Old 02-26-2021, 10:24 AM   #21
Guru

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmys57 View Post
Thanks for that info- I would rather not have to lower the engine. I assume if I put 1.6:1 unit in I would need a lower pitched prop and if I went with the 2.5:1 more pitch. Also was told that the offset of the reduction units is different and the engine height would still have to be adjusted not sure about that though.
There are several online prop calculators that will suggest correct size for different ratios.

Can't say with 100% certainty but to my knowledge all CR2's should have same output shaft height. Some models might use 71C transmission and some might use 72C but that shouldn't change height. Whoever you buy from should have exact measurements.

SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 07:31 PM   #22

City: Panama City Beach
Took my old transmission to ADR power systems yesterday. They were very hepful and tore the unit down right away. Fouund out today(as expected) that the damaged gears were basically unavalible and the transmission is worthless. They think that it must have been run alot with little or no lubrication at some point. (before I owned it) Great guys there-charged me nothing to tear down. Luckily I found an exact replacement transmission at a boat yard in Palmetto Fl. advertized on facebook marketplace. Guy had a video of the transmisssion operating on test stand so decided to take a chance on it. Installing tommorow morning. Hoping for the best so we can get home. Thanks again everyone for your help.

Jimmys57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 08:27 PM   #23

City: Montgomery
Vessel Name: Choices
Vessel Model: 36 Grand Banks Europa
Keep your old one for parts.
Choices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 10:08 PM   #24
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
Great to hear that your problem seems to have found a good solution.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 01:22 AM   #25
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Although none listed here may fit [took two minutes to locate] - If I were you... I'd search google for used, good condition BW trans that meets your need. I'm pretty confident they are out there! Might need new seals etc... but probably a lot less expensive and faster too than finding parts for full rebuild.

https://modesto.craigslist.org/bpo/d...282957334.html

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/bpo...281824524.html

Used Marine Transmissions | Velevet Drive Transmissions - Hurth Transmissions

Good Luck!!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 02:46 AM   #26
Guru

City: Anacortes
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
Harbor Marine out of Everett, Washington will know your answers. They are a major Velvet Drive rebuilder. (425) 259-3285

I know they are on the other side of the country but Mike built the transmission business at Harbor Marine over many years. He is as good as they come and I first had him working on my boats more than 20 years ago. Very few people I recommend anymore. Id take his recommendation in a heartbeat.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 10:16 AM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmys57 View Post
Took my old transmission to ADR power systems yesterday. They were very hepful and tore the unit down right away. Fouund out today(as expected) that the damaged gears were basically unavalible and the transmission is worthless. They think that it must have been run alot with little or no lubrication at some point. (before I owned it) Great guys there-charged me nothing to tear down. Luckily I found an exact replacement transmission at a boat yard in Palmetto Fl. advertized on facebook marketplace. Guy had a video of the transmisssion operating on test stand so decided to take a chance on it. Installing tommorow morning. Hoping for the best so we can get home. Thanks again everyone for your help.
Great find.
I hope you heed the advise given to install a new damper plate since the tranny is out. They are not expensive and now is the right time.
Let us know how it works out after your sea trial.

New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 11:18 AM   #28
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Borg Warner rebuild kits... Hope your BW model is included. I bet there are ways to locate the kit for your trany! Good Luck!!

https://www.google.com/search?source...=1614442272082
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 11:40 AM   #29

City: Baltimore Md
Vessel Name: Graceful
Vessel Model: Marine Trader
A little off subject here but I have the same Lehman135 with the velvet drive trans. Can anyone tell me what type of fluid I should be using in it.
gonesailing13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 12:03 PM   #30
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesailing13 View Post
A little off subject here but I have the same Lehman135 with the velvet drive trans. Can anyone tell me what type of fluid I should be using in it.
If it's red fluid then its Dexron III ATF.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 03:25 PM   #31

City: Panama City Beach
Mine was way beyond a rebuild kit- damaged gears etc. Installed new trans. today with the help of an experienced mechanic. Actually pretty easy install except for the weight. Even so us 2 old dudes muscled it in ok. After this experience I am thinking of carring a spare transmission on board- especially sence I am single screw. Leaving Twin Rivers Marina ,Crystal River now after a long week here. Nice place but no-see-ums eat you alive! Thanks to everyone for your help
Jimmys57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 03:28 PM   #32
Guru

You won't need to carry a spare tranny. This one should be good for many many hours.

