Volvo TAMD 60 b

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CapnJack

Veteran Member
Good evening. Looking at an Island Gypsy 44 Flush Deck 1979 vintage with the Volvo TAMD 60b with Hurth transmissions. The boat is used in fresh water and has been moored in brackish water near Stockton Ca. The boat has 1200 hours and looks very well maintained. I am going to get a mechanical inspection done with oil samples. I need to know if I should maybe just forget it since Volvo parts are scarce and expensive or should I go forward hoping I don’t have anything catastrophic happen. Please throw your wisdom my way as we really like the boat, but not wanting to regret the Volvo’s. Thanks in advance. Btw. We will be trucking it to North Idaho to retire on Lake Cda. Cheers!

Had Volvos in a previous boat, never again. Parts take forever and better bring gold. I don’t even look at a boat that has them in it. But that’s just me, some people love them.

The 60 is a good engine, but there may be parts not available. Go to a Volvo dealer and see if you can get an aftercooler, oil cooler, cylinder kits, etc. If they say no, then walk.

Parts are pricey, no doubt, but if they are at least available that becomes a tolerable situation.

Back
Top Bottom