Variable length power twist belts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Simi 60

Guru
Vessel Make
Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Anyone used one?

ihwx.b1d50ab3-1b04-44c2-a3c0-4f88f10c06ec.500.500.jpg

POWERTWIST V Belts | Fenner Drives

To replace the raw water pump belt on ours requires removing some gear whereas these would not.
Thinking it would make a better spare than a one piece belt.

Yep, I use them for the same reason, and carry a couple of spares and adjust length accordingly.

They've worked fine for the last four years.

Attachments

• DSC05557.jpg
    DSC05557.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 156
Thanks for that, a shopping I shall go.

I haven't used one myself but I know they've been popular for use on table saws for years.

I had one on a concrete mixer years ago. The idler/tensioner pulley created a sharp bend that caused normal belts to fail. The red thing worked a treat.

Seen those before where belt path was trapped (see above). Thought they were BS. Then did some checking around and found out they were quite durable. AND easy to change in trapped paths.

I’ve not seen those before, but I am thinking that it would make a good spare belt to have on board.

We've used them on machinery at work and found them to be durable, although they tended to slip in some very high load applications.

We've used them on machinery at work and found them to be durable, although they tended to slip in some very high load applications.

I am a mechanical idiot, but I wouldn’t think that the belts on the typical trawler would have a lot of load, or at least torque loads that would cause much slipping.

Any tips for installing these on a boats engine?

High output alternators under a big load, I could see those slipping.

I am a mechanical idiot, but I wouldn’t think that the belts on the typical trawler would have a lot of load, or at least torque loads that would cause much slipping.

The loads we used them on were much higher, (big cooling fans for 2000 hp engines in the desert) It also depends on the size of the pulley. If undersized there is less contact area to grab hold.

A big alternator does test put a lot of load on a belt but mainly because a small pulley is used to get higher rpm and output.

I have one in the spares on my boat. I always thought it was good for emergency use now I realize it may be more durable than I thought.

My stabilizer pump uses a cogged belt like you find on a car’s timing belt.

I had these in the spares kit for emergency use. Have never needed them but nice to know they have a good reputation.

Yep, I use them for the same reason, and carry a couple of spares and adjust length accordingly.

They've worked fine for the last four years.
How does their sizing work on the website.

I first came across these belts on a boat I purchased, first thought was that they were used for emergency only. Belt manufacturer web site claims 10+ times longer life than rubber belts. They are used extensively in industrial applications where long life is needed. They do cost more than standard belts.

Even though I have 2 brand new belts as spares, I bought one of these in case the alternator bearing seizes. I can go from the crank pulley to the coolant pump pulley directly to prevent overheating and get to a marina somewhere.

Even though I have 2 brand new belts as spares, I bought one of these in case the alternator bearing seizes. I can go from the crank pulley to the coolant pump pulley directly to prevent overheating and get to a marina somewhere.

Excellent idea!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom