What Brand of Engine Mounts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So what kind of engine mounts does your dog use Marin?
A doggone good mount I'm sure.

On our PNW cabin cruiser he uses what Tri County Diesel installed on our engines back in the mid-2000s. He was just a puppy then but even then he knew who to listen to for credible advice.

As an engineer with a lot of boat design/manufacturing experience under your belt, Eric, an aside to this topic you might be interested in is what seems to be a fairly rudimentary design error on the part of the fairly reputable manufacturer of our boat.

The mounts in our boat are actually slightly under-rated for the weight of the engines because of the lack of clearance between the top of the engines and the underside of the cabin sole beams. Mounts rated for this particular engine weight put it too high and would require fabricating custom replacement mounts for the engines or modifying all the stringers, both fairly expensive options. So my dog (and I and the head of engineering at Northern Lights/Lugger) opted for the easy out which was the slightly smaller mounts.

The mounts that were on our engines when we bought this 1973 boat in 1998 were the originals, and they were slightly undersized, too, for the same reason.

Single engine 36's from the original 1973 molds don't have this situation. And I assume that the twin 36's made with the molds that replaced the originals in 1988 don't have this issue, either, as the new molds made the boats taller.

So I guess someone at American Marine mis-read their slide rule way back when.:)

Last edited:
Oh, no, you don't want that. My dog is absolutely ruthless when it comes to telling people exactly what he thinks of them. Which, for the most part, isn't much. He'd have you in tears by the time he got done with you. I'm Mr. Tactful compared to him. You should read some of the stuff he posts to OTDE.

So I guess I was right then.

So I guess I was right then.

Yeah. Albi's more intellectually honest than I am but that kind of honesty from him is not what you'd particularly want. He will tell you exactly what he thinks of you in no uncertain terms, where I tend to tone it down a little. He just turned 12 on Dec. 2 which is getting up there for this breed and he probably figures at this point life's too short to pussy-foot around people's feelings. So he doesn't.

Yeah. Albi's more intellectually honest than I am but that kind of honesty from him is not what you'd particularly want. He will tell you exactly what he thinks of you in no uncertain terms, where I tend to tone it down a little. He just turned 12 on Dec. 2 which is getting up there for this breed and he probably figures at this point life's too short to pussy-foot around people's feelings. So he doesn't.

Tell him happy birthday and a Merry Christmas for me. And/or Happy Hanukkah!

And he's free to talk to (bark at?) me any time.

Tell him happy birthday and a Merry Christmas for me. And/or Happy Hanukkah!

And he's free to talk to (bark at?) me any time.

I'll let him know. He (or at least his breed) originated in Nova Scotia so Hanukkah doesn't really enter into it.:)

And have a great Christmas and New Years yourself.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom