V-903

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Big bore V8. You can stick your head in the cylinders. Well, not really, but it is pretty big. Wet liners. Same PT injection system that has powered MILLIONS of 855 road tractor engines.

I ran one that was TA at 450hp. Super nice running engines, had been in the boat for 20yrs and almost no repairs needed. I liked them. Nice manners.

I think now parts are getting hard to get, but have not kept up with that. That would be the crux.

Last edited:

Their from 1968 methinks....

Engines
Total Power: 740 HP
Cruising Speed: 16 knots @ 2400 RPM
Maximum Speed: 20 knots
Engine 1:
Engine Brand: Cummins
Engine Model: V-903
Engine Type: Inboard
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Engine Hours: 4,150
Engine 2:

Engine Brand: Cummins
Engine Model: V-903
Engine Type: Inboard
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Engine Hours: 4,150

The 903 is old tech, very heavy, not very fuel efficient, noisy, and very particular about the chemical status of its coolant.
That said, there are quite a lot of them still in use, many of them original motors in very old boats.
My own favorite thing about them is that the rumble they create underwater is renowned for raising really big Marlin!

The VT-903M was used in the former USCG 41' utility boat.

I recall they were noisy and smoky; I spent many occasions cleaning the transoms of soot. I also recall they always ran, normally at idle or WOT, and asked only for clean fuel in return. Sure, our folks did maintenance on them - but I don't recall ever returning on one engine. It was not an engine that gave us trouble or worries from my operator perspective. Please understand that we were the government and we could/did destroy almost everything.

My experience with those motors ended in 1995, and I know nothing about parts availability today.

903s haven't been built for 30 years, but parts are there with some looking. They were used in military marine and truck, farm tractors and combines, and industrial applications. Known for reliability but not fuel economy, but you can buy a lot of fuel for what an engine change costs. Used engines, to save for parts are cheap. The non turbo engines go much longer between overhauls. In over-the-road trucks they're known as million mile engines.
Unless you have a disaster failure, everything can be rebuilt by someone.

Back
Top Bottom