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:38 AM   #6
Guru

City: kemah
The best tractor part for a lehmans is a cummins.

what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:06 AM   #7
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Old 08-08-2017, 11:04 AM   #8
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
Industrial Engines, Annacis Island BC
Old 10-18-2017, 02:46 PM   #9
Veteran Member

City: Staten Island
Vessel Name: Sababa
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Marine Trader
Kolive, would you have a model number for tractor equivalent for the fl120? I found an iskra part 1158 on Amazon , which is by far cheapest. Advice?
cyfarkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:04 PM   #10
Guru

cyfarkas, I am sorry, but I do not have that number.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:01 PM   #11
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Good to know Keith,
And there are lots of Perkins engines in trawlers. And those engines have lots of parts available at Massey Ferguson Tractor outlets. There's one near us in the Burlington/Mt Vernon area.
Hi Eric, Yes you are correct, however there is a cavat. Be Sure to insure that in fact you are receiving the same part. Case in point. You will recall I recently posted a fuel distribution pump issue where I purchased a Massey Ferguson pump. Upon installation we are able to obtain a 2100 RPM WOT where the pump replaced gave a 2800 RPM WOT. In viewing the nomenclature plate it was discovered that the pump is factory set and so stated, at 2200 RPM. I called the Massey Ferguson parts provider who stated that was the Massey Ferguson design for the pump and no, there is not one rated for 2800 RPM.
We have not done anything about it, as the engine is performing fine with the lesser RPM rated pump. We have a mental personal working WOT stop of 1700 RPM leaving a margin of 400 RPM. We rarely exceed 1650 RPM as the desired hull speed of near 7 knots is achieved.

Regards,
Al-Ketchikan
Al is offline   Reply With Quote