Old 06-26-2017, 11:49 PM   #41
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Thanks. I get just a little sick every time I think about it. <sigh>
I hope it comes good soon. You`ve had more than your fair share of trouble with the engine.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 05:41 AM   #42
FF
Guru

Folks that wonder what is mixed in with their lube oil should take a paper towel , pull the dip stick and look at the circle of dark oil as it grows.

When diesel is mixed with lube oil a wet almost clear ring will expand from the darker lube oil.

Old trick for DD folks that suddenly find there engine is "making" oil.

Water mixed with lube oil will usually present as white foam mixture.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:13 AM   #43
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78puget-trawler View Post
Afraid I don't grasp how a remote charger would make the engine run rough. Once its started it doesn't need anything but fuel and air.
Exactly. It sounds like there was fuel leaking badly into the oil for sure, and the rough running was more likely due to issues with the fuel distribution related to that, one might suspect, but the charger should not be in any direct connection with the engine, even if it's an electronically controlled engine, as you say.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:25 AM   #44
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Dave

Why were injectors and injction and or lift pump replaced?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:34 AM   #45
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Exactly. It sounds like there was fuel leaking badly into the oil for sure, and the rough running was more likely due to issues with the fuel distribution related to that, one might suspect, but the charger should not be in any direct connection with the engine, even if it's an electronically controlled engine, as you say.
I believe that there were a series of Cummins QSB engines produced with electronic control modules were sensitive to RF interference. I know that Balmar is aware of the issue as when we were deciding on equipment for our current boat I had a long talk with one of their engineers on the subject.
He essentially admitted that the issue was in the Balmar equipment and warned me to check with Cummins before adapting any to the boat.
When I asked Cummins, they too were aware of the issue but promised that current production engines utilized better shielding so that there would be no issues.
Remember the injector on a common rail engine is controlled solely the electronic control module. If anything is "upsetting it" all bets are off. This is what Dave ran into.
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:53 AM   #46
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Thanks, but not really. I just managed to not completely screw up and was fortunate.

In retrospect, I think I should have dropped the anchor sooner. I should have dropped the anchor at 50-60'. I knew the shore was very steep. I waited until I had about 26' of water which put me too close to shore.
Good job on keeping your cool.
You already know what you could have done slightly better, but

All's Well that Ends Well.

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:49 AM   #47
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Dave

Why were injectors and injction and or lift pump replaced?
The Duo Charge was causing the engine to throw some odd codes which all related to fuel pressure issues. Pulling the injectors found some injectors that were a bit gummed up. The injector replacement was a Hail Mary attempt at resolving the problem. It wasn't until after that didn't work that we stumbled onto the charger issue.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:39 AM   #48
Guru

City: gulf coast
So how does one isolate the starting battery from house and still have backup charging for the start batteries.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:24 AM   #49
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
The Duo Charge was causing the engine to throw some odd codes which all related to fuel pressure issues. Pulling the injectors found some injectors that were a bit gummed up. The injector replacement was a Hail Mary attempt at resolving the problem. It wasn't until after that didn't work that we stumbled onto the charger issue.
So it's most likely that the injector work is the source of your fuel leak into the oil. Fix that, change the oil, and you should be on your way. Hopefully the people who did the work will acknowledge their workmanship error(s) and fix the problem on their dime, but that would be counter to the Industry norms. Unfortunately my experience is that you pay someone to fix something, as part of that process you pay them to break something, then you pay them to fix what they broke.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:03 PM   #50
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
So it's most likely that the injector work is the source of your fuel leak into the oil. Fix that, change the oil, and you should be on your way. Hopefully the people who did the work will acknowledge their workmanship error(s) and fix the problem on their dime, but that would be counter to the Industry norms. Unfortunately my experience is that you pay someone to fix something, as part of that process you pay them to break something, then you pay them to fix what they broke.
Yup, that is the plan. They acknowledged that the smoking problem I was having was their issue. After Sunday they have also acknowledged that the oil pressure problem is their issue.

So far I have paid them to fix something that didn't needing fixing. While fixing what didn't need to be fixed they broke something else. While fixing what they broke while fixing something that didn't need to be fixed they broke something else yet again.

I'm just hoping they can fix what they broke while fixing what they broke the last time they were fixing what they broke while fixing something that didn't need to be fixed in the first place while trying to fix something else.

Ain't boat ownership fun?

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 01:09 PM   #51
Guru

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
Quote:
Just give them your credit card. Pick it up when you sell the boat.
SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 01:11 PM   #52
Guru

Are there not groups in your area that do boat work and stand behind it?
Old 06-27-2017, 03:05 PM   #53
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
They'd be over there riding the unicorns.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 03:10 PM   #54
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
So far I have paid them to fix something that didn't needing fixing. While fixing what didn't need to be fixed they broke something else. While fixing what they broke while fixing something that didn't need to be fixed they broke something else yet again.

I'm just hoping they can fix what they broke while fixing what they broke the last time they were fixing what they broke while fixing something that didn't need to be fixed in the first place while trying to fix something else.

I'm going to frame that and hang it outside my ER as a reminder.....
Old 06-27-2017, 04:27 PM   #55
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Yup, that is the plan. They acknowledged that the smoking problem I was having was their issue. After Sunday they have also acknowledged that the oil pressure problem is their issue.

Darn, Dave... Reading that... I'm all dizzy now!! Hope it comes together for you this next time. - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 05:09 PM   #56
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
I'm going to frame that and hang it outside my ER as a reminder.....
Yup, good suggestion.

I'm not sure any of us are immune from well intentioned but not quite capable repairmen. The stories each of us have could fill a large shelf I'm sure. Remembering a few years ago when a FB enclosure was finished a week before minor gelcoat repairs turned into frosted Stratglas. yada yada.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:06 PM   #57
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
That reminds me of the auto brake repair company who always stood behind their work, but with the car parked facing downhill.
Seriously, one day dhays might share with us his remarkable coping strategies.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:46 PM   #58
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:

Well, the good is that they are owning up to their mistakes. The bad is that their competency leaves much to be desired. Now, if you can just get everything fixed, then perhaps find someone else for future work.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:57 PM   #59
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
That reminds me of the auto brake repair company who always stood behind their work, but with the car parked facing downhill.
Seriously, one day dhays might share with us his remarkable coping strategies.
I believe that is called "Nature of the Beast". And, in all due, much deserved respect to Dave... that is a heck of a good portion of one's nature to have!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:56 PM   #60
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:

And yet there are still some who wonder why those of us who have them, love our simple and reliable old Ford Lehmans so much.