Weak fuel tanks CHB 34

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Randomwake

Vessel Name
Random wake
Vessel Make
76’ CHB 34’ tricabin
I’ve heard some rumblings about weak fuel tanks in the CHB 34. I’ve got a 1976 and was told by previous owner that he never filled it full due to tank worries and aging fuel. Are these fuel tanks that bad and is there any warning signs.

Thanks very much!

Fuel is likely OK. Most owners use additives such as StaBil or BioBor. Drain your filters into a clear glass jar and inspect for presence of water. If present fuel will need polishing or a Racor filter installation.

Tanks can be a significant issue. Exterior rust on the tanks is a clear warning that remediation is required. The whole exterior of each tank should be visually inspected for rust using LED flashlight and mirror or a borescope in inaccessible areas. Particular attention to lower seams and area around fill tube on top of tank.

Interior inspection with borescope to the extent possible should also be done.

Significant rust would be reason to immediately shut off automatic switch on bilge pump. There are numerous threads on tank removal. Pristine shiny metal inside and out, then you can sleep at night.

Last edited:
Just because they are old doesn’t mean they are bad, necessarily. They may be going bad or they may be fine. Check them out as best you can as said above. Then work out a plan for replacement for when they do go bad. Set aside the money, a lot, and do some research on replacing them so you will be prepared if you plan on keeping the boat.

IF fuel tanks are kept from rusting , there is no reason they would ever need replacing .

I scraped this off the top of my starboard tank a couple of years ago but the tank was still solid. I treated and painted the tank with a kit from Eastwood.

Attachments

• IMG_1463.jpg
    IMG_1463.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 12
I’ve heard some rumblings about weak fuel tanks in the CHB 34. I’ve got a 1976 and was told by previous owner that he never filled it full due to tank worries and aging fuel. Are these fuel tanks that bad and is there any warning signs.

Thanks very much!

Worries are just that. You need to satisfy yourself on the evidence that you can see.

Old fuel? My tanks hold approximately 1100 litres each. at 100 hrs a year, 15l/hr, I have almost a 2 year supply. In low travel years, 3. I have owned this boat 27 years and haven't ever seen reason to worry about the age of my fuel. The bowl on the Racor filters will tell you the condition of your fuel. Mine stay clean between filter changes, which now, with the very clean fuel supplied (Low and Ultra Low Sulphur fuel get all other contaminants removed in the processes) are infrequent.

I would rather know how much fuel I have aboard, by filling to the top every time, than worry about low fuel levels allowing the pickup to draw from the dregs at the bottom of the tank, or running out far from a fuel supplier. You can choose which kind of worries to adopt.

CHB tanks are the same steel as other brands. Taiwan builders would all have had the same access to the steel that was available at the time. Some brands used aluminum, so have other issues with their tanks, sometimes far worse than for those of us with steel tanks.
Failure of the deck above will allow water to sit on the top of the tank, and when that has persisted for years, can rust through, introducing water into the fuel below, with the possibility of damage to the wet part of the bottom. Inspection of the top should be possible, though never easy. In my Taiwan built boat with steel tanks, there are hatches in the saloon floor above all of the tank fittings but for the one that is most important, but the space allowed is adequate for an inspection of all, including the deck fill. There you can see whether there is, or has ever been, failure of the deck above, and deal with it.

The second, and most unpredictable failure is of the welds fastening the panels together, which can rust from the inside or from the outside. The result will be the same, a pinhole leak.

The third, and least likely leak will be failure of the sheet metal itself. This can occur in aluminum tanks from contact with dis-similar metals, or in steel, from internal or external rust.

If you don't have a leak, and you don't have any evidence of failure of the deck above and can see enough of the body of the tank to be sure there are no trouble spots, you are not likely to need any immediate remediation. As pointed out above, properly built tanks should last as long as any other system on your boat.

Last edited:
our boat is not a ghb but has an alum fuel tank. a few years ago we filled up and the boat sat for 6 years without being taken out. no fuel issues what so ever.

Back
Top Bottom