Wet exhaust hose differences on FL120

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TJM

Vessel Name
Harmony
Vessel Make
1982 41' President
I am changing my FL120 exhaust elbows and having a hard time removing the hose from the old 30 yr old one. As I go thru my engine I have updated most of the hoses trying to get away from the black. Not sure why, but I like it to look new and clean, lol.
Is there a big difference in the 250 or 252 Wet exhaust hoses ?
Basically rubber based or silicone based ?
Do they need to be USCG approved or J2006 ?
They say the Silicone lasts longer and reduces the external heat transfer to the engine room.
Is it worth it ?

Check with the hose manufacturer. I like Silicone hose, but it often requires different clamps to avoid damaging it.

What you have lasted 30 years. Do you really need a new hose that lasts longer?

Sorry, the 30 yrs was an assumption on my part. I have only owned the boat for 8 yrs and do not have the records from the PO.
I am aware of the different hose clamps required. The PO just used regular hose clamps on the current hose, which I believe is NOT in compliance with USCG regs. The hose must be secured with the Tee type clamp.

To install or remove just about any flexible hose from a fitting, from a small gas line to a crusty old stiff three inch exhaust line. Simply add heat from a heat gun.

pete

On our last boat when I was pulling the engines I knew that I would be replacing the exhaust hoses I just cut them in the middle with a reciprocating saw. Then each end was much easier to get off when it wasn’t attached to anything.

Sorry, the 30 yrs was an assumption on my part. I have only owned the boat for 8 yrs and do not have the records from the PO.
I am aware of the different hose clamps required. The PO just used regular hose clamps on the current hose, which I believe is NOT in compliance with USCG regs. The hose must be secured with the Tee type clamp.
Experts, is it fact that the clamps must be Tee-type clamps? That was not a survey item when we purchased seven years ago.

What I was getting at was, if your existing hoses lasted thirty years, I would think any approved hose would last as long. In any case, if it were I, I would use a good, not necessarily "best", approved hose.

Yes get a hose pick. They make hose removal really easy.

I've only used regular hose clamps (good ones).

ABYC

P-01, 1.7.1.5 - Hose used in wet exhaust systems shall comply with the performance requirements of SAE J2006, Marine Exhaust Hose or UL1129, Standard for Wet Exhaust Components for Marine Engines. All other exhaust system components shall meet the performance requirements of UL 1129, Standard for Wet Exhaust Components for Marine Engines

P-01, 1.7.1.10.1 - Every exhaust hose connection shall be secured with at least two non-overlapping clamps at each end to produce a secure, liquid and vapor tight joint.

P-01, 1.7.1.10.2 - Clamps used for this purpose shall be made entirely of stainless steel metal. The bands shall be a minimum of 0.5 inches in width.

There is also a requirement to have the wet exhaust system fitted with service drains for any components that can hold water and an indicator is required that indicates loss of cooling water in wet exhaust systems at all helm stations.

I'm curious how many of our boats meet all of these requirements? I know mine is not equipped with drains, but the rest is covered.

There is no requirement for a Tee-type clamp as far as AYBC is concerned, just an all stainless clamp with a band at least 1/2" wide.

As for USCG regulations, I don't know what those would be unless the vessel is inspected and then I still don't know what the regulations might be in that situation.

Mine lacks drains and alarms, but the rest is covered. However, I have 2 stage water lift mufflers. They're normally pretty quiet, but a loss of water flow comes with a huge increase in exhaust noise.

The Trident 250 series is for small bends where the 252 is for tight bends. The 250 has less wire where the 252 has more to keep it from crimping.

Back
Top Bottom