What the heck am I doing wrong

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Farandaway

Veteran Member
I tried taking off the water pump pulley and the harmonic balancer and all they did was spin around. What am I doing wrong?? Loosened the bolts on both and all they did was spin. What’s the solution to getting them off? They’re bad and need to go.

What make and model engine?

Ted

Here they are

Removed all the bolts and both just spun around.

Attachments

• 5CEDDF17-E426-4C3B-A45C-5921EB77FC7E.jpg
    5CEDDF17-E426-4C3B-A45C-5921EB77FC7E.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 18773732-416D-4096-B069-FAC15B1AC5AB.jpg
    18773732-416D-4096-B069-FAC15B1AC5AB.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 53
A good hammer will do the job.
Just rust that is holding them in place.
good luck,

Also, take the V belt off first.

Is the problem you can't stop the pulley from spinning or the bolts are just spinning in the pulley and not backing out?

Leave the belt on to loosen the water pump screws. Put a wrench on and when loosening. put some tension on the slack side of the belt with your other hand. Screws should loosen before engine turns.

Crank pulley screws: Assuming you are taking just the pulley off (three screws), can use the impact method. Crank has a flywheel on other end and will resist a quick acceleration. Put wrench on and hit handle with a hammer. Works for me.

If you are pulling the whole damper (center screw) you still need to get the three screws out and use a puller.

Can’t stop the pulley from spinning on the water pump pulley. When I turn the bolts the pulley spins. On the crankshaft pulley the bolts came off but the pulley wouldn’t.

Thanks. Makes sense. I’m not trying to take off the whole dampener, just the pulley.

Removed all the bolts and both just spun around.

Is this the before or after pic? An electric impact wrench and appropriate sockets makes removing bolts on free-turning pulleys easy.

Alternatively, break them free while the v-belt is still installed and tensioned, use something to put pressure on the belt it to keep them from turning.

This is the before pic. I had the 3 bolts off the crank pulley but when trying to take the center bolt off the pulley just spun. I never could get the bolts off the water pulley. Every time I put a socket wrench in it the whole pulley moved.

The center bolt on the crank holds the balancer to the crank, not the pulley to the balancer. So it doesn't need to come out to get the pulley off.

Were you humming at the proper harmonic vibration, if you don't do this, harmonic balancers can be a problem.

This is the before pic. I had the 3 bolts off the crank pulley but when trying to take the center bolt off the pulley just spun. I never could get the bolts off the water pulley. Every time I put a socket wrench in it the whole pulley moved.

Are you replacing the belts? If so, you can use an old belt to stop it turning. Put it around the pulley, then stick a 2x4 board through the other end and twist it around and around until it's tight on the pulley and orienting it in such a way that you can jam it against something to keep it from turning while you loosen up the bolts.

Alternatively a good quality cordless impact will remove them in seconds, but that's an expensive tool to acquire.

Have had much too much experience removing the two pulleys on a 454. The best tool is an impact driver or wrench. Works every time! Alternative is to wedge and hold a flat bar across two of the bolts to keep pulley from turning and then use the ratchet. Tightening the belt may also help prevent turning.

As to the lower pulley, you may need to remove the crank bolt. Some have a washer that is larger than the center of the pulley. A light tapping on the edge with a dead blow hammer might free the pulley if rusted in place.

That two groove pulley is a hanger on from an automotive installation. In a car it would have a fan bolted to it. If you can get the bolts out, rap it with a hammer. If the bolts don't want to come out use an air or electric impact drill. If the bottom one is connected to the balancer and the bolts come out, just use a hammer.

pete

Back
Top Bottom