Westerbeke 100 valve collets needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PMF1984

Guru
Vessel Name
Wanderer
Vessel Make
Pilgrim 40
Hi there,

I took off my head to replace the head gasket and decided to take the head in for inspection. Good thing too as the guides wear worn enough to warrant replacement. Thing is, the shop does not have the valve collets now that I have assembled the other needed part.

This is Westerbeke part 24429, or Mazda #636-12-123.

I have searched through Westerbeke and on the web for this part and have received "part not available."

Any leads for new or used valve collets?

John

Cannot help with the parts.
this may be a silly question but
have you tried Mazda themselves, a good parts guy or the service mgr.?
Either a dealer or the main distributor for the area.

Hi there,

I took off my head to replace the head gasket and decided to take the head in for inspection. Good thing too as the guides wear worn enough to warrant replacement. Thing is, the shop does not have the valve collets now that I have assembled the other needed part.

This is Westerbeke part 24429, or Mazda #636-12-123.

I have searched through Westerbeke and on the web for this part and have received "part not available."

Any leads for new or used valve collets?

John

John,

Toad Marine Supply shows to have them in stock for $10.90 each. Horrific price, but that seems to be the way it goes in Westerbeke land.

https://shop.toadmarinesupply.com/ships_store/index.php?p=details&mfc=Westerbeke&sku=24429

Good luck:thumb:

C lectric, This Engine was not sold in the US. The Mazda ZB was in Ford Traders in Great Britain, a Isuzu (I think) bus in Chile, but mostly as the driver for the Mazda T4100 truck which sold through the Far East. I bought a replacement aftermarket fresh water pump, valve guides, and upper gasket set from a supplier in Australia. You were once able to view the parts schematics online at an Australian site, but that was in 2015. Remember This engine is 30 years old. You can still get a crankcase, bearing sets and rings. I guess the collets are available because they don’t really wear out. Also checked at a site in UAE. The American Mazda Dealers don’t have access to the T4100 parts. Any many are aftermarket.

LarryM I checked with the Westerbeke mothership in Taunton Massachusetts to find they were not available. Not surprising, as they are not the manufacturer, and no one else in the world has them either. As to price, if you have to spend 2 days doing internet searches to cut the price by 70% is that a good deal/use of time or not? I’m not paying someone at a boatyard to search for me, so my time is “not worth anything” but the 10 bucks would have been a bargain. I just got a new fuel filter assembly from them. Yes it was costly, but it took 5 minutes to buy and was here within a week. I usually bypass Westerbeke when the delivery window is too big for me. The water pump I bought from Australia was because the rebuild parts for my pump were 8-12 weeks back order.

So I was pretty desperate about this collet thing as not having a valve keeper that cost less than a penny to make was going to cost me 30,000 grand plus for a new engine. I called the machine shop to find out if they had lost all of them or had a couple that I could have copied. Expensive but necessary.

I talked to the shop foreman “oh,” he said, “No I have them all, I just told you to get some in case one gets dropped or something.”

My wife says bad communication, the three ruined days of angst and searching the world for an engine part are my fault.

I say, “alls well that ends well.”

Very fortunate!
Reminds me of the time I left the car to have the leaking (imported laminated) windscreen resealed. Guy rang saying it needed to be fully removed and refitted, and they would not accept liability to replace it if they broke it. My immediate response was: "Have you already broken it?" They had not, and all went well.

So I was pretty desperate about this collet thing as not having a valve keeper that cost less than a penny to make was going to cost me 30,000 grand plus for a new engine. I called the machine shop to find out if they had lost all of them or had a couple that I could have copied. Expensive but necessary.

I talked to the shop foreman “oh,” he said, “No I have them all, I just told you to get some in case one gets dropped or something.”

That's great news.

With the rapid development of inexpensive 3D laser scanners and 3D printing/CNC machining that's going on today, I predict that in my lifetime I will see the day when as long as you have one collet to scan, someone will be able to manufacture a bag full of them for very little money and almost no hands-on labor required. I think that's awesome.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom