Westerbeke 4 Cylinder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CPseudonym

Moderator Emeritus
Doing a little research on a boat that interests us. It is a 1988 year model that lists a 100 HP Westerbeke 4 cylinder as the main engine. I assume it is original equipment.

Aside from gold plated parts and get an engine survey is there any words of wisdom to be gleaned? 2300 hours seems right so am interested if anyone on the forum has a similar engine for their prime mover?

Here is the only photo of it in the ad.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1406673514.500695.jpg

Boat is a 40' Pilgrim if that helps, guessing around 30,000 lbs loaded.

The engine in the photo and the engine in most Pilgrim 40 boats is a Westerbeke W-100 a 6 cylinder non-turbo motor. Parts are available, but it is a Westerbeke so a price surprise is always possible. I have seen a Pilgrim with 9500 hours on the original motor still operating well. I have a P-40 and this is a great motor for the boat. Quiet, smooth, 1.5 gal. Hr. fuel burn at 7kts. I run it at 1,750 RPM and it purrs. Max speed is about 8-8.5.

Last edited:
Are you sure it is a 100hp four? I know they sold a 100hp six based on a mitsubishi or nissan six car engine, but that would be a BIG four.

Usually you can get around the parts issue somehow..

Thanks Billy.

That's what the ad said Ski, I think it may be a misprint but felt I'd pose the question as advertised because I've been wrong before.

Tootsie is a pretty nice boat, so is Bryte Star. Big price difference...A fly bridge is nice, but the pilothouse station is really a great place to con the boat from. Both are late model boats with the raised forward stateroom and the late model pilothouse doors that swing open and have a dutch door feature.

Bow AND stern thrusters on Tootsie!

CP
I'm also a big fan of the Pilgrim 40 . Ski is right about the parts ,he just saved me a bunch last week on buying a fresh water pump that I thought had to be Westerbeke . I bought a fuel shut off solenoid about three weeks ago and I'm sure I could have saved some money if I would have looked somewhere else besides Westerbeke.

So what I'm gathering so far then is Westerbeke is the marinization (is that a word?) company much like Osco provided the marinization parts for my small block Chevy. The base motor for the Westerbeke would likely be a Nissan or Mitsubishi depending upon model numbers?

As this is a 100 hp I'm likely looking (pic in post #1) at a front on shot of an inline 6 cylinder rather than 4 cylinder diesel. I'll call the local tractor shops tomorrow and check for local availability for Nissan and Mitsubishi inline 6 parts of that vintage and go from there.

Thanks guys, Craig

The base 44hp Westerbeke 4cyl engine is the same as mine. An S4L2 Mitsubishi of 107 cu in. Many many parts for this engine can be purchased from Mitsubishi. Or from tractor outlets that have equipment employing the S4L2. And if you have a Westerbeke you probably could put a steel exhaust manifold made by ??? For MER and Klassen engines. I think M and K use the same source. They may make that manifold for other engines as well. I'm sure they make the steel manifolds for 6cyl Isuzu's.

The steel manifolds are made from extremely rust resistant steel. Somewhat like cupronickel.

CPseudonym,

Here is a link to a Westerbeke W-100 brochure. It is definitely a 6-cylinder diesel.

And here is a link to the Operator's Manual. :thumb:

Larry
M/V Boomarang

Jogging memory further, it might be a Mazda six car engine. Whatever it is, probably good quality machine. A few annoying bits, otherwise good stuff.

Curiously,Mazda 6 sold here, comes with a 4 cyl engine, choice of gas(2.5L) or diesel(2.2L). I don`t doubt they make a range of diesel engines, there could be a 6cyl.

Craig,I just found this post.Thanks for buying me a boat for your birthday. :rofl:

Craig,I just found this post.Thanks for buying me a boat for your birthday. :rofl:

Lol. Not quite Ben.

To follow up for the sake of the thread the local tractor dealers can supply parts for these diesel engines without the Westerbeke gold plating.

Then the cheapskate in charge of finances reared his ugly head and reminded my wife that our finances are not exactly gold plated right now either. In exchange for freedom from the doghouse that put him in, said cheapskate agreed to buy his wife any 2014 Toyota she wanted for his birthday. We are both happy with the outcome and my beloved Owens has no fear of leaving me anytime soon.

Lol. Not quite Ben.

To follow up for the sake of the thread the local tractor dealers can supply parts for these diesel engines without the Westerbeke gold plating.

Then the cheapskate in charge of finances reared his ugly head and reminded my wife that our finances are not exactly gold plated right now either. In exchange for freedom from the doghouse that put him in, said cheapskate agreed to buy his wife any 2014 Toyota she wanted for his birthday. We are both happy with the outcome and my beloved Owens has no fear of leaving me anytime soon.

Well darn.I tried. :rofl:

The mistress of finances has a go at me sometimes as well.

Craig, I guess I'm going to be the one sticking out like a sore thumb on this thread. Been there, done that...so no worries.

If ("if" is the operative word) the engine is in fact a naturally aspirated 6 cylinder Mitsubishi/Chrysler power plant, I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. These engines were briefly used in Bayliner motoryachts during the 1980's and have been proven to not only be poor performers but a major hassle with respect to finding parts. When they break down, they break down expensive!

Blue Ridge Diesel is a good parts resource for that engine.

There have been various known problems with the cooling system on the marinized version, primarily with respect to the design of the manifold/manicooler design and the inadequate raw water pump. Check the Bayliner Owners Club forum for some horror stories about this engine.

Last edited:
Westerbeke 100 hp 4?

Are you sure it is a 100hp four? I know they sold a 100hp six based on a mitsubishi or nissan six car engine, but that would be a BIG four.

Usually you can get around the parts issue somehow..

I think the largest Westerbeke made in a four was 90 hp. There is a 108 hp but it is a six.

The engine in a Pilgrim 40 is a Westerbeke W-100. It is a 6 cylinder non-turbo motor based on a Nissan bus engine rated at 100 HP.

So what I'm gathering so far then is Westerbeke is the marinization (is that a word?) company much like Osco Thanks guys, Craig

Add to the list of marinizers, in some cases, of other's engines:

Lugger
NL
Yanmar
Cat
Kohler
Lehman
Onan
Volvo
Crusader

and more

Back