Old 05-13-2018, 06:55 AM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Hervey Bay QLD
Vessel Name: Moana
Vessel Model: 1996 M40 Riviera aft cab
The boat I had to do the loop, a 38ft Marine Trader was single screw but came with bow and stern thrusters, I am an ex commercial Skipper, but as my wife and I are in our 70s found they took all the stress away from docking in many weird and wonderful Marinas, and in all weather. What did I do on arriving back in Australia, yes now have a bow Thruster. No I didn't really need it, but on those windy days with my wife on the lines its dead easy. Just make sure it has enough power to do the job when you need it.

auskiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 07:00 AM   #22
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Rambler View Post
The only thing I would insist on is to take a size (or two) larger than they recommend for you length of boat.
I totally agree with your recommendation. My N46 and I almost ended almost ended up on the rocks because of an under powered bow thruster. Next stop, boat yard.... triple the HP of the bow thruster, twin props, never had another problem.
It is the thrust not necessarily how long you can run the thrusters.

Old 05-13-2018, 07:34 AM   #23
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Personally I see the twin props as kind of a gimmick when you consider how they interact. And one more thing to complicate the system. My single prop Vetus did just fine. You do need to make sure the prop or props are kept clean.

I definitely believe that the thruster should have its own battery bank installed nearby with ideally with its own charger. I enjoyed that set up on my old Hatteras 56MY courtesy of a PO. It never occurred to me that a hydraulic system would be needed, and it adds a whole lot more expense and complication. We had Naiads as well. I once asked an excellent tech and he said the pump would not work a davit, so I suppose not thruster either. But a boatyard that does these things could evaluate your particular system, I can only speak for my boat. You should have the stabilizers centered during docking, and that uses the pump.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 03:14 PM   #24

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Aquarius
Vessel Model: Californian 55 CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Personally I see the twin props as kind of a gimmick when you consider how they interact. And one more thing to complicate the system. My single prop Vetus did just fine. You do need to make sure the prop or props are kept clean.

I definitely believe that the thruster should have its own battery bank installed nearby with ideally with its own charger. I enjoyed that set up on my old Hatteras 56MY courtesy of a PO. It never occurred to me that a hydraulic system would be needed, and it adds a whole lot more expense and complication. We had Naiads as well. I once asked an excellent tech and he said the pump would not work a davit, so I suppose not thruster either. But a boatyard that does these things could evaluate your particular system, I can only speak for my boat. You should have the stabilizers centered during docking, and that uses the pump.

Don't the Naiads center when inactive?
Old 05-13-2018, 03:23 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyD View Post
Don't the Naiads center when inactive?
Nope. they don't.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
Old 05-13-2018, 06:19 PM   #26
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
I have had a Vetus bow thruster on a 34 Mainship MK1 and a Bennett hydraulic stern thruster on our 38 Present.
Both were/are great. My preference, especially on a big boat like yours would be to have a hydraulic system. A 12 volt stand alone power pack to power it, placed out of the way, independent of the engines(s) or even 120 volt power pack would be fine too. Just start the genset when coming or going. I never seen or heard of this set up but I have to watch my engine RPM and I have twin V belts coming off my main that is a PITA in the ER.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 06:42 PM   #27

City: Camarillo
Thumbs up Bow & stern Thruster

WESMAR is what I have -- had it 20 years - works flawlessly.

24 volt - 13 HP.

Dual prop.

Works great & lasts a long time..

Also a 26 HP is available and it is 48 volt.

Alfa Mike
alfamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 07:33 PM   #28

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Aquarius
Vessel Model: Californian 55 CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Nope. they don't.
George, this will be my first stabilized boat. Do the fins align themselves under power if they are not energized? Then you just have to be careful at slow speeds or do you have to run them energized all of the time? I don't want to fight them when I don't think I need them.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:52 PM   #29
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
I put a dedicated battery at my stern thruster and have a separate battery charger just for it. When I install a bow thruster it will also have a seperate battery and charger. Worst case if the thruster battery goes down all I loose it that thruster, not the house or engine batteries.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:51 AM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyD View Post
George, this will be my first stabilized boat. Do the fins align themselves under power if they are not energized? Then you just have to be careful at slow speeds or do you have to run them energized all of the time? I don't want to fight them when I don't think I need them.
The fins should be "On" all the time when underway and on "Center" during close quarters maneuvering, especially reverse. "Off" would be used rarely, if ever.

Old 05-14-2018, 10:53 AM   #31

City: Lutz
I'm thinking for my 1982 MT DC single 120 hp that I want to install a Lewmar 92lb thrust 12 volt and power it from the Lewmar windlass cables all ready up there in the bow. Will have a fixed control at salon steering station and a remote for the Flybridge station, The rudder from PO s has been extended 3 inches on aft edge and I want to add a 1inch X 4 inch long fishtail on each side of rudder end aft with type 316 ss angles and a level 316 ss 3/8 thick X 6 inch wide plate welded top and bottom to the rudder. I realize that the plates need precise alignment. Comments please.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 01:04 PM   #32

City: Buffalo
Vessel Name: Almost Perfect
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 48
Our Sidepower stern thruster sheared a key where the main bevel gear is attached to the shaft that goes thru the transom to the elec. motor. The boat had to be removed from the water and the thruster gearbox completely disassembled to fix it. There was too much torque for the size of the key, and machining a bigger keyway was not an option. I consider this to be a design flaw. Either the shaft should be bigger, or there should be a spline.

Except for that, our Sidepower bow and stern thrusters have worked well. They are each powered by 2 8D AGM deep cycle batteries in series for 24V. (The rest of the boat is 12V) They are charged by a dedicated 24V charger, so the batteries get charged only when we are on shore power, or when the generator is running. We often use both thrusters at the same time, in the same direction to slide sideways, or in opposite directions to spin on the spot. We have never run out of battery power.

Although I have no experience with hydraulic thrusters, I often wonder how well they work, since the engine is always idling when the thrusters are needed. I once toured a boat where the thruster hydraulic pump was attached to the generator. This solved the low idle RPM problem, but the generator had to be running to use the thrusters.

Our previous boat (a 36ft trawler) had a 12V bow thruster run off the house batteries. That arrangement worked well too.
Rossland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 11:42 PM   #33
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Sea Bear
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
+1 on a sidepower 24v system, that’s what my stern Thruster is and I love it! I’ve run it for minutes at a time with no issues. I think the wire run size and length is important. It has a totally separate charging system and battery bank.
On using the same pump I know very little about hydraulics but I have separate pumps for my bow Thruster and stabilizers, they are very different sized and the bow Thruster is on an electronic clutch, you can really feel it when it is on, I’d not want that running all the time....

Arthurc is offline   Reply With Quote