What oil filter for 1989 Cummins 6bta 5.9m

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LenBuchanan

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Feath (fee-a) Gaelic for Calm, Tranquil
Vessel Make
1989 Jefferson 37 Sundeck
Hi all,
This may seem like a strange question, but I'm looking for the correct oil filter for my Cummins diesels. The engines have been retrofitted with a Racor Liquid Filtration System, which uses a mesh screen to 'filter' the oil. It is fitted to where an oil filter normally would thread on and is mounted on the side of the engine. It is a pain and a mess to remove the top of the system, remove the screen, clean the screen, then put it back together.

I will be getting rid of this system and wondering if anyone else has these engines and what filter you use.

I am leaning toward he Fleetguard lf-3959.

Thanks.

Cummins oil filter ph3976a
Fuel napa 3358
My engine is a 1989 6BT5.9M 210 HP

Should be lf3959 unless someone changes the engine mounting.

As a quickie ... not that TF isn't a good place to get advice ... for all my Cummins questions, I go to Seaboard Marine's site ... a place focused on marine engines.
https://www.sbmar.com/community/

I have the same engines and year and have used NAPA 1607, which is the same number as on the popular Dodge pickup truck using the Cummins engine. As to brand, Wix (which is also NAPA), Baldwin, Luberfiner, or Fleetguard (Cummins OEM) are all well respected brands in use by commercial fleets.

Daniel

'89 Tradewinds 43'

There are several Fleetguard oil filter numbers that will work. Many have different filter media materials.

Thanks to all that replied. I completely forgot about sbmar.com

Back
Top Bottom