New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 04:15 PM   #33
Veteran Member

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Czech Mate
Vessel Model: President 41
I had my BW VD rebuilt about two years ago by Transmission Marine in Fort Lauderdale. Only took them about a week once they got it. Very friendly and very good. Highly recommend. There is also a place in Seattle which I think was also mentioned for fabricating parts. That is accurate and I got a quote there as well - both were priced about the same. Went with FL since I live in the SE. Can't say enough good things about the experience and feel free to pm any questions.
jsplichal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 04:21 PM   #34
Veteran Member

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Czech Mate
Vessel Model: President 41
Sorry. Just read back a couple posts and see you have a "new" transmission. May consider giving Transmission Marine a call. Not sure but there is a chance that if any of your old transmission is salvageable they may be interested in purchasing parts for future rebuilds.
jsplichal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 01:49 PM   #35
Veteran Member

City: Rockland, ME
Vessel Name: Leap of Faith
Vessel Model: Mainship 34. Mk III
Very expensive if you can find it

That sun gear shaft is no longer manufactured. 😕. The pinion gear is still available at $500. You could have a micro weld shop repair the splines.
Lecomte38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 02:39 PM   #36
Veteran Member

City: Annapolis MD
Vessel Name: Snowbird
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 32
Just as another data point and not an expert opinion:

My little 1977 Grand Banks 32 has the same transmission model (10-13-000-003, Serial No. 4154, 2.1:1 reduction gear), installed in 1987 according to a maintenance note in the boat's papers. In 2001 it was mated to a new 2001 American Diesel 140, the last of the line (rated at 139hp but essentially the same as your 135).

I suggest you call Brian Smith at American Diesel (804) 435-3107 for the best info. He really knows his stuff about both the Ford engines and the Velvet Drive transmissions. He also has records of engines and transmissions going WAY back, which may be helpful.
tomdove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 03:57 PM   #37
Veteran Member

City: Naples Fl
Vessel Name: Phantom
Vessel Model: Cheer Men PT41
Transmission Marine Fort Lauderdale 954 941 5093 have rebuilt both my drop center Velvet Drives in the past 3 years.
Don't listen to all the naysayers, all parts are still available although TM do get some parts manufactured for them.
They are first class with impressive workshops and staff.
Get them to recon the unit while you're at it and change the drive damper plate when it's all apart.
Attached Thumbnails
recon port tranny.jpg  
mickand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 05:59 PM   #38
Guru

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickand View Post
Transmission Marine Fort Lauderdale 954 941 5093 have rebuilt both my drop center Velvet Drives in the past 3 years. Don't listen to all the naysayers, all parts are still available although TM do get some parts manufactured for them. They are first class with impressive workshops and staff. Get them to recon the unit while you're at it and change the drive damper plate when it's all apart.
Naysayers? No, just realists. Any transmission shop can replace disks and seals for the typical rebuild. Bearings are also readily available. Try and find a CR2 control valve. It will cost as much as the transmission.

Keep your oil pan full and replace oil cooler on a schedule and you won't have any problems.
SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 11:00 AM   #39
Veteran Member

City: Echo Bay
Vessel Name: The Lady "K"
Vessel Model: Custom Steel Trawler 48'
Does anyone have a picture of a CR2 Control valve, just for my own interest

Thank you
Capt Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 03:46 PM   #40
Veteran Member

City: Naples Fl
Vessel Name: Phantom
Vessel Model: Cheer Men PT41
Realists? - no - I'm back to naysayers.
I hate giving out false information so I called Transmission Marine and a CR2 valve which they admit they'd machine themselves would be less than $600.
They restated that they have all parts to rebuild a 'drop' Velvet, although the main input shafts are becoming hard to find.

mickand is offline   Reply With Quote