Old 12-10-2019, 12:50 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Jacksonville, Fl.
Vessel Name: Henrietta
Vessel Model: Present 42 Sundeck
Westerbeke WMD 8 problem

Hello all,

I have a Westerbeke WMD 8 generator which I have done an upper end rebuild on. The rebuild of the head and fuel injection pump as well as servicing of the fuel injectors was done by a local diesel shop. The rest of the work was done by me. I mention that because I have never attempted this before.
The problem I am having is with the tie rod and fuel rack assembly. When the fuel solenoid is energized it pulls on the speed control lever which turns the governor shaft and lever and pushes the tie rod into the fuel rack and puts it in the idle speed position. When the fuel solenoid is deenergized the speed control lever moves back to the off position but the tie rod stays in the idle speed position. I disconnected the tie rod from the fuel rack in case it was causing some resistance but there was no change. I removed the timing cover and moved the speed control lever back and forth and the tie rod moved back and forth with it. I reassembled the timing cover and the tie rod only moves in one direction.
I don't understand why the governor shaft will only move the assembly in one direction.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

I have attached a link to a video of what I am seeing.

https://youtu.be/fL_bs5Tyqao
gulfstar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 06:53 PM   #2
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
I rebuilt my Westerbeke 8.0 a little over a year ago and had a shop do the IJ pump and injectors. I do not remember exactly how the linkage in your video was connected or that it resembles your governor. I downloaded a manual and will check it for information and share anything I find.
Old 12-15-2019, 07:04 PM   #3
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2420.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	97565Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2419.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	97566

This is from the Mitsubishi manual I hope it helps. If you need more pages let me know.
Old 12-15-2019, 09:24 PM   #4
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Might be normal. With engine spinning, the governor flyweights will pull the lever fwd for shutdown.

Have you tried running the thing? Try it and if gov does not work keep that cover off so you can shove rack fwd for shutdown.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member

City: Jacksonville, Fl.
Vessel Name: Henrietta
Vessel Model: Present 42 Sundeck
Thank you both for your replies.
It turns out that the flyweights on the governor will shut the generator off when the generator lever and tie rod are released. I tested it manually a couple of times with the tie rod cover off and then reassembled with the fuel solenoid connected. It is starting and stopping normally.
Next step will be to check output voltage and frequency.

Thanks again.
gulfstar1 is offline   Reply With Quote