weak lift pump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meridian

Guru
Vessel Name
Meridian
Vessel Make
Krogen-42
When i reconfigured my fuel system i added about 15' between the tanks and engine. After chasing all my leaks i still can't keep the engine running for more than a few minutes. I can use my primer bulb to pump up pressure and the engine will restart without having to bleed the system.

I think the engine lift pump may be marginal. It's a 30 yr old lehman.

Any other ideas?

I'd call Bob or Brian Smith at American Diesel. They, particulary Bob, know more about the FL120 than anyone and may be able to diagnose your problem over the phone. The lift pump could certainly be the culprit but there are other potential causes, too, one or more tiny air leaks being one of them.

New lift pumps are cheap. Plus American Diesel will have a kit that includes a new rubber hose feeding the pump. Mine was old and most likely collapsing and shutting off the fuel after a few hours of running. I say most likely because I didn't troubleshoot for that I just replaced both per AD's recommendation.

I talked to Brian at ad. He said the pump can pull the extra hose length. I pulled the lift pump so i could make sure it was ok. It looked like 2 of the 6 screws that hold it together were loose. I opened it up and it all looked ok. I put it back together and the engine runs without any issues. Go figure.

Unless things have changed, the rebuild kits for the FL120s lift pump are no longer available. New complete pumps were/are, but not the rebuild kits. So said Bob Smith at American Diesel when I tried to order a couple of rebuild kits a number of years ago. Has the situation changed and rebuild kits are avaialble again?

Back
Top Bottom